5.0 out of 5 stars You Don't Need To Be A Fan To Enjoy This Book
I'm a bit of a Dave Gorman fan. Not the creepy, stalky kind, but I narrowly missed his 'Are You Dave Gorman?' gig, caught and thoroughly enjoyed his 'Googlewhack' gig, read and liked both his earlier books, and am always happy to see him pop up on TV. So I was pleased when my partner bought this book to read on a recent holiday, and have just read it myself...
Published on 25 Jun 2011 by Dr. H. Kara

3.0 out of 5 stars Strangely flat
I've enjoyed Dave Gorman's previous books but for some reason this one was a bit of a disappointment.

Published on 16 Sep 2011 by Peter Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Strangely flat, 16 Sep 2011
Peter Lee (Manchester ,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Dave likes playing games - not computer games, but "proper" games, maybe involving a board, maybe something you throw, possibly cards or other things you place on a table. One day he posted a message on Twitter asking if anyone fancied playing a game and he received numerous responses inviting him to play the likes of Cluedo, Monopoly, and some less familiar examples such as Khet, Kubb, and IDVE. The book then sees Dave travel around the country to meet these people and play a game. Some of these meetings are planned, some are not - such as when he is invited to play a card game with some elderly American tourists in a Lakeland hotel - and some are eventful whilst others aren't.

Despite the occasional laughs the book feels a little aimless, as though Dave doesn't really know what to do with it. Some of his other books have eventually had some kind of moment of epiphany, where he's had something of a moment of clarity and discovered something about life etc. but this time he just wanders from meeting to meeting and the book doesn't even have an ending - a fact he admits himself on the final page. I confess that at the end I did feel a little "oh - is that it?" despite having enjoyed most of my time with the book.

I did like the numerous footnotes, many of which include web links to YouTube clips etc. explaining passages from the text, and the cover is very nicely designed. The book itself though is amiable but a bit aimless, and therefore a little disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Don't Need To Be A Fan To Enjoy This Book, 25 Jun 2011
Dr. H. Kara (England) - See all my reviews

The thing is, though, I don't think it matters if you've never heard of Dave Gorman, because this is a really good book. It's well-written, funny, engaging and very readable. Dave Gorman manages to reflect on subjects including friendship, relationships, tribalism, gender and risk without ever getting heavy or didactic. The 'voice' of the book is consistent and assured, and the way Dave Gorman writes the surprising end section is beautifully judged. If you enjoy quirky, humorous memoir or travelogue, I'd recommend this book highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorman On Another "Unexpected" Journey, 18 Jan 2012
A. Marczak "mazzarak" (Mordor) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Dave Gorman has effectively created the bloke-meets-challenge genre. Previous escapades have involved searching for namesakes (Are You Dave Gorman?, internet search anomalies Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure, and brand-free roadtrips America Unchained.

Whereas the first of these starts out as a bet, and the third was born out of an idea for a film, the principle behind this book is more similar to "Googlewhack", i.e. Gorman has the spark of an idea and then runs with it, and out the other end comes a book.

But because this is now a tried and tested method, there is always the lingering doubt that it's never as spontaneous as it first appears. "If it's all done off-the-cuff, how does he remember so much about it?" is a question that springs to mind throughout (certainly the beginning of) this book. In fact, there is a whole chapter devoted to his agent and an agency discussing his latest "project" as Gorman looks innocently on, wondering what they could be talking about. I'm not convinced, but I can let that sort of thing slide if the "story" is worth reading.

The writing style is clever enough and funny enough to keep me interested. There is a mix of games that hark back to my childhood, combined with a few new games that I might now seek out and play myself. The book is a mixture of a story of a man trying to fill time while his loved one is away and a nostalgic look back at how people of a certain age used to play board games all the time.

As a writer, I think Gorman is one of the best at what he does. This doesn't capture the imagination like Are You Dave Gorman?, or Danny Wallace's Yes Man or Join Me: The True Story of a Man Who Started a Cult by Accident, but as a trip down memory lane for thriysomething blokes, it'll do just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio book highly recommended, 7 Nov 2011
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I like Dave Gorman. I like his breezy, bloke about town style. I like his stand up and TV appearances but so far his books have been a bit ho hum to me. OK but not riveting. This one is though, and read by the man himself on audio is a true delight. There are quite a few diversions of a more personal nature interspersed between the game playing and some of those passages may come across as a bit self indulgent on the page but narrated here they put into perspective Dave's sometrimes quite barmy adventures and help ground them in reality. There are some genuinely laugh out load moments and his description of being driven over a rutted track in a minibus is pant-wetttingly funny.

