5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic product for peace of mind
Published 10 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product - avoid!
The audio monitor, video monitor and sensor pad are all good products but they have some faults that Tommee Tippee are aware of but don't seem to want to fix or even admit.

Published 5 months ago by Rob Davis

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product - avoid!, 22 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Video Sensor Monitor (Baby Product)

The video display goes from full colour to purple permanently after you use the system at night (infra red mode). Tommee Tippee says "you will need to reset both units" every morning. The reset sequence is fairly complicated, involving detailed key press sequences on both devices, and not something a new parent has time to learn.

If you switch off the sensor pad (which you need to do if you remove the baby from the cot), the parent unit locks up and you can no longer use its controls until you switch the sensor back on again, switch off the parent unit and then switch the sensor back off. You cannot mute, switch off or change volume on the parent unit until you have done this. You are stuck with a noisy parent unit until either you complete this procedure or it runs out of batteries.

Security seems OK - the parent unit is paired with the baby unit, so that someone with the same product cannot access your device. I don't know if they use any further encryption or security.

Despite the above invonveniences, the product is good and we are using it. It is reassuring having the sensor and it seems to work solidly. The audio monitor works as you'd expect; the sound is clear and the triggering works. The video monitor we'll just put up with it in purple rather than learning the reset procedure.

If you do have to deal with Tommee Tippee support, as I did at length in an attempt to unsuccesfully resolve the above issues, be aware that though they will reply, they send standard responses that don’t help much.

The Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Video Sensor Monitor represents not bad value at the £90 price we paid on Amazon, but at the £200 price it is sold elsewhere I'd look carefully at other options.

UPDATE: After a few months, the screen and controls on the parent unit failed completely. It is now no longer possible to control the unit in any way, for example to adjust volume or mute. This means if you put the parent unit anywhere near the base unit, you get unstoppable loud feedback that wakes the baby. There is no working video monitoring at all. Worst of all, Amazon say the unit is not eligible for return, so even though it is against our statutory rights under UK law we may be stuck with this item. Shocking experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic product for peace of mind, 29 Sept. 2014
Ok having read other views i was in two minds, but having used this now for 6 months i can honestly say it is worth every penny. Firstly it is a baby monitor with adjustable sound sensitivity so it can be very sensitive or turned down so only a crying baby will set it off. Second it has the video feature so when we are downstairs we can watch in to see if our little one is ok or going to settle himself. It is night vision as well as day. Thirdly it has the movement pad that detects babys breathing. Now if it is all set up as per the instructions you will have no issues just a very secure peace of mind. This feature is also sensitivity adjustable. You can have just the monitor without the pad if you wish or baby unit without the monitor for just the movement alarm or all three which is recommended. Some people describe having to turn off the baby side before getting baby out as a nuisance as this cant be done from the parent monitor and as well if the alarm goes off you have to reset the baby side monitor but this is a safety measure so you cant accidently turn off the alarm at 3am when you are tired and not sure what you are doing. I would rather the alarm go off because i forgot to turn it off than it not go off and something happen to my son because i forgot to turn it on!. You can use it for the alarm feature as well when they are in the same room as you just by turning the parent unit to mute, everything else still works. The flashing green is reassurance baby is safe and this is the single most important device i have bought to safeguard my childs safety. It will even notify you if there is a power cut. This unit will let you use it how you want but will not let you do anything stupid. Do not be put off by negative reviews. People rarely take time to give positive reviews but will often give negative ones. In my opinion nothing can better this for the peace of mind you get.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow, just wow - at least it was until it failed - review updated., 23 Feb. 2012
B. Smyth (Crawley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has got to be the most feature rich and best baby monitor I think I have used.

We got this for our new born baby and have not been disappointed at all. The unit covers all the basics as far as features go. You have digital audio which is clear as a bell, two way talk back which works brilliantly, different sensitivity levels for activating the microphone on the baby unit which is useful if you don't want to hear everything and a night light controllable from the parent unit. All these features are excellent and work well. But where this monitor really excels is in the video and motion sensitive mat.

I'll start with the video. Full colour and excellent quality through the parent unit. You can easily make out most features of your baby as the quality is terrific. The night vision feature is the most impressive though. It automatically comes on when it detects low light. With the lights off in our baby's room you can still her as clear as day through the parent unit. In fact, if someone looking didn't know they would no doubt ask why we keep the light on for her!

The mat is another very useful feature. There are mixed reviews about this but I think it is a great idea. There are sensitivity settings for it too just in case you are having problems with the alarm sounding for no reason. You place this under the mattress and it basically detects when breathing or movement stops. I would much rather have a false alarm to this than nothing at all. The only downside I have found, and I can't find a setting to change it, is that the alarm for this goes off on both parent unit and baby unit. I really only want this on the parent unit. The baby unit should be silent so as not to wake her up. If anyone knows if this can be changed please add a comment.

All in all this is one first class monitor. Pricey yes, but it depends what you want and how much money you have to spend. Just know though, that if you do go for this, it is money very well spent indeed.

