5.0 out of 5 stars Is the PRW-2500 the perfect Protrek Watch?
Published on 3 Jun 2012 by bannonj

3.0 out of 5 stars General Evaluation
The watch functions are super, however I don't like the digital numbers size. They ar too small for me! Anyway it will be a good choice for anyone who can read perfectly
Published 8 months ago by Filipe Pinto

5.0 out of 5 stars Is the PRW-2500 the perfect Protrek Watch?, 3 Jun 2012
This review is from: Casio PRO-TREK Men's Radio Controlled Solar Digital Watch PRW-2500-1ER with Resin Strap (Watch)
Having previously owned a Protrek Prg-40 I expected great things from the PRW-2500 and I wasn't disappointed. The pictures on the web all showed the home screen of the watch with the tide graph taking up a large proportion of the face. However this can be turned off and replaced with the current year, as part of the date, if preferred. It still appears on the second screen along with the moon phase. The time and date on the second screen can be adjusted to check the tide/moon phase at any time or date without affecting the time and date on the main screen.

The radio control time works perfectly once it's set to the nearest city in it's data bank. (This city is also used to judge the tides). I also have a radio controlled clock and the time on both is exactly the same to the second. The moon phase display is 100% accurate.

The barometer works better than on the Prg-40 and as the graph stays on the home screen it's easy to predict weather changes.

The countdown timer has changed from the Prg-40 also. The earlier model allowed continuous countdown timing which I found useful for starting runners at orienteering events. On the PRW-2500 this is not possible or if it is I can't figure out how to do it.

I have never found electronic compasses to be as accurate as the real thing but they are useful as back up or in emergencies. The compass on the PRW-2500 is very similar to other electronic compasses I have tried including the Prg-40. It is good enough for emergencies or as backup.

The altimeter suffers from the same problems as the earlier protrek models. Because it operates by atmospheric pressure it needs to be set before a trip and will still not be accurate if the atmospheric pressure changes while you're hiking. It does act as a rough guide however.

There are 5 alarms which are easy enough to set. There is a world time screen which allows you to set a second city or UTC time if you need to keep track of time in a second time zone.

There is a battery indicator which shows L, M & H for low, medium and high charge. Mine has remained on high since I got it but it would be useful to have a warning if the battery went low. The watch also goes into battery saving mode, at night, if it's not used. However tilting it up to look at it, moving it or pressing any button returns it to normal mode immediately. The first time this happened I thought I had imagined the screen blank because when I picked it up to look at it the figures were back. The next morning I looked carefully before moving it and then realised what had happened. Of course it tells you in the manual but I'd missed that page.

I have a small wrist but the watch does sit comfortably even if it looks a bit big on it.

It's not the perfect Protrek Watch but it is close to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than I imagined !, 15 Feb 2012
I bought this after getting another less well specified Protrek ... I was worried it would be too big and heavy on my wrist but it isn't ! It is a sizeable watch but weighs hardly anything and fits around my wrist easily and comfortably. You don't really notice it is on.

Build quality is excellent and the face is clear and in real life looks far better than the pictures. The overall look of the watch is dark so it doesn't stand out too much. I thought the orange/red 'N' on the dial and the buttons would make it look a bit cheap but I was totally wrong.

The display is busy but very, very easy to read. No digits are too small or too big - just right.

I wanted the tide time for me to see so this watch seemed a logical purchase. The compass display being on a separate layer makes it clear and as far as I can tell, very accurate. The altimeter and temperature are not too good for me - the temperature is affected by the watch being on your wrist ... so unless it has been laying somewhere for say 20 minutes you will not get an accurate reading. For the altimeter I set a reference height for my home but as it works on air pressure it is not reliable and changes daily. It is easy to set though so if you go walking setting a height to begin with should mean it is accurate. The barometer graph on the main display is small but clear and useful.

Atomic timekeeping has been spot on and has sync'd every night without fail.

Buttons are easy to press and the auto light on is a nice little feature.

Overall I would highly recommend this watch but do try on first if you have small wrists or are worried about it's size. I have 21cm wrists so can take a larger watch without issue. The watch has everything you could need and more but in my opinion looks far smarter than other 'busy' Casio's like the G Shock range.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have this watch for 4 months now...., 20 Mar 2013
Before I even decided on this watch I had a list of required functions that included atomic clock synch, compass, automatic DST adjustment and a GPS. I dropped the GPS function when I saw what this watch did. I found the youtube reviews, I read the online manuals, I read the amazon reviews. After seeing all this material I knew that this was the watch I wanted.

Eventually - I bought it and it arrived quick smart. The first thing that surprises you is the size of the user manual. Its 3/4 inch thick. Seriously. It does have multiple languages in there but thats not to take away from the fact that the list of features on this watch is huge. The designers have meticulously thought out the functions and features and physical design of this watch to a T. They must have put thousands of hours of ideas and testing and designing into this unit. And they did a great job.

The next thing that strikes you about this watch is the face. Its large. It looks large but wears normall. I say this because the screen crams a lot of information onto the screen, but without over cramming. It wears normal because although the size seems big, the way the face sits into the strap and bezel casing merges so well as to reduce the overall "footprint" of this on your wrist.

You can read elsewhere about the functions on this watch. All the functions work well. And if you understand how the altimiter and barometer work - you will understand their limitations. This is the worst feature of the watch, which is to really say there are no serious flaws in this watch. You wont buy this watch because it has an altimeter but its useful to have. You wont buy this watch because it has a barometer but its useful to have.

