5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, bittersweet and funny
It's impossible not to ache for the hero and heroine in this stunning novel. In a classic can't-live-with-him-can't-live-without-him situation - but with a heartrending extra dimension in Magnus's PTSD - Fay and Magnus have been the saving of each other, literally and metaphorically, yet life together seems impossible. Fay has divorced Magnus, unable to cope with the very...
Published on 9 Sept. 2011 by GilPhil

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but not her best
Published on 26 Feb. 2012 by Lucybird

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but not her best, 26 Feb. 2012
Lucybird (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
I must admit as far as Linda Gillard books go I found this one a little to predictable. I guessed early on at the main twist in the tale, although there were also certain bits I didn't guess at. I generally liked the characters. At least I liked Fay well enough, but I liked her (ex)mother-in-law the most and would actually have liked to see more of her. I didn't really like Magnus that much but in a way that was part of his charm, and by the end I was gunning for him.

It's an easy read so good for a relax but if you asked me to recommend a Linda Gillard book it wouldn't be this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reverting, 20 Sept. 2014
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
This book started slow but become more and more gripping till it teaches an unexpected climax at the end. What a great author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 22 Feb. 2015
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
Good page turner and not too long. Bit slow to start but then I got into it. Would recommend so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Sept. 2014
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
Love her books and this was no exception.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slo start, 13 Sept. 2014
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
Slow start, but became a very good read

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 5 Aug. 2014
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
this was interesting but again to short

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Dec. 2014
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
Fabulous read, hard to put down!

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfactory, 14 July 2013
Little Bird (Buckinghamshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Untying the Knot (Paperback)
***Contains spoilers***

I found this book somewhat disappointing compared with the other Linda Gillard novels that I've read.

It seemed like a short story from the days of Woman's Own that had been padded out into a book. Assessing the book whilst reading, nothing much seemed to be going on - I kept thinking the story will develop, but it didn't, or, there will be a twist, but there wasn't. Magnus' discovery regarding his parentage, Fay's romp with Freddie (who then got together with her daughter, Emily), Magnus breaking Fay's jaw, followed by their 'encounter' (with a broken jaw, don't forget) in the hospital bed were ludicrous - these sections seemed a desperate attempt to fill the book and from my point of view just didn't work.

We were meant to feel sorry for Fay, because of all she'd had to deal with whilst being married to Magnus, but I didn't find her character particularly likeable - she was very 'catty' towards Nina (and her parents) despite the fact Nina had fallen in love with Magnus, moved in to his home, and had presumably gone through the same problems with his condition that Fay did, but stood by him, and would have continued to do so, if he had actually been in love with her.

Even though Fay and Freddie were a chance encounter, and Emily eventually accepted that - would Emily and Freddie (Rick) seriously be able to look Fay in the eye in the future?

Also, Fay travelling here and there, and back again (!) by train was tedious, as was the over-long denouement involving the well.

PTSD must be distressing, for the sufferer and their family and friends, but although it was the subject of the book, I'm not sure it helped the reader to understand the condition any better.

Altogether an unsatisfactory read, but I guess every author will have a 'blip' from time to time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance in Ruins., 3 Sept. 2012
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
Loved it. Gillard had me enthralled yet again with her blend of troubled souls, quiet humour and complex plotting.
Magnus is suffering with severe post traumatic stress disorder, a condition that almost drives Fay to her own, extreme behaviour. Magnus attempts to banish his demons of war by immersing himself in a project, that of re-creating a Scottish stronghold, a castle ruin, believing that it would offer a sanctuary of sorts; somewhere an ex bomb disposal expert might feel safe? Genius characterisation, beautifully offset with the tiny, enigmatic Fay.
The relationship between Magnus and Fay is slowly unravelled as we learn how they actually fell apart, directly alongside their agony at actually being apart, and then their attempt to play with what remains between them. It's a case of can't live with, but can't live without.
if I was to flag up a tiny negative of this novel, (and it didn't spoil anything) but... the hospital sex scene... with a broken jaw, really?
However, I digress. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Feb. 2015