Hook [Blu-ray] [1991] [Region Free]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:£8.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 11 October 2011
A timeless classic. God knows how many times I've seen this movie but just watched it on Bluray and wow, it's lost none of it's magic.
What I love about it is that it's a completely original take on the Peter Pan legend and that's what makes it unique. It was also one of my favourite childhood movies so I got a lot of love for it.
Everyone is cast perfectly, but Dustin Hoffman as Hook and Bob Hoskins as Mr Smee really stand out.
The musical score by John Williams is magical.
Awesome family movie which will get plenty more views in the future when I myself have kids.

Concerning the Bluray it self, great quality. Considering it's a 20 year old movie they've done a good job. Obviously it's not at the same standard as a Transformers Bluray but if your upgrading from DVD there is a huge improvement in picture and audio.

The only downside is the lack of special features, there is not a single one, not even a trailer.

But at the end of the day the movie is a classic and that's the important bit.
on 15 February 2005
I'm writing this review fourteen years after it was made because I need a new copy as it's been watched too many times!
This film is no doubt my favourite. I've been watching it since I was two, and it's the one I would miss most if it was taken away from me.It's one of those films that suits everyone, and the acting and music is quality. Truely magical, and great a story line. The sets and special effects are fantastic. The only thing I would criticize it for was the fact that they didn't have the Indians in the film. And Dustin Hoffman, as much as he's an absolutely perfect Hook, he needs to work on his English accent!!
In general though this film is a true classic that everyone should have the pleaure of watching. It doesn't take anything away from J.M Barrie, it just extends his great ideas onto a new and modern level.
on 8 October 2011
Just got the film after preordering at a fantastic low price, which made me wonder how the picture quality was going to be especially for a 20 year old film.... I was blown away by what I saw, it was like watching the film for the first time, clear and sharp almost 3d in some scenes. If only all transfers of older movies to blu-ray could be this good. If you are thinking of upgrading from the DVD do not hesitate it is worth it many times over.
on 6 October 2011
First off, I wish amazon wouldn't colate reviews for films. DVD and blu ray reviews should be kept seperate.
Now, with that out the way, to the blu ray.
I have to say at first I was worried that this would be a hash job with how cheap the blu ray was to begin with. But boy was I wrong. To say the film is 20 years old this year, the picture has new life breathed into it.
Hook is one of my fave films of all time so naturally I have seen it countless times. With this new blu ray release I am picking out details that I had never noticed before and its fantastic. The picture is clear and sharp, the colours more vibrant. This is how the film should look, to do neverland justice and it makes me very happy that a good job has been done. Im sure the tech heads will find something to pick apart at, but for the general viewing public this will be a treat. Superb!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 13 October 2004
Forget your Citezen Kane,your Godfather and your Shawshank Redemption,Hook is where it is at.This Seriously underrated film has all you could need.It has a great story line, a magnicfent cast,Amazing effects and Brilliant music from my main man,John Williams.
I usually find Robin Williams really annoying but in this film he is at his careers best,and Dame Maggie Smith and Bob Hoskins are as good as always.Dustin Hoffman needs no introduction.He is fantastic.This is one of the already flawless Steven spielberg's Greatest film and should be shown more respect for this.The only bad part in the film is when it becomes too americanized but apart from this it is oscar-worthy.If you havent seen it then you are missing out big time,and if you have already seen it,watch it again for old times sake.
on 26 October 2011
I remember this film as a 12 year old, watching it numerous times as I babysat my younger sisters, and now, as a parent, will be watching it numerous times as my kids LOVE all stuff Peter Pan.

A lovely film, full of innocence, guest appearances and above all, a great performance from Dustin Hoffmann.

