Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 19 June 2011
I chose this book based on other reviews. The story had me gripped right from the first page, and doesn't let up until the last page. I read it from start to finish in less than 24 hours.

It's one of those books that gives you a knot in your stomach, and you feel that you're right there with Kate and Paul, racing to find the answers to what had happened at the Cold Research Centre many years before, and having to keep one step ahead of the 'baddies' at the same time.

I felt it had a satisfying ending, and the only reason I have given this book 4 stars instead of 5 is that in some parts it is ever so slightly contrived, but it's only a minor niggle and is still a thoroughly enjoyable rollercoaster ride of a story.
on 24 February 2012
Catch Your Death is a crime thriller by writing duo Louise Voss and Mark Edwards who met after Voss, already a published novelist empathised with his struggle as a writer following a TV documentary. Unlike other duos like PJ Tracy or Josie Lloyd and Emlyn Rees, Voss and Edwards are neither related nor a couple, which makes them a tad unusual in collaborative fiction.

In Catch Your Death, Kate returns to the UK from a life in America after over a decade abroad . She has no plans to return and has essentially abducted her young son. You would think then that this would be the story, but it isn't, or at least it's only part of it. When Kate left all those years ago, she left behind a tragedy, and memories of an accident that make no sense. A fire at a research unit where she volunteered, a fire which killed her beloved boyfriend Stephen.

What Kate doesn't realise is that her knowledge of her days there make her a threat and subsequently a target. Whilst being hunted she pairs up with Stephen's twin Paul and the duo set out to discover what really happened to Stephen all those years ago.

Catch Your Death taps in to what I feel is this really current underlying fear within society, that the next big threat to humanity will come from bioterrorism. Across media from film to television to novels, an apocalypse created by mass but not entire human extinction really is in the zeitgeist of the moment. I'm thinking of Contagion, Survivors, and all the different variations of zombie disasters. It is a known fact that scientists across the world grow and manipulate viruses in labs, and now awareness of this is really becoming part of the collective psyche, after 30 years which have brought us AIDS, CJD, H1N1 and SARS, that a truly pandemic truly decimating illness could spread very easily throughout the global village. The subject of this novel is a viable and therefore extra scary threat.

Sampson one of the two main villains of this piece is one of the most chilling individuals I've come across in fiction. So evil that I would class him as being truly inhuman he is a man to have some serious nightmares about. His superior Gaunt is like one of these mad James Bond evil genius types, a tad over the top but fun nonetheless.

Sometimes when you read a book the characters and events sprout your own creative imagination, and personally I would have gone down a completely different road with the character Paul. It's not a criticism more a choose your own adventure type thing. I'm not saying my storyline would have been better, just I enjoyed imagining how it would have changed it.

One of the impressive aspects of this book is the seamless authorial voice and style, without the front cover telling you so, you would not guess it was the work of two people.

I think that Catch Your Death is a great read if you are going off on holiday and want to freak yourself out on the journey, it's what this sort of thriller is perfect for. Also, it's only 99p on Kindle, and for under a pound it's really well worth it.
on 27 January 2015
This is the third book by the Edwards/Voss duo that I've read and like the others I found myself gripped from beginning to end. As usual with their books the big strength is the characters, they become so alive and jump off the page to remain with you long after you have finished the story.
Kate is a scientist specialising in deadly viruses. When her marriage to (American) Vernon is finally over, Kate returns to England with her young son Jack. A chance encounter on a London street, blasts her back 16 years to when, as a student , she was a volunteer at a centre set up to find a cure for the common cold. The past and present merge into a foggy mist of half forgotten memories and things soon escalate into a race against time, as Kate and Paul get more and more drawn into the a plot to spread a deadly virus across the world.
The story line is very thought provoking and scary - germ warfare comes to mind. I found the scientific explanations just enough to give credibility to the plot without being over complicated and losing my interest. Sampson is a seriously scary character and drawn so well you feel you can get under his skin, definitely not someone you would want to meet!
A really exciting book and although I thought the end was going to be a bit predictable and tame, I soon found it wasn't that tame after all and the last pages once again threw me into a nail biting state of (good) tension!
Brilliant read.
on 23 June 2011
Right - first and foremost, this book is definately worth a read. It's under £1 and there is no question that the story line is pretty gripping. I read this in the space of a couple of days and didn't once come to a point where my interest waned.

