5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, bittersweet and funny
It's impossible not to ache for the hero and heroine in this stunning novel. In a classic can't-live-with-him-can't-live-without-him situation - but with a heartrending extra dimension in Magnus's PTSD - Fay and Magnus have been the saving of each other, literally and metaphorically, yet life together seems impossible. Fay has divorced Magnus, unable to cope with the very...
Published on 9 Sept. 2011 by GilPhil

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but not her best
I must admit as far as Linda Gillard books go I found this one a little to predictable. I guessed early on at the main twist in the tale, although there were also certain bits I didn't guess at. I generally liked the characters. At least I liked Fay well enough, but I liked her (ex)mother-in-law the most and would actually have liked to see more of her. I didn't really...
Published on 26 Feb. 2012 by Lucybird

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book, 28 April 2013
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
All her books are well written and satisfying to read. This is no exception, a real page turner. Can definitely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars A slow burn, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
Initially I found that the book didn't flow very well, and seemed a little fragmented, but after the first couple of chapters the story became compelling and I found that I couldn't put it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars UNTYING THE KNOT - kindle, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyed this book as well as the author's style of writing. Will try and get more books from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars First time this author., 2 Jan. 2013
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
This may be the first time I read Linda Gillard, but if her other books are as well written it may be the start of another favourite author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Untying The Knot, 21 Oct. 2012
Joanne Phillips (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
Having read all Linda Gillard's other books, I knew I was in for a treat with Untying the Knot. Linda Gillard is an author completely in control of her material, with an innate understanding of how to present a narrative to the reader. To me, this is a very grown up type of love story, taking apart the destruction of a marriage, and exploring whether two people who clearly should be together can manage to make their relationship work. All of Linda Gillard's characters are, as ever, perfectly drawn and completely believable. This is a writer in her prime.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 19 Mar. 2012
Susanne (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
I was compelled to write a brief review, because the book moved me so much. This is my third book by Linda and very much my favourite so far.

It is the story of Fay and Magnus. They love each other beyond all else, but cannot live together. Magnus, a war hero, suffers from PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) because of his previous life in the Army where he was a bomb disposal expert. Fay leaves him, but they both know that although they cannot live together, they cannot live apart either.

The story is a mixture of comedy and tragedy - certain parts had me laughing out loud, whilst others had me close to tears.

The ending was the most amazing, heart stopping ending I have read for a long time. Just the most moving and realistic piece of writing.

Of all Linda's hero's, Magnus was the one I really loved. Fay, with her quirky humour, was someone I could really relate to. Other characters in the book are so lifelike - I've met some of them in my own life - poor Nina's mother was a classic!

It is not Romance and it is definitely not Chick Lit, but a beautiful, sensitive story of people one can relate to.

There was a lot of humour in this book - and a lot of tragedy - I loved it.

I'm so glad I have discovered Linda Gillard.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth buying, 7 Feb. 2012
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
This author writes very well about grown-up, complicated characters and the relationships that they are a part of. I really liked Magnus and found him to be a believable character. Linda Gillard has clearly researched PTSD which I found really interesting. If you're still uhmming and ahhing over whether you should buy this book or not, do! Ignore the awful, chick lit cover. It's a great read and I can't believe it cost next to nothing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another five star masterpiece, 17 Nov. 2011
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
This story was like one of Fays textile compositions, layer upon layer of emotions and passions so real and raw that you could reach out and touch them, feel the textures of them and savour them. I loved Marcus. Not like I loved Marek (well hel-lo!) or Keir (sigh) or Callum (c'mere ya wee hottie!!) but because he was so complex, so flawed, so.....human!

And Fay, so beautifully imagined by Linda, became more solid and dear to me as I learned her story. Who could blame her for deserting Magnus and Tully Tower? Not me! I'd still be running now!

Keep writing these wonderful non formulaic gems please Linda, and keep giving me characters that get under my skin and into my head and who I am convinced I'll bump into next time I'm in Scotland.

5.0 out of 5 stars ) which I really enjoyed so I had high hopes for this one, 29 April 2015
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
The only other book I have read by Linda Gillard was "Emotional Geology" (hope I've got that right!) which I really enjoyed so I had high hopes for this one. I was not disappointed. There were many twists and turns and it was a hard to put down book. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hooked, 16 Jun. 2012
Leri (North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
Bit of a slow burn to get me hooked on this one, but hooked I was nevertheless. Fascinating reading the passages about post traumatic stress. Loved the chemistry between magnus and fay. They were so meant to be together. :-)

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›