4.0 out of 5 stars Plays with History but worth watching!
I have been a fan of this period of time for many years now and do read alot of factual books on the period. Some would think that because of that I would hate The Tudors. Infact the opposite is true. I love it!!! Now it does take alot of liberties with history! Some of which are massive e.g the first episode - Henry's "Uncle" is murdered. Henry's uncles were the...
Published on 7 April 2011 by Miss Claire Biggs-Tandy

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been great but unfortunately wasn’t.
My wife and I thoroughly enjoy a good historical drama so we borrowed this with great anticipation. Given the run-time of 31 ½ hours there was every chance that the production could do real justice to the material and add significant detail to what we all already know of Henry VIII’s life.

This series, however, is the very epitome of a missed opportunity,...
Published 9 months ago by Willy Eckerslike

‹ Previous | 1 2 343 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tudors, 11 Jan 2012
I could not manage to catch this on the TV but was amazed and couldn't stop watching the DVD when I purchased it. I purchased another copy for my parents as I had already loaned mine our to a friend. I would love to see more DVD's that teach you History like this does

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistently good drama over all series, 4 Feb 2012
I really enjoyed this boxset as I hadsn't seen any of the series on tv.

I found it engrossing - watching the machinations of the historical figures dancing around each other, it really brought my boring history lessons at school to life. Integral to all this is King Henry the Eighth, a compelling figure very well played by Jonathan Rhys Meyers. His casting was excellent, as was the rest of the cast.

The box set is very entertaining and well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible drama series, 21 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Tudors - Complete Season 1-4 [DVD] (DVD)
The Tudors, is the greatest historical drama series ever made. The acting from everybody is outstanding. There is not one poor episode, and when you've watched one episode it leaves you wanting to watch the next episode straight away. All the costumes are amazing, and Jonathon Rhys Meyers is incredible as king Henry VIII. No other drama series comes close.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Historical Drama, 31 Mar 2011
The keyword being 'drama'. If you want historical facts, etc., then this is not for you and I would suggest you buy a history book instead.

Otherwise, this is a fine drama production with excellent acting across the board.

5.0 out of 5 stars Henry likes a change now and then, 26 Aug 2011
I must confess to not being a history buff, I have a faded memory of classroom level history, dates like 1066 and the battle of hastings ring some sort of bell and that Henry VIII had six wives, but that is about it as far as the details go. So as far as how inaccurate this drama series is, it didn't really bother me especially as every epsiode was so intriciate and compelling visually and storywise
From the moment Trevor Morris' gorgeous music began I was hooked, the montage titles lead into such a sumptous drama it might have well been a film, with all actors fufilling thier respective roles, especially Jonathan Rhys Meyers playing the big fella himself. All though this version quite rightly has him athletic in his younger years, I think it would have been better if he had worn a fat suit in the later series.

Every episode was a joy to watch, where you learn more about the characters and the lives they lead there was plenty of action sex drama and intrigue

I enjoyed immmensly and can wholeheartly recommend for any one who enjoys period drama

5.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to cry when I finished the series!, 23 April 2012
This review is from: The Tudors - Complete Season 1-4 [DVD] (DVD)
It was so amazing! I'm sure it's not 100% historically accurate but it's certainly gripping and tense! Loved every minute and didn't want it to end. Fantastic acting, production, direction .... Definitely a must-have box set!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 29 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Tudors - Complete Season 1-4 [DVD] (DVD)
This is an amazing series,drama and thrilling bits galore.received with no hassle and in perfect condition.i got a bargain with this as it was the best price around.love all the actors/actresses.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't make my mind up, 17 Aug 2014
I got this because it was cheap and well reviewed. Watched it all the way through though sometimes shouting at the TV.

Here are some thoughts I had. Rhys Myers gives it his best shot, full of intensity. It's not his fault he is slight, dark and Irish instead of large, fair and English. I didn't mind the story playing with history up to a point ( though having Henry sleep with Anne of Cleves after setting her aside is ludicrous) and I give it credit for not abandoning the religious theme which frankly is quite hard to follow, as no doubt it was in reality.

The script veers between historical quotes and passages of plodding modern predictability. There were some speeches I filled in before the actor spoke, they were so cliched. I swear at one point Anne Boleyn said OK ( after showing her ladies how to dance). Did they put this in for a bet?

The costumes are very mixed. Some of them are plainly all wrong, nylon furs for instance, and probably not the right period either. The jewellery is laughable, obviously lightweight plastic.

I noticed that all the choirboys were girls and that Anne Boleyn rode astride, two glaring anachronisms but which may not really matter.

And couldn't they find a red haired child for the young Elizabeth in the whole of Ireland? It was perhaps her most notable feature after all

My two main criticisms- the accents are all over the place but mainly Irish. Was this really necessary when so many actors now can render faultless regional accents? Henry gets more and more Irish as the episodes go on. I could have accepted more English regional accents as I believe was often the case in those days, but did so many of the characters really have to be so very Irish? The Earl of Surrey was Scottish for no good reason, and I swear I detected some Australian in Cardinal Wolsey. And when people had to portray a foreigner, or worse,a foreigner speaking English, it seemed any accent at all would do.

Then there are the simply careless features. People go from being Mr Lastname to Sir Firstname and back again - probably a deadly insult in those days. Female titles are completely randomly applied. The daughter of Lord Somebody is not Lady Somebody (Lady Somebody is his wife), she is Lady Jane Somebody, to be addressed as Lady Jane. These points are exactly the same today so it is hardly rocket science. There is no consistency in pronunciations either. We get Shrowsbury/ Shroosbury for Shrewsbury and Bologna/ Bouloine for Boulogne.

It could have been a lot worse. But with a little effort it could have been better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillient, Henry is gorgeous, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Tudors - Complete Season 1-4 [DVD] (DVD)
I absolutley love this, and did not think I would as I thought it would be a modern take on things. Henry is simply brillient and quite ruthless at times, and this set manages to get most of the historical things correct. It is def a keeper. The actor who plays Henry has a knack of looking dark at times and at others so loving that I probably would have agreed to marry him myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Drama, 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Tudors - Complete Season 1-4 [DVD] (DVD)
A great series, beautiful costumes, an excellent cast and just perfect music. It's very well-acted with some reputable names as well as new talent and it offers a different take on the story surrounding Henry V111. This is King Henry as he would have wished he looked! Very brave of the creators to dip in and out of history to produce this masterpiece.

‹ Previous | 1 2 343 | Next ›

The Tudors - Complete Season 1-4 [DVD]
The Tudors - Complete Season 1-4 [DVD] by Jonathan Rhys Meyers (DVD - 2011)