4.0 out of 5 stars A great camera in most ways but some problems (updated review)
The X10 is a slightly older (but still very capable) Premium compact, but at a price where the niggles and quirks fade away.

I previously used the X10 not long after it came out, I liked it but the 500 price tag was fairly hefty at the time
Fast forward to today and the price is vastly cheaper, making the X10 a tremendous bargain and a good single camera...
Published 2 months ago by Mr Baz

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera - but one major flaw
Published on 12 Jan 2012 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely handling and good images- I'm glad I bought my X10, 15 Mar 2012
This review is from: Fujifilm X10 Digital Camera - (12MP EXR CMOS, 4x Optical Zoom) 2.8 inch LCD Screen (Electronics)
If you read some of the enthusiastic reviews here and on other sites you may think that the fujifilm X10 is the answer to all your dreams- It may just be, depending on what your dreaming of! I have had my X10 for a couple of days (from LCE due to trading in my old G7) and here are the first impressions: Lovely design, handling and build quality (be sure you are into the 'retro look' before buying) and some great, but expensive accessories. Having used mostly Nikon DSLR and Canon compacts the fuji was a very different experience and the menus and settings took some getting used to- helped by the U Tube 'fuji guys'. My testing has been confined to low light due to the weather and work commitments, so this is only a limited review- more later.
The good: Excellent lens at all settings, flare resistant and bright through the range, with little distortion. Low light and higher ISO settings are respectable but cannot match DSLR quality. Speed of use- quick start, focus and shooting. Full choice of settings and control (although you need to know what the camera will change without telling you!). Excellent JPEG's with great fujifilm colours. In camera RAW processing. Best optical viewfinder in it's class; zooms with the lens but covers only 85% view and the lens blocks part of the frame, but it is much better than the Canon G12 viewfinder. I love the understated flash- very subtle. Great features like electronic level display, extended dynamic range settings and low light mode are worth having.
The Bad: Battery life is poor (no worries- they are small and cheap so buy a spare). The panoramic in-camera mode is only good for web use. Menus and settings are confusing at first. White orbs/specular highlights- yes; if you look hard enough and set the camera up (to fail) then you can see them. But for most of my shooting it is not a problem (I would never have noticed them if I had not read about it in reviews). If you do a lot of night photography or shoot reflections and highlights, then this might be more serious. Not quite a 'compact' (but much lighter than my D300), so if you want a very small quality camera go for the LX5.
VERDICT: This is a lovely camera and you just want to pick it up and take photographs! The good outweighs the bad- so far I like it and will do some more testing and update the review then.
My comments are a personal view and I'm not a professional.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera - but one major flaw, 12 Jan 2012
There's much to like about the Fujifilm X10, including the retro styling, the fact that you can use an assortment of modes in different situations, dynamic range expansion, nice fast lens, and every good low light performances in many situations. It's a camera that's better suited to the person who wants to take jpegs straight out of the camera rather than shoot RAW and process yourself. There still seems to be confusion about whether in RAW, you are actually getting a 12 megapixel image or a 6 megapixel one. Be aware of this if you need big prints.

A more serious drawback, for my usage, which involves much night time photography, is that it has a serious flaw that Fuji has acknowledged and says it is fixing. It was feared this issue was caused by hardware, but the company has suggested that it may be a processing issue that it will fix in a new firmware update.

The issue is poor handling of highlights, and is variously known as "disks", "orbs", "WDS", "scheiben", and "soucoupes".

Flare or very strong specular highlights sometimes eventually resolve into hard white circles, larger than the original light source. It looks as if someone has taken a hole punch to your image. If you do night photography, photography with strong specular highlights, shoot chrome, or concerts with lights, reflections, or sunsets, you may end up with these hard-edged white circles.

Maybe it won't affect YOUR shooting conditions, but be aware of it before you buy. It's a shame because this is a horrible weakness in a superb little body.

The only other issue I have with it is the focus, which can be slow in certain circumstances, and which has occasionally snapped out of focus just as I shot.

---

The new update is that Fuji have acknowledged this sensor issue and said they will replace sensors in already purchased cameras as from May. They are currently working on those sensors. So you would be wise not to buy until after there are guarantees the new models coming off the production line have the fixed sensors. fixed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little camera, 29 May 2012
J Baker (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
I just purchased this last week as my second camera but have totally fallen in love with it. It is very well built and works exceptionally well. It can produce wonderfully shallow depth of field shots from it's fast lens and has an array of excellent features.

