5.0 out of 5 stars A good selection from the 1970s
This is a really good selection of the tracks that so many of us enjoyed back in the 1970s.

I must admin that, even as a prog rock fan myself, I thought that many of the tracks on this we're really that prog...

Published 5 months ago by Dave M

1.0 out of 5 stars shameful
Published on 6 Jan 2012 by Mr. H

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars shameful, 6 Jan 2012
Mr. H "Mr H" (Embra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
You're having a laugh, right? Nope, I've checked the release date, and it didn't come out on 1st April. So that means there were a lot of disappointed Dads on Christmas Day, as this would have been grabbed by many a thoughtless teenager of HMVs shelves on Christmas Eve. Because, never in the history of poorly conceived compilation albums, has there been one as poorly conceived as this one. Although, to be fair, I haven't dared to look at the companion Folk and Blues albums in the series.

Let's look at the opening track on this Prog Rock CD. 'Wishing Well' by Free. Eh? WTF? It's OK, though, Later on you get Mott The Hoople, REO Speedwagon and Journey, prog legends all. Now, I'm not saying the brand manager is a lazy bandit, but here's the blurb; "this album takes a look at some of the best progressive rock musicians who appeared on the show. Featuring the likes of Yes, Jethro Tull, E.L.P. and Focus, the album also includes artists who for whatever reason didn't or couldn't appear on the show, but should have." That's a tight tie-in, then. And should I even mention the cover which heralds "Barclay James Harvest, Mike Oldfield, Focus and Camel". None of which are on the record. Should we mention the editing. You know, where you hear the opening bars of 'Hold Your Head Up' by Argent, immediately after 'God Gave Rock & Roll To You'. Abysmal.

This is the kind of CD you used to get in service stations at 2am in the morning for 99p, which, alongside the usual suspects, often had some obscure German hit from the likes of Lucifer's Friend or Tucky Buzzard to brighten up a night-time journey. I don't know for sure, but there is probably somewhere in the region of [quick mental count] a million actual prog tracks available to Rhino, and this is what you end up with. As a major label release, tied in to what used to be a byword for quality, namely the BBC and the Old Grey Whistle Test, this is nothing short of shameful.

1.0 out of 5 stars A WARNING, 25 Oct 2011
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Read the track listings.
4 out of the 8 acts listed on the cover DO NOT repeat DO NOT feature on the CD.

There is no trace of Barclay James Harvest, Mike Oldfield, Focus nor Camel on the CD.

Now is this me or is this unforgivable??

I mean heck it must be easy to substitute artist like Yes, Wisbone Ash etc rather than the 4 cuckoos!!
One name forgiveable two pushing it BUT 4 means they are having a big laugh at us??

Please say this review has been helpful even if it is only to register your amazement at this insulting GAFF.

May I point you in the direction of these much better representative Prog Rock CD collections many which have the actual groups that this poor example does not?
Prog Rocks!
Space Hymns: An Introduction To Prog Rock
and this is much better value with 3 CDs worth of tracks.
Greatest Ever Prog Rock - The Definitive Collection

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather misleading, 30 Sep 2011
R. Hughes "Grumpy Old Git" (Deepest Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
It is important to make clear what this compilation isn't and what it is.

Firstly, it definitely isn't a compilation of OGWT recordings. There may be a BBC logo on the front, with The Old Grey Whistle Test in prominent lettering. Inside the slim booklet there is a photo of Whistling Bob and his signature. but that is where the link ends. This is a Rhino records compilation with tracks licensed from a number of different record companies. All the tracks have been taken from albums or singles, none of them from OGWT performances.

On the sleeve notes, Whistling Bob makes the point "This collection of album tracks and singles is mostly, but not exclusively, rooted in that ground-breaking time". He is not kidding. It seems extremely unlikely that Porcupine Tree would ever have made it into the OGWT studios and their track, Trains, was recorded thirteen years after Whistling Bob walked into the sunset.

The tracks chosen for this album are also rather middle of the road and most are not even that proggy. There are plenty of prog compilations out there and to me, this is just about the most uninspiring of the lot. Whoever chose these tracks rather lacks imagination, to say the least. They also seem to have a rather generous interpretation of what should be called prog.

For all that, as a CD to listen to in the car it is not too bad so I am going to be extremely generous and give it three stars. I just won't be tempted to buy any other OGWT CDs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title in the extreme., 22 Jun 2013
I bought this in the HMV under the impression the tracks were from performances on the programme, hence I didn't mind that some of the tracks strayed from what is generally regarded as Prog. There is nothing at all on the packaging to indicate otherwise, so it was with utter annoyance I listened to it and found it was just another gathering of tracks culled from any other compilation which you can pick up, usually in every supermarket on earth. The choice is bizarre at times (REO Speedwagon's Keep On Loving You, to name but one, is not prog by any stretch of the imagination) and only when you get to the inner sleeve does anyone point out that these were just hits while TOGWT was on tv. What a dishonest and utterly misleading title, and obscene connection to a programme with an enormous archive of live performances! Shame on the company behind this! I wish I'd stumbled across this on Amazon first, because here I could have read the damning reviews of this cynical product. it is nothing more than a devious marketing exercise.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading pap, 26 April 2012
Alan C. Harris "70s man" (Europe) - See all my reviews
I thought, no doubt like many others, that these Old Grey Whistle Test albums would contain nothing but recordings made on that show, that's what interested me as I like live recordings, it gives you a different feel for the songs. The live without audience performances are interesting, as seen on the previous Old Grey Whistle Test DVDs.

But that's not what is here. It is yet another compilation of tracks drawn from albums. It would have been a great collection of OGWT show recordings. But it's just album tracks. Huge disappointment.

But, on top of that, it claims to have a content of progressive rock! About a quarter of the tracks qualify. Journey? Foreigner? Free? Sorry, not progressive. Not back then, not now. Had they been OGWT show recordings they would still have been interesting though.

I feel ripped off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed the test, 20 Sep 2011
another drive time rock comp when we could have had LIVE in the studio as it happened on the show (radical idea eh?}.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pointless, 20 Sep 2011
Artists who should have been on the show?, sort of makes it pointless, could have had any tracks that have ever been made but settled for a low standard drive time CD with just a credible title

5.0 out of 5 stars A good selection from the 1970s, 26 July 2014
Dave M (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Can I suggest another album, in a similar vein, that I have also enjoyed. (The Best Prog Rock Album In The World ... Ever!) This triple album is deinitely worth a punt and, if you're looking to boost your basket to magical amount to get free delivery, might I suggest buying both.

Back to this album; it is genial selection of tracks and, yes, I did enjoy the vast majority of them and it has become a favourite in the car, but only when there are no other passengers to complain about the volume.

Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rhino, hang your heads in shame., 21 Aug 2014
Brothbeard (Maidenhead, UK) - See all my reviews
Appalling - It's all been said before but I just wanted to register my displeasure. I expected live performances from the show and didn't bother to read the reviews until I purchased. Caveat Emptor!

5.0 out of 5 stars Progr rock rocks!, 3 Dec 2014
This is a great CD and better than I expected! I got into prog rock with ELP in the late 60s early 70s and have never looked back. Buy this and you'll want to hear more!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›