UPDATE 28/01/2014:

Unfortunately, 23 months after receiving this monitor the night vision sensor has given up on the unit. Having a quick look round different parenting forums has shown I'm not the only one. The monitor display flashes between night vision and black and eventually stays black, rendering the video useless at night. The audio still works fine though.

Tommee Tippee initially seemed very helpful and sent me out a replacement battery for the parent unit. This made no difference. I contacted Tommee Tippee again who said they could do no more because it was 23 months old. They advised I take it to an electrical shop for repair at my expense. For a unit at this price I have to say I am less than impressed, and certainly less than impressed with their support. I would urge anyone to look at a different manufacturer's video monitor. Whilst it was working correctly it was fantastic, but failing after 23 months is not acceptable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, but has its problems., 11 May 2015
This is a nice set and adds extra security. It has a lot of decent features as already explained in the product information and they are all very good however I have identified issues that annoy me.
PROS:
Nice colour screen
Night-vision is great
Range is god and so is battery life
Features on the product are ideal and you don't need more than what's on offer

CONS:
When you turn off one of the units an alarm sounds on the other unit which is really annoying.
If you have the mat sensor on and pick your baby up it goes off and scares the crap out of you and baby in the early hours of the morning! I have yet to figure out a solution for this as you have to use all the devices to turn the mat off which just isn't convenient.
The baby web cam unit is just too big and would be good if it had its own little feet so you can angle it to see baby rather than using a tripod stand etc.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but some annoying features, 30 Jun. 2012
I originally bought the movement sensor only monitor for when my baby was born and loved it. We had it in her Moses basket right next to me and I loved the reassuring green light flickering to tell me all was well.

When it came time for her to move into her own room, I decided to upgrade to a video monitor so I could keep an eye on her without constantly going into her room.

From day one there were some irritating features that the movement only monitor didn't have such as having to turn the parent unit off before taking her out of the cot (the movement one let's you just flick the switch on the baby unit but the video one you have to turn off parent unit and then flick switch on baby unit). Once the alarm has gone off on the parent unit, you can't turn it off. You have to turn the pad back on and prod at the matress to sense movement until you can turn the parent back on - tricky at 4am with hungry, wriggly baby amd a parent unit that's in th other room! This in itself was just a bit annoying as was the fact that the parent unit regularly (3-6 times per week) loses the link with the baby unit despite always being plugged in and approx 8 metres from my baby's room. Worryingly, I have learnt to ignore this alarm.

However, 3 nights ago after having the monitor for only 2 months, the movement alarm started going off every hour for no reason. Not only is this scary, it soon becomes annoying as my baby was fine except no longer asleep. Eventually we swapped back to the movement only monitor and ha no further false alarms. I have contacted Tommee Tippee customer services and am awaiting a response but I'm not too hopeful given reviews above and the fact that when I contacted them about how to turn off the pad to remove baby, I jut got referred to a page number in the instruction manual!

Fingers crossed they come good!

3.0 out of 5 stars Improvements could be made, 18 Jun. 2015
This is a great idea to give parents complete peace of mind. However I feel like I constantly listen out for the little bleep to say baby is moving. Actually causing more worry than originally there. You do have the option to turn the sensor monitor bit off and just use as a video/ audio monitor, but this begs the question if it's worth spending the extra money for the sensor mat, if you're not going to use it? Have also had many false alarms when a piercing noise sounds and a message says check the baby, sending me into panic and running up the stairs to find baby perfectly happy, although I have set it up as advised.

Potential to be a great product and is a great idea, but can also make you even more paranoid and a few things could be improved. (The noise when baby doesn't move sounds out of both parts, meaning this vile noise has the potential of waking your sleeping baby)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect - can't fault it., 21 Aug. 2014
Absolutely love this product. The picture on the screen is excellent both during the day when in colour and at night when in black and white. The mat works a treat and gives great peace of mind. I would recommend this to anyone expecting a baby. I really can't fault it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many false alarms, 16 July 2015
The video monitor is a good product with a decent quality camera, sound and controls.
However a MAJOR fault is false alarms. After two months of using this video monitor we have had false alarms pretty much every night.
My wife has made several phone calls to tommee tippee and followed advice on troubleshooting to reduce the false alarms such as changing the sensitivity levels, placing a wooden board above the slats on the cot etc but We are still getting 3/4 false alarms every night. The advice from tommee tippee is the monitors are all the same and even if we replaced it the same would happen. It's a shame I will be changing the product to a more reliable one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product..., 11 Jun. 2014
What is better than seeing your little one as well as hearing them...! Has day & night vision battery is good. Not used the sensor pad as we can see all. In short we love it....

4.0 out of 5 stars Good monitor with frustrating drawbacks, 4 Jun. 2015
Good product, does the job. Only issue I have is with the motion sensor: it works great but say you want to use the camera on something other than the cot, you get an error flashing on screen constantly saying turn on sensor pad, you cannot do ANYTHING until you turn on the sensor pad (that can only be done from the base unit) or you physically unplug the sensor pad from the base unit. You can't even turn off the monitor until you turn the sensor pad on, you have to take the batteries out. Sloppy design of what is an otherwise decent monitor

Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Video Sensor Monitor