After purchasing I read up about the Orb issues and was initially concerned so I did many tests in situations which should produce orbs and have been unable to reproduce them. Either this is an intermittent issue, occurs very rarely or the news sensors are already making their way into new cameras. In any case I feel reassured that should it become a problem Fuji have agreed to replace the sensors in all faulty X10 cameras.

The only issues with the camera are how easily the LCD display scratches, I got some small scratches on the first day of use, being used to the Canon screens on their top end DSLRs I had always thoughts screen protectors a waste of time, however they are essential with this camera. I purchased these and didn't have issues with bubbles or alignment: 6 IN 1 PACK CLEAR LCD SCREEN PROTECTORS FOR FUJIFILM FINEPIX X10 - 3 LAYER ANTI-SCRATCH DISPLAY SAVERS

If you are looking for a leather case I highly recommend the BV & Jo case that is 1/2 the cost of the Fuji one and very high quality: 2 Parts Hard Leather Case for Fuji FujiFilm Finepix X10 digital Camera (Brown)

I would have also liked the battery to last a little longer, again I may just have high expectations, however this really isn't an issue as you can pick up Energiser replacements from about 4.

Overall an excellent little camera that takes amazing shots, with lots of creative freedom, small enough to take everywhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Compromise, 5 Mar 2012
L. Capper (London) - See all my reviews
As with all engineered products the X10 is a compromise between cost, weight, size, quality of output, the laws of physics and the size of our fingers. And being a new product there is the added risk of design faults. I am a keen and experienced photographer who can no longer carry heavy and cumbersome SLRs but wanted to take good quality pictures; this was my chosen compromise. I can carry it easily in a bag attached to my belt - with spare batteries etc it weighs some 700gms gross.

A software bug - it displayed F 2.2 and not 2.0 - was rectified during manufacture. The bright orbs which must be due to a hardware fault have not appeared, or maybe they don't appear in the pictures I have so far taken. Or maybe later models have been changed. The software fix apparently does not work.

In use;
I have only had this camera for a few weeks and I am still in a learning cycle
initially the camera did not always switch on when required - an initial fault reported elsewhere. If this fault occurs again I shall return the camera to Amazon
it is NOT a camera for beginners, but is not difficult to learn how to use. Much is intuitive
there has been a major advance in the technology over the last few years and this has to be absorbed and used
a small camera body results in small dials and buttons being close together. Small fingers are a help
the design and layout of the various controls are OK for me, but may not suit everybody
the picture quality is good, much helped by the fast lens; possibly better than many early digital SLRs
high ISOs are well handled with limited noise
the algorithms handing the JPG files do a good job that will satisfy most photographers
the viewfinder is useful in bright light, although I would prefer a fully functioning EVF

This is not an up-market SLR, but given its size and cost it satisfies me, providing the fault outlined above does not return. Hence 4 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last an ideal compact camera for enthusiast photographers, 15 Dec 2011
I really enjoy photography and even do some paid work. I use Nikon DSLRs and a selection of great lenses. I have always craved a camera that I could slip into a pocket and take anywhere without having to take a substantial camera bag that may get in the way and stop me carrying other stuff or attract the wrong attention. I fancied something that wouldn't attract attention when I'm trying to go unnoticed as a photographer and that would be easy to look after while travelling through dodgy cities or countries. A camera for skiing, for lightweight travel, work trips...the list is endless. The thing that has stopped me getting such a camera to date is the poor image quality and sluggish handling, with a serious absence of user control and the use of slow aperture lenses.

When I saw the X10 I was excited by the concept of a compact camera that handled like a real camera, had build quality to be proud of, a fast and decent zoom lens and offered decent image quality.

Having ordered one I have had time to have a useful play and make some assessment of the performance and user experience.

Firstly, I found the user interface and menu system generally intuitive and easy to understand, only having to use the book a few times.

Build quality is excellent and its a pleasure to handle and look at the camera.

Handling the camera is a joy with all the controls a keen photographer could ask for and the short range zoom lens is a gem in use, with well-damped zoom action. It is sharp all the way from f2 and to both ends of the zoom (perhaps slightly better at wide end), with only slight corner softness at some settings. There seems to be no obvious chromatic abberation and distortion is satisfactory. The close up modes are really effective and careful use of the fast apertures with close focus can give subject isolation I have never seen on a compact camera.