Don't let me put you off the written work but if you get a chance to hear the audio version grab it with both hands

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best, 29 Oct 2011
NickP (In my lounge) - See all my reviews
This one was a little disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, I like Dave's books, standup, TV & radio shows, but this book just felt a bit flat.

It lacks the conceit that his earlier books do - there's no challenge to get across America / meet other Dave Gormans etc - it's just Dave travelling to a provincial town, chatting to a stranger, playing a board game at their kitchen table or throwing something wooden at something else wooden in a pub and then coming home again. Perhaps if he'd been challenged by an old schoolfriend who thought he was instictively good at games to get out there and win more than he loses, or if Dave had set out to infiltrate the world of bowls / live action role-play / pub dominoes leagues etc then it might have given us an insight into another walk of life that we the reader wouldn't otherwise have experienced, but it's just Dave writing about something he does to fill in off days. Whilst Dave keeps score of how many he wins and loses, which gives some sort of framework to the whole thing, he seems, unannounced, to stop bothering with this halfway through, which makes you question why you're still reading it.

There are some nice lines in there, some intriguing observations and the footnotes are always pleasing (and there's three or four _very_ good pages (you'll know which pages I mean if you've read the book), but this book just lacked 'it'. Shame. I'll buy Dave's next book though. Hope it's better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fancy a game?, 30 Jun 2011
Read Me (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
Having some spare time before his wedding and having 76,000 followers on Twitter, Dave asks everyone if they want to play with him. Gorman has done this before - travelling round the world to meet people related to googlewhacking websites or following people who share his name. He likes to meet people and he likes games so the combination of the two suits him just fine. Except he hasn't really thought this through, it was a smidge of whimsy that made him send that Tweet and random locational chance that delved its way through the weird and wonderful games on offer around the country.

Gorman's writing style is friendly, he is intent on making you feel part of this, sharing the games and conversations, explaining rules, explaining why certain people just gel for an allotted amount of time. It all makes this a confortable read to while away a couple of days without taxing the brain. Maybe it will rekindle memories of your own childhood games, or have you agreeing with him (what is the point of Guess Who?) or you might be inspired to start your own Ultimate Frisbee team. You also collect lots of random information along the way. I now know (sort of) the rules of darts, I know that I still don't understand poker, it seems quite nice to stay on a barge and there are three different types of frisbee throw. Useful stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars A winner, 9 Aug 2011
Bantam Dave (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
With time on his hands, Dave Gorman posts on Twitter that he is looking for people to play games with. The result of this is that soon he is playing Kubb in Milton Keynes, Khet in Didcot and Agricola in the Lake District. He doesn't always play unusual games neither because he also plays Poker in Liverpool, Monopoly in Windsor and Table Tennis in White City. He finds that on the whole, his opponents are decent people that help make the contests enjoyable until he meets someone that as a slightly different agenda to just playing a game....

Although it differs slightly from his previous books, in which he has written about a challenge he has set himself, this is nevertheless another fine book from Dave Gorman. He writes about his experiences with such enthusiasm that almost makes you want to do as he has done, or at least get that dust covered box of Cluedo off the top of the wardrobe. One of the strengths of Dave Gorman's books is that he always manages to bring the people he meets to life on the page, and in this book he excels himself. I particularly enjoyed his telling of the game of Subbuteo that he had in Cardiff, where his opponent had to keep his Subbuteo playing a secret from his disapproving wife and the game of Khet (aka Egyptian Laser Chess) that he had with two magicians.

This book is a joy to read, just what I have come to expect from Dave Gorman. I would even say that this is probably his best yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read..., 24 Jun 2011
P. Schofield (London) - See all my reviews
I don't know who Dave Gorman is, but I do like games.... bought this as I heard him on the radio, and it sounded amusing. And it is indeed an amusing and interesting gaming journey around the UK. I'm sure the sequel will be international!

5.0 out of 5 stars Game on, 2 Jun 2011
A very funny read.

If you have seen or read Dave Gorman before, this is excellent, and if not, then you had better start now.

Made me laugh out loud, and I was there for a small part of it... seems funnier now than it did at the time, and that is not because "things seem funnier after a while" but because Dave is a great story teller.

Well worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting Social outside Social Media through the power of Games, 21 April 2014
Amazon Customer (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
I had purchased the book ages ago and read recently whilst on holiday. I haven't read anything else by Dave Gorman but it was an entertaining experiment to tweet out to folks if they wanted to participate in games and encourage social interaction outside of social media domains! The risk run by this approach is demonstrated perfectly in the penultimate chapter, and I was sorry for poor Dave having to endure what he did in the manner that he did (any more disclosure would spoil it for expectant readers, apart from saying games should never intend to critically undermine or judge another's views on life). I commend his honesty in what he encountered.