4.0 out of 5 stars +
Published on 20 Sept. 2011 by Ali

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed!
I had heard a few of his songs prior to purchase and was really looking forward to this album however I did find that although there were a few tracks which were very good, the majority of songs on this album were very similar and If I can say it, a little depressing. Overall, a bit disappointed, won't be looking out for any more of his releases :-(
Published on 11 Mar. 2013 by A Wilsden

4.0 out of 5 stars +, 20 Sept. 2011
This review is from: + (MP3 Download)
Having followed Ed Sheeran since his "Nandos Skank" days, I had mixed emotions about his finally gaining the recognition he deserves. Mainly I think I was worried about whether he'd be stripped of his individuality and turned into another processed pop sensation. Listening to this album, I realise I needn't have worried. Although a couple of the songs from his original EPs appear here as more mainstream, beat-driven versions (The City and - of course - You Need Me, I Don't Need You) the emotion behind them is still very much present.

My only complaint is that I find some of the tracks on here a little samey. The stand out ones in my opinion are Small Bump, You Need Me I Don't Need You, The A-Team (which I am pleased to note remains unaltered since its original release on 'Loose Change'), The City, Sunburn and the beautiful Little Bird, which can be found on the deluxe version of the album.

It is a rare thing to find an album where every single track is amazing and sadly this is not one of them, but what I can say for it is that all the songs on here compliment each other rather well. And oh my goodness, what a voice! It's worth buying just for the wonderful vocal work alone.

All in all I consider it to be one of the best first albums I have ever bought, and an excellent showcase of Ed's talents. Roll on the second album!

4.0 out of 5 stars A debut album to remember, 16 Jun. 2014
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: + (Audio CD)
Note: This review is for the standard, single CD release.

Whilst we are all looking forward and waiting with anticipation for Ed Sheeran's upcoming second album 'x (multiply) ', I thought that I'd take the time to review his debut, which is alarmingly now three years old.

'+' is an impressive showcase of a then twenty year old's quite exceptional talents. The man has a good soft voice, certainly knows his way around a guitar, and the album consists of catchy tunes with interesting lyrics. The songs range from the soulful and folksy, 'The A Team' is a gem that encouraged me to buy the album, to the more punchy like 'Drunk', and even shades of hip hop with the edgy 'You Need Me, I Don't Need You'.

Whilst there isn't a bad song to be found, some of them do sound quite similar, whilst a couple also start to wear on you after a while, hence the four stars. Nevertheless, it's a very playable album for the most part, and admirable for a man of such young years to be able too, not only sing as well as this, but to be able put together a debut entirely of his own songs, particularly when the material is good as it is.

The majority of the songs are written from Ed's own experiences as a struggling musician, and 'The A Team', according to an interview with 'Billboard' magazine, came from spending time assisting at a homeless shelter. He wrote the lyrics after hearing all of the stories of the homeless people there, which gives the tune a real heartfelt and sincere quality that some manufactured pop music will never have.

This is real music from a real musician. I strongly highly advise you to pick '+' up and discover Ed Sheeran, who I think has the ability to stick around for a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ed Sheeran +, 13 Oct. 2011
This review is from: + (Audio CD)
Wow this is the best album I have heard in a very long time, beautiful voice and fantastic lyrics. Stretches over several different genres making Ed difficult to pigeonhole. He has rap and hip hop influences that appeals to the younger audience, whilst I heard the hidden track, "The Parting Glass", played on Mike Harding's BBC Radio 2 Folk Show. I am sure without doubt we will be hearing a lot more from Ed Sheeran for as very long time to come, he has ground out a loyal live following with his intensive live gigging over the last few years. 4 bonus tracks are on the "deluxe" version of this album and should not be missing in particular the outstanding ballad "Sunburn" and the Reggae influenced "Gold Rush".
There is not a bad track on the album and I can't wait to follow Ed's career as I am sure it will go from strength to strength.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 12 Oct. 2011
This review is from: + (Audio CD)
This is an amazing album Ed Sheeran is amazing, love it i listen to it all the time. Would definitely recommend people to buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good..., 16 Oct. 2011
Boot-Boy (Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: + (Audio CD)
I bought this CD for my daughter - her pocket-money had run out and she made a good fist for me up-fronting the cost; something about keeping her bedroom clean and tidy... Surprisingly, I'm glad I did, even if she did renege on the deal. After a week's worth of school runs, with Mr Sheeran belting out from the sound system, I have to say I rather like his style. The voice is strong, individual and convincing, the lyrics smooth, solid and interesting, and that compulsive strumming guitar gutsy and melodious. The breakthrough came when I realised I was still playing Mr Sheeran after I'd dropped off my daughter at the school gates, even singing along on a couple of the tracks. At my age I can't say better than that...

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have album, 25 Jan. 2012
This review is from: + (Audio CD)
Ed Sheeran is hard to pin down, he drifts through genres with ease. I can only imagine how eclectic his record collection and influences are. Having bought tracks before (Wayfaring Stranger, A Team, You Need Me, etc) while impatiently waiting for the album my expectations were high. He has not disappointed me at all - a breathtaking album. If you've heard any of his previous releases, seen him on tv or heard him on the Radio (especially radio 6) then you'll be getting this album already -- if you haven't then google him, listen to the words, watch the videos, hear the interviews and then buy possibly the best album so far this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, 19 Sept. 2011
This review is from: + (Bonus Tracks) (MP3 Download)
this is by far one of the best albums of the year! kiss me, autum leaves, the a team and drunk at probably the best songs although the whole album is great. YOU HAVE TO GET THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 3 Jan. 2012
This review is from: + (Audio CD)
Wow! Since hearing his first single "The A Team," I have been enthralled by his beautiful and his amazing songs. "Lego House" is another beautiful example, and this album allows you to relax in whatever the situation. Even though the songs have a similar backing, they are all unique. It is impossible to pick a SINGLE favourite, but i especially like "U.N.I.", "Wake Me Up", "Small Bump" and "This". I would 100% recommend this album to anyone in need of comfort, relaxation, or just looking for some awesome tunes! 1,000,001/1,000,000!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album, 24 July 2012
Ms. J. Adshead (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: + (Audio CD)
I had never heard of Ed Sheeran until The A Team was released. My friends purchased the album and lent it to me I heard it once and was hooked. His voice is so smooth and he seems older than his years, the words are often sad and the melodies can't be erased from your mind. There are so many good songs on the album my favourites being Legohouse, A Team and Small bump (which is really sad if you listen to the words). I saw him sing live and he is amazing if a little shy; but I think that is what gives him his charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem, 1 July 2012
This review is from: + (Audio CD)
I have only just discovered Ed and where have I been. Surprised me that he sings everything from rap to ballards - and well at that. I cannot stop playing this album and love "small bump" which was his first song I ever heard on the radio. Then the last track "Give me love" what emotion, soulfulness in his voice makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I think he sounds like Linday Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac. An album not to be missed and everyones collection should have it.

+ by Ed Sheeran