That said, there does seem to be a bit of substance missing from this - I can't entirely put my finger on it, but this is a thriller that sticks to a formula. What you end up with is an entertaining story in the style of Harlem Coben, it plays by the rules of thrillers and there were no real surprises.

Do not misread this as a negative review - I really enjoyed this book. What I'm trying to (poorly) convey is this is a candy-floss book - it's really enjoyable, you'll get through it quickly - but it won't keep you sustained.

Like I said at the start though - it's an entertaining story and it's under £1; this isn't a difficult decision for you. Enjoy.
on 23 June 2011
Hmmm. Hyped as a book suitable for fans of Steig Larsson and Dan Brown, I bought this for my Kindle. Easy reading it certainly is. Convoluted plot - not really and there were parts of the book which felt like Mills and Boon rather than Michael Crichton. I found this to be fairly predictable. If you want an easy page turner, buy it - its cheap. If you want a book that is designed to leave you breathless with anticipation (as Steig Larsson did so well), then don't bother.
I literally couldn't put this e-book down. There's a steam train of a plot with two brilliant central characters, Kate and Paul, on the hunt for the truth but simultaneously being chased by an outstanding monster of a villian who is utterly terrifying. When he rings your doorbell you'd better hide as it's impossible to tell which twisted direction he'll take. Intrigue and twists come thick and fast. I thought I could see what was coming next but I was wrong at every turn.
The story is original and believable and ratchets up the tension as Kate's son becomes a pawn in the game.
There's a history and depth to the story linking back to 1990 when student Kate was a guinea pig in UK common cold research. Returning to the UK from Boston, 15 years later she comes to discover not all was as it seemed and the fire which destroyed the research unit and landed her in hospital was far more sinister than she could ever imagine. Kate's family dynamics are also wonderfully complicated with her growing attraction for the brother of her first love and her outraged new ex from the US chasing her across the UK for custody of her son as he realises Kate never intended to return.
Very highly recommended.
on 15 July 2011
I enjoyed this book, a fast moving story with plenty of action and great value for money but why don't authors do a little more research on the places where the book is supposed to be set
The reference to Hednesford as a 'sweet little village' bears no relationship to reality - Hednesford is an old colliery town and the word 'sweet' is not one that even the most loyal resident would use
There were a number of other quite amusing errors which made me chuckle but overall this was a book to enjoy and for a local, the bonus of a number of unintended laugh out loud passages
on 5 September 2012
Admittedly I didn't buy CYD (catch your death) I was given it on a recent holiday (paperback copy) . After reading the blurb I thought I'd give it a go and thankful that I did. The characters in the book are very well thought out and you actually find yourself loving (KM) and hating (JS) from the start. The book keeps you on the edge of your seat and is very difficult to put down, a cliche I know but worthy of it.
I would recommend this book to any thriller loving folk and look forward to the next instalment........great movie in the making!
on 12 July 2011
Bought this for my kindle. The subject matter is interesting and the story at the start promised to be a good read but then it descended into far fetched rubbish worthy of a kitsch James Bond film complete with villains with bad breath ! I wonder whether having two authors with differing styles is at the bottom of this? Did one write the first bit and the other finish it off? Even at 95p or whatever it cost don't bother - I'm sure this is a marketing ploy to be able to call this novel 'best selling' book on kindle. Apologies for being negative but with kindle it is difficult to know what you are getting, had I picked this up hard copy and flicked through before buying I probably wouldn't have.
on 3 July 2011
I picked this up when it shot to the top of Kindle charts and was a real bargain. It's a fast moving, easy to get in to story which is hard to put down. The ideas it uses are real and could happen and it's great to read fiction set in the UK and not the US.
The characters are realistic and believable although it is just a chance meeting that sets Kate and Paul up right at the start but then if they didn't meet there'd be no story! Also right at the end, without giving anything away, the resolution to the final part of the story had me flicking back a few pages to see if I'd missed something and I hadn't really - the ending just came together very quickly and bluntly.
But all that said, it's a good story. I'll certainly read more by these guys and have moved straight on to Killing Cupid.