5.0 out of 5 stars Really comprehensive GPS unit!
Published 21 months ago by Dicko

3.0 out of 5 stars Bother
The first one I got caused the garmin software to crash every time it was connected to my computer. This was was replaced by Amazon. The replacement one worked ok but the screen misted up every time it was taken out and the elevation reading was wildly inaccurate, about 300ft either side of what it should have been. Amazon replaced this one. The new one is ok but the...
Published on 13 Sep 2010 by Lucien Van Impe

5.0 out of 5 stars Really comprehensive GPS unit!, 3 Nov 2012
Dicko (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Edge 500 GPS Bike Cycling Computer with Heart Rate Monitor and Cadence Sensor - Red (Electronics)
I've been using the Garmin Edge 200 for over a year now and it's really good. I wanted to add a heart rate monitor though and the 200 doesn't support them so I went for the Edge 500. It's exactly the same size (and fits all the same brackets etc) as the 200 and provides so much more useful data. This data can be spread over 5 screens and you can have between 3 and 6 pieces of data on each of the screens (which can be a bit over kill!!).

It's all really simple to set up and the included heart rate monitor is really comfortable. There's so much more data to look at when you get back to once you've uploaded it to Garmin Connect.

All in all, this GPS unit is really good. There's every bit of data a cyclist could want really and more, all in a really nice small unit which also happens to look good (and the red and black match my bike perfectly!!)

Only gripe I had was that the buttons on the sides to change screens etc are a bit small and fiddly, especially in these winter months when you're always wearing gloves. Shouldn't be as much of an issue in summer, but with full finger gloves on it does get a bit annoying.

Other than that, I'm impressed and I love my Edge 500!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 10 Feb 2012
A. Sarper "A.S." (GE.CH) - See all my reviews
Ive had the EDGE 500 for almost a year now and I can't think of anything thats given me better value for money. At first I just used it for motivation on rides, just to see how much I was improving. I then started to program in alarms for cadence, speed and HR for specific goals. I then started using it in the gym and dissecting the workouts on Garmin connect and trainingpeaks. You can pull out all kinds of data to improve workouts. My last experience with the EDGE 500 came about a week ago when I forgot to take it out of my sweatshirt after a run and my wife washed the whole unit. Im not talking about the chest strap....the actual unit. That bad boy spent 90 minutes at 45 Celcius spining at 1600 RPM and came out laughing. So I am baffled when I read the reviews about people having issues with raindrops. This is a great device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Use, 3 Aug 2012
I was able to use it right out of the box. The quick start guide makes it easy to link the HRM and cadence sensor to the device. The display is capable of displaying more information than you need while riding. I had to cut the display down to 4 readings, but all the information is available when you download it to the computer. It is very accurate and I have only lost tracking once or twice while under heavy tree cover and it came right back. Worthy every penny paid!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect cycle computer, 31 Jan 2011
S. Robinson (london) - See all my reviews
This is an ideal product for people who want feedback on their ride but don't need on-bike satnav like the Edge 800. I'm a strong believer in maps, and am very happy to rely on them to determine where I'm going. However until I got this device I lacked ride feedback - in particular accurate distance and speed measurements, heart rate and elevation. This has everything that I need and the free Garmin Connect software is sufficient to allow me to analyse my ride data afterwards. A very worthwhile purchase for anyone who wants to improve their riding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Edge 500, 15 Nov 2010
J. R. Taylor (Rochester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Cycle computers are essentially one of two types; the simple "how far, how fast, how long?" type, or the more complex, serious training aid. The Edge 500 is one of the latter and is consequently more expensive. It uses GPS to record actual position throughout your ride, as well as the other data displayed by the simpler devices, and stores all of the information in its internal memory. The stored data can be uploaded to a computer for analysis, and the route cycled can be shown as a map display (with Google maps an alternative). The rider may designate a stored route as a 'course'. The rider may then select a course. and race against a 'phantom competitor' over the course to improve his previous efforts. The computer detects when the rider is 'on course' and displays 'distance behind (ahead) and time behind (ahead). The information displayed can be selected by the rider. The bundle being reviewed also comes with a heart rate detector and a cadence (pedal rate) detector, so you can really push yourself to the limit! If want to enjoy your cycling and also want to use it to improve your fitness then this is a very useful gadget to have. I can recommnd it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 705 v 500 Dilema Resolved!, 3 Mar 2011
I ordered the Edge 500 on the strength of it's positive reviews and slimline profile - comparable to that of a 'normal' cycle computer.
I'm not a fitness guru, but more an enthusiastic cummuter / recreational cyclist. For me this device does everything I would ever need from a cycle computer + some great fitness monitoring.

