4.0 out of 5 stars Warning: read this and you'll get itchy feet
Published on 11 Sep 2011 by Gillian

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so
One man's travels around New Zealand, describing rugby matches he's been to and friends he stayed with. I don't disparage the writer - I couldn't have published something like this - I just wished for more travel information and insights about the people.
Published 14 months ago by MaxC

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning: read this and you'll get itchy feet, 11 Sep 2011
This review is from: Ka Mate: Travels in New Zealand (Kindle Edition)
Dan Coxon takes you on a great little tour round New Zealand, visiting tourist attractions, towns and cities, and watching as much rugby as he can fit in on his way round the two islands. It's a charming and funny travelogue, giving an honest description of the beauties of New Zealand and some of the sillier aspects of the tourist industry, too. I challenge you to read it and not dream of hiring your own campervan and setting off....

5.0 out of 5 stars retracing my journey, 22 Feb 2013
carol "Retired, love reading in the garden on... (Barnstaple, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ka Mate: Travels in New Zealand (Kindle Edition)
Loved reading about the places I have been to, but seeing it through someone else's eyes. If you havn't been to New Zealand,
read it and enjoy, you will be itching to get on a plane.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugby, wine, travel; what more could you ask for?, 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: Ka Mate: Travels in New Zealand (Kindle Edition)
This book is a great find. From the opening chapter describing the arrival at immigration in New Zealand to the end of the road when it was time to leave for home, I felt as if I was getting a real insight to a part of the world which I have not managed to make it to (yet!).
The author has an engaging writing style, and makes it so easy to imagine the countryside. At some points, I felt as if I was along for the ride in the campervan! You get the impression that the author was trying to see more of the country than the typical tourist traps, with mixed success (but you get a real sense of achievement when he gets to see something different and off the beaten track)!
I loved the descriptions of the crowds at the rugby games, especially the big game where the author is sitting in the stands with the "Doctors." It's definitely worth a read, whether you have been to New Zealand or not (like me).
I would recommend it, and would read something by this author again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Ka Mate: Travels in New Zealand (Kindle Edition)
I would recommend this book, especially as I read it while I was travelling in New Zealand and it was nice to read about the people I met and places I visited

5.0 out of 5 stars A fab read!, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Ka Mate: Travels in New Zealand (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. A straighforward account of a journey round the country with interesting history bits too! A good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, informative witty book, 23 Feb 2013
This review is from: Ka Mate: Travels in New Zealand (Kindle Edition)
We have just spent a month in New Zealand and visited most of the places mentioned. So the book was perfect reading, wish I had read it before I went as Dan found some interesting places we didn't. Nicely written, kept moving and informatively witty.

4.0 out of 5 stars The home of the All Bl\cks, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Ka Mate: Travels in New Zealand (Kindle Edition)
An absorbing introductory account (to me )of travels in New Zealand . I had never had a desire to visit New Zealand but if I had my time all over again I would certainly make the effort to arrange a visit

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Ka Mate: Travels in New Zealand (Kindle Edition)
Have been to New Zealand and it was described exactly as if I was there. Would advise reading before going to visit.

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so, 7 May 2013
MaxC (London, England) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Ka Mate, 2 Aug 2012
This review is from: Ka Mate: Travels in New Zealand (Kindle Edition)
I found this book somewhat odd. It purports to be a travel log round New Zealand but tends to be disapprovimg of the tourist industry while travelling to and doing the touristy places and things. The stance on some social seemed out of place.