on 2 February 2010
You're probably here because you know her version of Hound Dog and want to know if there's anything else worth having by 'Big Mama' Thornton. Well you're in luck. If you like Hound Dog then this fine collection of rockin' Rhythm n Blues is going to be right up your street: 22 tracks and not a duffer on there. Obviously it all has a similar-ish sort of feel to it, and in the way of artists of the day, Hound Dog gets revisited at least in theme and attitude a few times here, but at least with enough variation not to get tiresome. Highlights for me include I Just Can't Help Myself, The Fish, Yes Baby (with Johnny Ace), Walking Blues (containing more than a hint of Otis Rush's My Love Will Never Die), and of course the aforementioned Hound Dog.

I can't say if this is the definitive collection of Big Mama's work as it's the only one I own. Probably there's more comprehensive ones available, but if you're looking for a single cd album at budget price I doubt you'll do much better. Go on, give it a try. What have you got to lose?
on 26 September 2013
I agree with one previous reviewer that this collection has quite a bit of repetition regarding 'Hound Dog' but I don't agree that this repetition doesn't detract from the overall quality. In my opinion it does. Hound Dog is a great record and, with apology to Elvis, Big Mama recorded the best version, but this doesn't excuse 6 other tracks being similar and, in two cases, copies. Big Mama has a much more varied back-catalogue than this CD suggests and there are many tracks that could have been used instead to give the list more depth. Big Mama is a great performer however and her music is always worth listening to.
on 8 September 2013
A good selection of blues from a sassy lady. Big Mama really puts her heart and soul into her singing and you won't be disappointed with this CD. It can get a little 'samey' with some of the tracks but nevertheless worth having
on 16 March 2014
I am new to Big Mama, although have known for years that Elvis made a ton of money off her original version, much like Georgia Gibbs had more airplay than Laven Baker's ' Tweedlee Dee '. I am very glad I gave her a chance, because I love her, and she is a fine addition to my Lavern Baker, Ruth Brown, Dinah Washington, Varetta Dillard, etc collection.

I love her songs and her words make me smile, and I love how rather than being ashamed of being 300 pounds at the time, she flaunts her size and defies you to mess with her !

I hear that a new biography is due out next month, so I shall be looking out for it.
Her end was quite a sad one and she was a shadow of her former self, and a collection had to be made in order to even bury her decently.

RIP, BM. xx
on 12 July 2014
This lady had rock and roll in her veins
on 26 January 2013
prima and quick delivery.no problems whatsoever so i am a satisfied customer theo vanderheyden
on 18 December 2011
super quality. I had forgotten about this very bluesy lady and have now renewed my awe at her superb voice, well worth getting
on 10 September 2014