4.0 out of 5 stars A highly original and readable tale
Published on 16 May 2012 by Mrs. Pauline M. Ross

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for nowt
It was okay for nothing quite a good read a bit confusing with all the different realms. Not sure if I will buy the next book in the series.
Published 18 months ago by Old Hobbit in Cas

4.0 out of 5 stars A highly original and readable tale, 16 May 2012
This review is from: Draykon (The Draykon Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is right on the very edge of my comfort zone. The main character, Llandry, is a diminutive humanoid with, erm, wings. Are we talking about a fairy here? I'm not sure I really DO fairies. And yet... There is enough here to intrigue. There are various different adjoining kingdoms, some with some kind of technology, which is interesting enough all by itself. And then some seem to live in permanent day, some in permanent night, and some in a kind of twilight zone, if I've understood correctly (which I probably haven't; it's complicated). Then there are the 'gates' to the Upper world and the Lower world, and various creatures can (and do) pop through from the other side, and that is another kind of interesting. There are sorcerers and summoners and all sorts of magic going on, and yes, I'm definitely intrigued. And this world is populated with people who have proper families and relationships and jobs and pets even (creatures from beyond the gates, but still...) and I have to say, I like it. And Llandry herself is not like any heroine I've ever come across before. She has panic attacks, for one thing. So it's different, but I really like it. Just don't mention the wings.

The opening is lovely; a little fey, rather strange but quite beautiful, in its way. And once the main story gets under way, it sucks you in and it's hard to put down. What is going on with these odd gems that Llandry has discovered? What are the creatures popping up here, there and everywhere? Why are random gates appearing? It's a rapid acceleration into a fairly breath-taking sequence of events, which I found very readable - one of those just-one-more-chapter type books.

I love the world-building in this book. I have absolutely zero idea how it all hangs together - there's an Upper World and a Middle World and a Lower World and... well, that's about it really. But I love the ideas - the sudden shifts and the strange plants and colours and wildlife. And the odd light. It's all slightly surreal, like a dream-world, and the author conveys that brilliantly. It would make a cracking film, actually.

The characters are all very likeable in realistic ways. I very much liked Llandry and her parents, and the mysterious Devary. The other main character is Eva, a Summoner (someone who has an empathic bond with various creatures, and can find them and bend them to her will). The various minor characters - sorcerers, summoners, Eva's fiancé - have their own quirky charm and feel realistic, with histories and emotions and relationships. And many of the odd creatures are very much characters in their own right.

Some quibbles: there are a lot of characters to keep track of, of various races, and the names are no help, being seemingly random collections of letters strung together. Without a map or some kind of guide, it's impossible to separate the various kingdoms (countries?), or work out what all the different plants and animals are (although, on the whole, it doesn't matter much). And I struggled to understand the whole business of Daylands and Darklands and the Night Cloak. At one point I was reduced to trying to draw a basic map, just to work out some of the journeys later in the story. The author is working on a proper map, so that will be a great help when it's available.

I have to confess that this is one of the most unpredictable books I've ever read. There was simply no knowing what was going to happen next, and none of it felt contrived at all (well - only a little, and not in an unbelievable way). And there's an event at the end which completely blew my mind; there was no way on earth I could ever have seen that coming. And, yes, I will definitely be reading the rest of the series, I absolutely have to find out what exactly is going on and how it all works out. This is not a book for everyone, it would be too quirky and fey for some tastes, but it's a nicely written, intriguing story and I really liked it. Even the wings stopped bothering me after a while. Four stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars boring read, 4 Jun 2013
This review is from: Draykon (The Draykon Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book was to repetitive and the story to drawn out and predictable. Overall quite boring and I found myself skipping pages

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for nowt, 31 Jan 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly didn't live up to the reviews., 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Draykon (The Draykon Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Being an avid fantasy fan, I'm sad to say this one did not live up to the my expectations based on the reviews I read. I persevered with it only because of the reviews, with a hope that I would be grabbed by the characters and/or the plot. Unfortunately I only ended up being glad it was a free download.

