It arrived from, I think, Germany hence the extra few days for delivery. Well packaged BitFenix Merc Alpha cheap case. On opening, I was surprised how light it is. I have an Antec case which I paid £30 for some 3 years ago which feels much more solid. That said, this case is smaller and enough for the job it does - carbon footprint might be better. Metal is quite thin but it is adequate for the job. It feels and looks well designed. It has one rear fan installed; if you have a modern PC, you'll want others and there's ample room for them. I have an Antec 650watt TPNew PSU and that fits well on the bottom. I got some Silverstone filters for the induct fans. There are hidden cable routes to remove circulation issues. It has four robust USB slots on the top which are handy depending on how you use the case. Overall, it is a decent case for the money. Looks a lot better than it costs. I'll populate it with an Asus P8Z68 Pro/Gen3, Intel i5 2500K, Corsair 2x4GB LP white, OCZ 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB. Hopefully, it will last another few years. Not unhappy with my purchase.

Try [...] for a full review...
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 January 2013
Most PC gamers don't tend to buy the budget cases due to fears to shoddy build quality and just general difficulties in use. I can say that after building a computer inside this case, it has an amazing build quality for the price and whilst it was somewhat difficult to put everything together it was not in anyway frustrating or annoying.

One thing I must point out is the the 8-pin CPU connector will not fit through the designated cable hole in the case and most power supply units will not have a long enough cable anyway. For this I really would suggest buying a modular power supply unit.

The fans that came with the case were near silent, they made no noise whatsoever, I am so amazed I have purchased more of the same fans from BitFenix. Another thing to point out is that if you buy the Merc Beta, the front drive bays can be removed with a Dremel tool to fit a 240mm radiator in the front as well as a 240mm radiator in the top after creating the mounting holes for it. In the Merc Alpha, you can only install the front radiator after modding as the top fan slots do not provide clearance of the RAM modules.
on 14 December 2012
Bought this to replace an antec case which had a faulty power button.

The first thing I noticed when I picked up the box is how light it was in comparison to my old antec case. This was all down to the very thin sheets of metal used for its construction.
Despite the very thin metal construction, the case is well built and fits together snugly.

I had no problem fitting my existing motherboard and PSU in and had no issues with cable routing or sharp edges.

The only issue I had with the case was noise. I had two fans in total in the case, one in the PSU and one for the CPU. While the sound of the air going through the case wasn't a problem, it was the pulsing noise coming from the whole case that proved too annoying. On top of that, the hard rive cage seemed to amplify the hard drive noise and this wasn't a noisy hard drive, it was a western digital caviar green.

In the end, I sent the case back.
on 16 December 2012
I bought this PC case to house the parts for my old computer as they were hanging out of a mini case that wouldn't fit everything in. There is more than enough room inside for a medium to high end build, it may struggle for width if fitting some of the larger CPU heatsinks such as the Noctua NH-D14 and alike but other than that there is plent of room for large GPU's, water cooling blocks/radiators full size motherboards and large PSU's. Over all I think this is a fantastic case for a budget, even if you are building a gaming computer this case could save you money and still perform as well as a case 2 - 3 times the price. A great buy.
on 25 July 2012
This case looks very nice has some good features for the price. However, if you have a micro-atx motherboard, I do not recommend this case at all. The case says it supports micro-atx motherboards, but the it is nearly impossible to screw all the standoffs for some reason. You also need a tool to remove the brass standover, a phillips head screw driver wouldn't do the job, so my micro-atx board only had support from 3 screws even though it needed 6. I/O panel was also hard to install, it doesn't click properly.

Everything else was easy to install, cable management was easy and nice which was a plus.
on 16 November 2014
I'm rather impressed with this little case. I've been using it for about 5 years and it's been a decent budget gaming case. I've since built a new system and gone for the NZXT H440, but this still lives on in my office as my office machine. It's a fairly small case so I'd only recommended it for low to mid range systems. It has space for two fans on the side panel, 2 on the top and one on the back. It sports decent mounting space for HDD's. I can't remember much else about the case honestly but I still remain impressed with this case considering its price.
on 9 January 2013
For the money this case is superb!
You get a rear fan and to gratings (side panel and top panel).
One thing I liked is the 3.5" external drive bay that i used for my two usb 3.0 adapter.
You don't get the tool-free drive bays like some of the more expensive cases, but it's not a downside.
The black finish is good quality, it doesn't scratch off!
Plenty of room fans! (1 x front, 2 x top panel, 2 x side panel)
Plenty of room for cable management!
on 2 January 2014
+ point
looks well built and stylish
arrived in time
ample space inside
not too heavy
includes all the nuts you want
plenlty of fan mounting positions
strong and durable
front connection (usb/mic/headphobe) are very handy

- point
USB 3 ports are only available at back
other than that a well built case for the price worth every penny
on 3 December 2013
till now there is no problem and i am very pleased with the case.
There is plenty of space and the set up was very easy.

on 23 June 2012
Highly recommended for everyone looking for a spacious case that does not take up the whole floor. I am very pleased with the quality and the layout, this "Alpha" version also features lots of breathing holes. Pros and gamers might not be satisfied with a simple case like this, for everyone else, this is the best buy in the price range!