on 1 March 2004
Author David Allen lists 52 basic principles for productivity, including: write everything down, do the jobs that nag you, focus on the matter at hand and so on. As he notes, the principles are both simple to understand and difficult to implement. The book is essentially a collection of gleanings from the author’s previous writings, so it does not present a systematic or unified approach to time and productivity management. However, Allen’s straightforward tips are handy, if sometimes duplicative. The number 52 suggests that you might find one helpful tip to use each week in a one-year program of self-improvement and productivity management. In that case, repetition is probably a good thing, since bad habits tend to spring up again like weeds and require the same remedies often. The author is relentlessly upbeat, optimistic and witty, like a motivational speaker. That might be hard to read in a big chunk, but it is easy to digest if you spend a little time every week reading a recommendation and implementing it. We recommend this book to anyone who urgently needs help with time management and productivity.
on 1 March 2006
David Allen has written another superb book on a subject everyone could make better use of. This book gives guidelines on how to improve ones overall method of dealing with life on a day-to-day basis. It does not preach to the reader about what must and must not happen. It does however give relevant examples that most people will be able to identify with. David explains how most people tend to deal with these situations and why this increases stress. He then demonstrates why his recommendation can add to an organised work method and thus relieve stress.
David has a wonderful writing style that is easy to read. His use of the English language coupled with his clear examples makes this book a joy to pick up.
This book is much broader in content than "Getting Things Done". I would recommend reading "Getting Things Done" if your life is one big mass of confusion, contradiction and generally not moving in one direction. "Ready for Anything" is a secondary phase to give more direction to all aspects of your life. All in all I enjoy reading David Allen's books. The information in them is invaluable and should be adopted by everyone. I will be keeping my copies and making regular reference to them.
on 12 September 2008
More philosophical musings than the hard useful advice of GTD. Funnily enough the summary at the end is better than the one in GTD, so it might be worth buying this book just for that summary.
on 26 April 2014
Impractical, change is not just intellectual, there are two more stages SEEING it and then BECOMING it.The author simply speculates in Mind about probable solutions to all problems and comes up with answers.What about the emotions behind each problem??.So this is a book from Intellectual speculation but nobody has all the problems nor do solutions work like that.So it becomes a useless book.
on 3 July 2008
David Allen's "Ready for Everything: 52 Productivity Principles for Work & Life" is excellent! As the companion book following his widely popular "Getting Things Done", it is a great addition to enhance personal productivity. I found myself revisiting the book time and again to get back on track whenever I felt overwhelmed. It inspired me to look with clarity and I discovered that it is entirely possible to make things happen with less stress and more effectiveness.

Another great resource I found that has helped me tremendously are books and podcasts by Ariel and Shya Kane. If you like David's approach, you might enjoy the Kanes' "Being Here: Modern Day Tales of Enlightenment", and "Working on Yourself Doesn't Work: A Book About Instantaneous Transformation". Though not specifically tailored for productivity, the Kanes' books have made a huge impact on my work and life because they have inspired me to look at the root- how I operate in my life and not to judge what I have done or see. It is very freeing to learn to live in the moment. I can be appropriate to what's showing up in my life and this helps me get things completed with satisfaction. I highly recommend them!
on 26 April 2012
I really liked the original gtd book. I was expecting this book to expand on the original book and provide practical hints and tips. It didn't. The style is very wordy and theoretical. Reminds me of one of those 70s zen books. Not what I was looking for
on 3 January 2015
Get the benefits of Dave Allen's learning condensed into this easily read, accessible book and you will not look back. Perhaps as a fan of Allen's Good To Do (GTD) principles I came to this book with certain expectations. If so, my expectations were surpassed by the author as he patiently builds upon the essential skills first expounded in GTD. Like many I probably had not got much beyond corralling a host of my open loops. This book has helped me lift my game and helped make me Ready For Anything. Seldom has such good advice been available to so many for such a small price. What's not to like?
on 31 March 2014
...and for some reason I don't feel able to read much further. Which is odd, because both "Getting Things Done" and "Making It All Work" are great books. This feels like the neglected middle book. Maybe it's something to do with its format - it is a collection of short essays and has the tone of 'improving' tomes of yesteryear. It all feels a bit samey, with each little section more or less repeating stuff from other sections with a slightly different spin. It has a few useful insights, but if you want more information on GTD in practice, "Making It All Work" is a much better book in my opinion.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 February 2013
This book is organised in short punchy chapters - if you're on the train or are short of time, this book is good for small bite sizes pieces - which can be read in 10 or 15 minutes.

However..
There's not the detail of Getting things done.

If you've read GTD, then this is good for small updates - as a refresher.

If you've not read GTD, then that is your first step.
on 9 November 2009
Whereas Getting Things Done is a very hands-on manual that not only help you understand GTD but also put it into practice, Ready For Anything is more of a reflection on GTD and all sorts of things that are related to it.
I strongly suggest reading this book AFTER you have read GTD, for it will allow you to better grasp the implications of, and the philosophy behind David Allen's method.

This book is only for those who are already familiar with GTD, I think.

Great stuff anyway.