My hope is that the following books might be better as the plot did have some potential however, based on the writing of this one, I don't think it's for me. In writing this review, I only hope to give a little balance - based on my own experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars An epic fantasy has begun, 16 April 2012
This review is from: Draykon (The Draykon Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Draykon tell the story of Llandry, a talented jeweler who has some pretty extreme social anxiety. While wandering through the forest one day she discovers a cavern filled with a wondrous new stone. She calls it "istore" and begins to set the stones into her jewelry fixtures. Their popularity explodes and everything is going great until her customers start to turn up dead.

I really enjoyed Charlotte's writing style and her unique world. The seven realms were a bit confusing a first, but as I read more I was able to understand them much better. The races she introduced had some very interesting properties as well. As the tale follows Llandry she explores some of the other realms and discovers some secrets about her past, which really helps add some depth to her character. Since Llandry has such limited social interaction her character doesn't develop as most do. I may have related to her a little bit more than most since I have some social anxiety issues myself.

This is a series that I will be following for sure and I'll keep an eye out for anything else that Charlotte writes.

Review copy provided by the author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Away with the Fairies, 3 July 2013
This review is from: Draykon (The Draykon Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I thought this was an ok read more a fairy tale. Not sure if I'd read the rest of the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Draykon book 1, 2 Feb 2013
L. G. Phitikides (Lincoln UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Draykon (The Draykon Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Yes it was OK but lacking somehow ; The story line was very good but got complex and kind of kept dragging on

4.0 out of 5 stars Some intriguing and original ideas, 14 Oct 2012
K. Sawyer (Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Draykon (The Draykon Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Always on the lookout for something a bit different in the fantasy genre, so I took a chance with this author, not least because of the very reasonable cost, I must admit. Really enjoyed the whole series which, like the heroine, increased in confidence as it progressed. The world(s) Ms English has created were intriguing and the characters appealing. I won't dish out spoilers, but in a genre which can be a little predictable at times, it's nice to say 'well, I did not see that coming!'. The story was engaging enough to forgive some roughness around the edges of the writing; I may be wrong but this felt like a fairly inexperienced writer who could have used a good editor - the language and style sometimes got a bit lumpy and I felt that maybe someone overused the thesaurus on occasion. That said, they are well worth a read and more than worth the cost. I've moved on to her Malykant Mysteries which are shaping up well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charlotte E.English, a name to watch out for!, 26 Mar 2012
This review is from: Draykon (The Draykon Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Having just recently converted to Kindle, I bought both this & it's sequel,Lokant after reading a short story by the author. This is a fabulous work of fantasy literature, completely encapsulating the reader in it's world, and it's descritpive power is one of the things that makes it easy to believe in. In some parts of the story, it almost feels like you're reading through a film plot (and I hope this goes on to become one), as you have everything established in one area of the Seven Realms, and the next you're transported to mysteries in another. The ending is not something you could ever guess, and leaves you hungry for the follow up, which I'm reading now. The characters are spendidly lifted off the page and into the mind's eye, and everything is vivid throughout. I look forward to seeing much more from this author, as I've already become a fan!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed it, 26 Mar 2012
This review is from: Draykon (The Draykon Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book illustrates the beauty of indie publishing. It's as good as any book you would pick up from one of the big six, and if not for indie publishing, it might never have hit the shelves. That would have been a loss to any fantasy reader. Draykon is well written, well edited, and a gripping story. I'm used to reading epic fantasy with big battles and fights between good and evil. Draykon is very different, more like a murder mystery in a fantasy setting. The world English portrays, with its colourful trees and strange animals made me think of Pandora in the film Avatar. But the societies are more like ones you might find in a 19th century classic, with carriages and markets and high society women shopping for jewellery. You might think these ideas would clash, but they don't. The world of the Seven Realms is entirely convincing. I found myself liking all the characters and really wanting to know what happens next. The story didn't pan out how I was expecting at all, which I liked. It ends at a great point for the sequel, which I'm looking forward to reading.

I'd recommend this book for anyone who likes a bit of originality in their fantasy.

Draykon (The Draykon Series Book 1)
Draykon (The Draykon Series Book 1) by Charlotte E. English