Some bottom line observations. The bezel isnt stiff on my unit, it easily rotates through normal wear. The strap is resin and is tough, resiliant strong and doesnt chaffe, sweat or irritate my wrist. Its not a heavy watch to wear. Its an easy watch to read in day or night due to the face size and also a nice "wrist-flick" motion sensor that illuminates the face at night. I dont use this because I dont want it to do that during normal light conditions. It is super accurate and my unit has no issues synching off the atomic clock each day - theres a flag on screen to let you know it did it.

Criticisms: The capacity to adjust various featurs I actually found a bit tricky. With so many features - finding the right screen and clicking to the right button first time was not easy. Once I had my config right and all my personal settings the way I wanted, I found it even more comfortable to use. The moon-phase feature is one I really like! An animated full-moon, new-moon cycles through and is absolutly perfect side by side with the real thing. Nice job there guys.

If you are outdoorsy or like feature rich watches, this is the watch for you. Its robust. Its laden with functions without being overpowering. its good looking, Its a little pricey but you definitely get what you have paid for. Each unit is stamped with the model number and a unique ID for the unit.

Other Protreks / Pathfinders have other features that I would have liked on this, such as the sunrise sunset function, but this one doesnt have that. So - that was my only niggle. Its a fantasic watch. If I ever abused it enough to break it, I would buy another without any doubt. The online pictures of this watch dont do it justice. The experience of this watch is in the wearing and though its use. (Tip: Go to a jeweller/watch shop in your town and pick one up to see for yourself - they buy it online where its cheaper)

In the time since I decided to buy this my experience is that the write ups and marketing blurb around this watch was spot-on. It is a rugged precise timepiece that is equal in class [in terms of functionality] to watches with pricetags X5 or X6 times the cost. If you exclude the snobbery of the people that tout Breitlings and Omegas - functionally, this watch is superior. Side by side with those other brands, this one beats them without a doubt, IMHO. Its not bling. It delivers precision. Need I say more?

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough 'Approximator' at discount price, 16 Oct 2013
If you ignore the fact that the altimeter's only going to give you an approximation of your current height because the read-out's governed by atmospheric pressure (which goes up and down with the daily weather-patterns, regardless of your actual elevation), and that the temperature sensor will read way above actual temperature where your body-heat equates to more than the actual ambient temperature (unless you remove the watch and take a reading after it's cooled-down - maybe 20 minutes after taking it off), this is an excellent bit of kit.

It's chunky and robust but pretty light and comfortable on the wrist.
The tide function works pretty well, and the barometer is good enough to indicate whether the 'glass' is rising or falling, usually the best way to judge what sort of weather is on it's way...

I had the (non-solar) model before this one - which received a very hard life of sea-kayaking - which it passed with flying colours. Sadly, I broke it when I tried to save myself the 60 fee for battery replacement (after 5 years of fault-free service).
If yours ever needs a battery, my advice would be to send it to the experts!

Anyway, this is a tough watch for those spending any time in remote areas or requiring indications on weather/locational information. Sure, a few functions are flawed and essentially are 'for reference only' due to them only approximating the ACTUAL conditions, but for most people being within 10 to 20% of the actual is usually close enough.

I love mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars ., 18 Sep 2013
Bought it for my boyfriend for his birthday. He loves it from the first moment. It was a bit difficult for him to set it up properly (it can be hard if you don't read any instructions:-) ) but now 2 other of his colleagues have the same watch. Are men not the same as women?

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice watch, 3 Jun 2013
R. J. Bransden "engRik" (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This is definitely the most expensive Casio I've owned - it's also by far the best.
Rugged, Compass, Baro etc... The compass isn't 'that' accurate, but certainly enough to get an idea which way you're going (which is enough for me). Some have commented that the display isn't that 'clear' - it's certainly not as contrasty as those with a single led display level, but I've had no trouble reading it. Overall, really nice looking watch, very light, waterproof (enough).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch, with a few niggles (but not many!), 28 Aug 2013
I have lived with this watch for a while now, including some time spent under canvass in the great outdoors and I am, frankly, quite impressed.

You can download the specs of this watch, so these are personal thoughts after having used and lived with it for a while.

First, the good bits. The watch is solar powered, so you never need to worry about changing batteries (or using the lume too much). Worried about accuracy? Don't be - the thing automatically updates itself every morning (so far without fail). The 100 m water resistance is useful. I found the compass, when compared to my Silva, to be surprisingly accurate. It's never going to be my main compass but a very useful back up. The barometer, too, when compared with an external source, seems really quite accurate. After a few minutes curled up with the manual, the watch becomes fairly easy to operate and is good and chunky (if a little on the large size - plenty of "wrist presence").

Second, the bad. The altimeter. Not much surprise there, I suspect. I woke up one morning to find that I had sunk 20 meters into the ground. Now, I am quite a light sleeper, so if my tent had dropped 20 meters, I think I would have noticed. More likely - the altimeter is adversely affected by changes in the air pressure (or just isn't very good).

Third - the meh. The moon phase thingy is quite fun (and accurate), but I'm not so convinced about the tide predictor. How useful is it to know the tides in London itself? For my money, I would have preferred sunrise and sunset times, but you pays your money and makes your choice.

Overall opinion - good, sturdy and very well equipped. Shame about the altimeter, but the other bits more than make up for this shortcoming.

3.0 out of 5 stars General Evaluation, 20 Nov 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, 13 Jun 2013
I bought this watch for my partner and he loves it! Gives him hours of fun and out a smile on his face knowing that it has all the gadgets he needs

5.0 out of 5 stars Best watch I have ever owned, 12 April 2013
I am very very happy with this watch and will never need to worry about batteries or setting the time again !!

Robust,waterproof and all the features appear to be very accurate too !