Once you start the timer all data is recorded in the way of a .FIT file stored in the units 50mb memory.
It would seem that the .FIT is something quite exclusive to the Edge 500 and does cause some compatibility with certain websites that only read more traditional GPX, TCX files.

That said upon registering the Edge on Garmin's website you can get full access to every shred of info the .FIT file has to offer and is represented very nicely through charts and raw data. Very pretty to look at unlike some sites and above all free as a Garmin customer.

Also from the Garmin site you can export the data back to the unit for use as a course / route.

As I was thinking about buying the 705 rather than this it's worth mentioning that although you can't use the 500 for sat nav; You can plan a route on bikehike.co.uk and then export it as a TCX, which you can then load into the Edge 500 and use it as a reference (As not to deviate off course). Turn by Turn instructions can also be implemented in the way of course points but this is quite a lengthy process.

Although the 705 would have fulfilled the sat nav requirement I had; I know it's size would have been a major drawback, Besides I never actually get 'lost' on my bike therefore using the routes with occasional course points works fine for me!

Overall I've only had it for a couple of days and I love it already!
No idea how the battery life compares to the claimed 18hours but time will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing kit, 24 Feb 2013
what can you say about the garmin,easy to use,addictive on strava,cadence sensor and hrm is great but not a must have,love it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars solid performance, 17 Oct 2011
I have owned the Garmin 500 with HRM and speed/cadence sensor for 6 weeks and ridden a lot of miles through the UK, France, Italy and Switzerland. I bought this over the Polar because I run a Mac at home and I believe the Polar monitors don't work with Macs?? I don't think I have ever managed to get all the functions for this computer working at the same time. The biggest problem I have had is with the speed/cadence sensor. I have set it up as instructed on multiple occasions. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, there seems no rhyme or reason behind it. I have fiddled with the positions of the magnets and sensors, got it working perfectly and then when I go on a ride it fails to detect. This is quite irritating because the computer continuously stops and restarts until it is reset not to recognise the sensor again. When running solely on the GPS function the basics work well but sometimes the incline (and therefore ascent/descent) function goes crazy or is just simply obviously slightly wrong. It is definitely important not to turn the computer on until the bike is outside and stationary! On the plus side I agree with most of the other comments, it provides more information than you could ever want to know. The Garmin connect online function works well and it is sturdy, light and seems well built. It worked perfectly well in Europe. It has no route finding capacity, but if you know where you are going you should be OK. Alternatively take your smart phone and hope for a signal! With all these irritating niggles I am still contemplating sending it back if I can't get it to reliably work with all of its functions at the same time! Just one more go!!

UPDATED: Have now owned for 6 months and worked it out. It is essential to turn on the Garmin only once outside and wait for it to pick up the satellite signal before moving off. With that sorted works perfectly with HRM and speed/cadence sensor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the thing, 30 Aug 2013
Kevin Wrapson (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
This small piece of equipment does such a lot. I like the idea of uploading all the information, then being able to follow my progress. Works very well in conjunction with the heart rate monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything I wanted and more., 29 July 2013
Much smaller than I expected but easy to set up the display to see the data I want. Easy to upload directly to Garmin Connect or Strava. Battery never seams to get low even on very long rides. Handy to have 2 holders included for use on two bikes but could do with 3. So far (over 1000 miles) I can't fault it.