Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 September 2012
I don't often bother to write reviews, but this disc is so brilliant, I have to say something.

I bought it for the 1812 Overature as Classic FM rated it so highly. I played the disc and the opening piece of music, the Cappricio Italien was so brilliantly played, the depth of sound was so luxuriant that it literally took my breath away. I cannot recommend this disc highly enough. Five stars plus.
on 12 March 2015
I remember hearing the choral intro to the 1812 on vinyl about 30 years ago (I think it was one of my brother's collection) and hadn't heard it since. So I was delighted when I saw it mentioned in another review of this CD and decided to take the plunge. How glad I am that I did!! This entire CD is graced with the most stunning renditions of these Tchaikovsky stalwarts that I have heard anywhere. I already own versions of these elsewhere in my CD/LP collection but none come close to these performances and recordings. 10/10 for performance and 10/10 for recording quality. Simply stunning all round!!
on 20 March 2015
This is the choral version, which I didn't know when ordering. It lacks the definition of the pure orchestral versions.
on 18 September 2013
This is an excellent collection,with good clear sound and tone.I particularly wanted the 1812 with all the 'bells and whistles' and this has not disappointed!
on 24 January 2016
There are many recordings of the '1812' of course, but this one is really excellent. In addition, you get the other works referred to, all of which are beautifully executed, both in performance and quality of production and recording. This disc really is something of a gem and for those looking for a recording of the 1812, you really couldn't do better. Very highly recommended indeed - this is a wonderful disc.
on 27 December 2013
The St Petersburg Phil is is one of my favourites of the 1812, so much so that I've given away my other two which I don't like as much at this one.
on 11 May 2015
I only bought this for the cannon fire at the finale which wasn't sufficiently dynamic since I must have heard better. JKS(Mrs.)
on 27 April 2016
This was a birthday gift and contained lots of extras including a choral section.
Good value and quality.
on 28 August 2014
Item as described and exactly what I was looking for, well packaged and delivered within timeframe.
on 19 December 2014
I am not that up on music but this is just one of the bits I love. Just what I wanted.