The Blu Ray picture quality is there too, and I recommend this film as a real rainy day film with the kids.
VINE VOICEon 19 March 2006
Robin Williams, Bob Hoskins, Julia Roberts & Dustin Hoffman make up the best starting line up for a movie ever. The story is based around Peter Panning (Williams) Name sound familiar? well it is Peter Pan only 40 years old. Peter left Neverland and forgot who he was and eventually began to age and forgot about his childhood. Work becomes Peter's first priority over his marriage and his family which isn't a good thing. Determined to make Peter remember who he is Tinkerbell (Roberts) comes to collect Peter and remind him of who he truly is.
Once in neverland we are first introduced to the scary and imposing figure that is Captain James Hook (Hoffman) and his trusty sidekick Smee (Hoskins). As the story progresses of Peter being brough back to neverland we see the painful task of reminding Peter who he is so he can go into one final battle with Captain Hook. Apart from Hook, Peter has one adversary to overcome first and that's Rufio (Dante Basco) the new leader of the Lost Boys since Peter's absence.
Because of Peter's neglegance of his children his son Jack is easily persuaded to join Captain Hook along with his little sister and this is a true low blow for Peter.
I have already said too much but all's i'm going to say is you'll love this film as much as i did. Very heartwarming, funny and just a plain nice film that is for the entire family.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Steven Spielberg' brings another highly family orientated movie to the screen and re-mastered to the Blu-ray format, of course he also gave us movies like 'A.I' artificial intelligence. ( great movie also available on this format ) and perhaps the 'gem' of his family movie collection 'E.T' ( also remastered and presented on the 'Blu-ray format )
Well, this movie tells the tale of 'Peter Pan' (played by the late great 'Robin Williams) who has now grown-up and married 'Wendy's' granddaughter, they have two children.
The family make a seasonal visit to 'Wendy's' home. where years before it all began.
'Hook' still lives in 'Neverland' and has grown bored, longing for the adventure and rivalry he once had with his 'tormentor' --'Peter Pan'
'Hook' (Dustin Hoffman) decides to kidnap 'Peters' two children and leave a challenge for 'Peter' to rescue them.
'Tinker Bell' (Julia Roberts) arrives at the London house to whisk 'peter' back to 'Neverland'
'HOOK' mocks ' PETER' and says he's not worthy of his sword, trouble is 'Peter' has forgotten how to fly and has long since forgotten his years in 'Neverland'
'HOOK' gives 'PETER' just three days to remember who he is, or the children will be harmed.
This really is top-line family entertainment, the 'transfer' to Blu-ray is pretty good, wish all restorations were as good..............enjoy.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 June 2013
I loved this film when I was younger and nothing has changed about that, even though I'm now 22!

Robin Williams is, as always, brilliant. He's hilarious and I think he makes a great Peter Pan - definitely one of my favourite portrayals. He plays the grown-up Peter fantastically, as a man who has forgotten all about Neverland and his life before growing up. Once he returns to the magical world and finally remembers, his take on Peter was wonderful to watch. Who'd of thought Robin Williams in tights would have been so cool?

I loved the lost boys in this. They were so dependent on Peter and had clearly missed him so much and the ending when he left again just ripped my heart out. They were also so funny (BANGARANG) when they were 'training' Peter to become himself again (the dinner scene was just awesome). Also: Ru-fi-ooooooooooooooo.

Dustin Hoffman as Hook was just splendid. He's such a great actor and I've learned to expect nothing better than AWESOME from him. And he delivered. Hook is perfectly creepy but also kind of strangely likeable.

The puns in this movie provide a lot of laughs (perhaps more now, watching as an adult: see the dinner scene when Peter and Rufio get into an argument) and the film is just a joy to watch throughout.

Okay, so it's not a completely oscar-worthy masterpiece. But it's a film that will keep you entertained throughout and get you back in touch with your childish side, something we all need once in a while. In my opinion, it's a must-see for anyone who's a fan of Williams or, you know, fun.
on 11 January 2012
i have loved this film since seeing it at the cinema as a young boy but on Blu-Ray it has gotten even better. I cant believe how good this film looks considering how old it is, the picture is sharp & the colours really pop & the brilliant sound quality allowed me to hear details that i didnt even know where there, there are much newer films that dont have as good of a transfer as this. I already had this film on dvd but decided to buy it on Blu because of all the great reviews i saw about the picture & sound & i must say i was not dissapointed.