on 23 October 2011
You have to have been along from the begining to really feel the full impact of this beautiful film. "They **** you up, your Mum and Dad," said Phillip Larkin and this feature explores at some length, why Georg Bjarnfredarson is so ****ed up by his overly politically correct mother. Throughout the series, Georg has been an embarrassing, cringe inducing character, but Jon Gnarr's portrayal never made me hate him, or turn my back on him. We may want to slap Georg, but we also care deeply for him. A wonderful story of redemption and the power of love and friendship between three misfit men that made me laugh, cry and ultimately applaud my DVD player. If only there was more stuff like this around!
on 4 December 2011
Obsession with the fantastic TV series started after the BBC had the foresight to screen the first series, Naeturvaktin (Night Shift). At first I thought it quirky but strangely watchable. As the series progressed, my family and I were hooked. It is the strangest mix of comedy, tragedy and drama you will ever come across. The characters are very distinct, and are played brilliantly. I purchased Naeturvaktin (Day Shift) on the strength of seeing Naeturvaktin on the TV. That was so good too that I also splashed out on a DVD set of Naeturvaktin, Fangavaktin (Prison Shift) and of course Bjarnfredarson, the feature film finale to the series. I am not the least bit surprised that the series became a huge phenomenon in its home country of Iceland, and not the least bit shocked that the feature film did better box office than Avatar in Iceland. Don't be put off by the fact that it is subtitles; it will give you the perfect excuse to watch it all over again in case you missed anything! I don't think you have to have watched the TV series to be able to enjoy the movie, but you will probably want to..
on 26 February 2013
A superb way to round off the 'Vaktin' cycle. The three TV series and this film are refreshingly astute compared to the manufactured 'comedy/drama' churned out by the same old-faces on the increasingly parochial and politically driven BBC. Nothing in recent years in the UK even gets close to this which is a sad indication of the decline of British comedy in my opinion.

Rant over. I would heartily recommend you watch them all and I would also recommend you get them from source (approx. 18 Euros for 'Bjarnfredarson' and 22 Euros for each of the TV series)as Amazon prices are quite frankly a rip off free delivery or not
on 31 July 2012
I was hooked as others were after catching The Night Shift, then I bought the set of the Prison Shift then Day Shift, then Bjarnfredarson which is the final film to end the series. It was hilariously funny and also poignant at the same time. It was extremely well written, acted and the bleak Icelandic terrain added to the atmosphere. I loved every moment of this series and would highly recommend for anyone wanting a collection of DVDs to become engrossed in. I am sad that there will be no more. Maybe the writers could come up with another series with new characters.
66 comments|4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2013
A wonderful film which rounds off a brilliant series, and also explains the bizarre and disturbed character of Georg Bjarnfredursson who is the main protagonist in this not to be missed sequence of comedies. I cannot praise this Icelandic saga enough, wonderful situations, great story-lines, exemplary characterisations by all the actors involved in the films. I am so glad that I now own the whole series, and I know that I will be watching them all again and again in the future. Don't be put off by the sub-titles or by the expense, as the DVDs are pricey. It's an investment well worth making for such great entertainment. THANK YOU ICELANDERS.