Response in focus and shutter release is superb with none of that awful shutter or focus lag that misses the moment. The option to easily choose from a huge coverage of focus points is very useful.

Image quality is really quite amazing for a compact camera and much better than I have ever seen before. Sure, the sensor has its limitations and dynamic range, noise and a multitude of other factors will never compare with the absolute performance of a large sensor camera. But I am very satisfied with the images, when usually I am horrified by the jpeg artifacts and awful over-sharpening on so many compacts. I think the jpeg processing engine does a superb job of producing shots that need little if any work. I am a dedicated RAW shooter but I will be shooting jpeg on this camera almost all the time. I have tried RAW and it is now supported in ACR, but I cannot achieve as good a result generally as the in-camera jpeg engine. I really love the Fuji image rendering and this can easily be changed by easy to access and understand settings or film simulation modes. There are some interesting options in the EXR and other modes, including panoramas.

The flash is not powerful but is easy to use, well-designed into the body and gives a useful boost to exposures without blasting light and causing ugly shadows...its more of a fill-flash that works very well with the ambient exposure.

To me it is a revelation to have a compact camera that can take very good images at ISO 1600, usable ones at ISO 3200 and that handles like a real camera, giving joy to the act of photography itself.

There are a few annoyances...when face detection is selected it disables the ability to display and choose a focus point. The lens cannot be properly fitted with a UV filter due to its unusual thread size/design, unless the overpriced hood is purchased. RAW shooting is selected in the setup menu (a RAW button does give the option to take one RAW shot after each button push). Auto ISO seems to choose ISO 400 a fair bit when 200 would do (although quality is still very good indeed) Video quality looks very good but there is some jerking while panning.

In short, this camera puts the fun back into easy and spontaneous shooting in a convenient and very competent package. I love it so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fuji X10 a perfect ergonomic joy, the modern Leica CL, 29 May 2012
P. Mcgroary "Paul McGroary" (Kettering UK) - See all my reviews
Superb I fell in love with a Leica CL in 1973 when I was a lad. 39 years later I have the digital zoom heir to that beautiful camera.
Lens is superb, images crisp and accurate and it is just a joy to use, fully digital and yet feels like an old fashioned pro manual camera.
A real joy, buy one you will not be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fuji X10 Review, 19 Dec 2012
This camera, as many other people have commented, inspires a bit of a love hate relationship. When I first bought the camera I took a photo with my Nikon DSLR and thought it would be interesting to take the same still life photo with the X10. I found the idiosyncrasies of the camera infuriating and it took me ages to product the same photo I'd taken quickly and easily on my SLR. To be fair this was largely because I didn't know how to operate the camera because I'd not sat down and read the manual, being an engineer such things are anathema.

Having learnt how to use the camera, particularly in manual focus and manual exposure I have found it a lot more usable but there are still some incredibly frustrating user interface quirks.

On the positive side the camera does produce very high quality photos with very good dynamic range. By default I use it in 6MP mode, I can hear you all screaming why would you do that when it's a 12MP camera? In answer I'd say what is the point of this endless quest for more mega pixels, when few of us print larger than A3, when I can have something useful instead like greater dynamic range. If you don't believe me then that's your loss not mine.

The Pro low light mode is really effective, amazingly so, as long as you don't have movement in your image. The image stabilization works really well to so it's quite viable to hand hold this camera at 1/10th to 1/20th second and with pro low light, to shoot at 3200ASA. That's a pretty effective combination but does assume no movement of your subject.

The camera is generally very responsive. I'm ambivalent about having the on/off switch on the lens, there are pros and cons but overall it's OK. The camera is very solidly built and I've found that it really is small enough so carry in a jacket pocket when I'd not normally carry a camera, which is really why I bought it.

I have to say one of the main reasons I bought this camera is that it has an optical viewfinder. Maybe I'm just getting old but the absence of a viewfinder on most compact cameras nowadays seem like the elephant in the room, if you're tending to long sightedness, as I am, it means you either have to hold the camera way too far away from your eyes to be able to focus on the rear display, at which point you're framing based on a tiny display held at arm's length. Add to that the fact that this is the most unstable of support positions for a camera and it's all highly unsatisfactory. Hence the requirement for an optical viewfinder. Unfortunately the viewfinder on the X10 is one of its weaker points. It inevitably suffers quite badly from parallax and is hence quite an inaccurate framing mechanism, plus of course it has no camera information displayed in the viewfinder. So all in all, having gone out of my way to get a camera with a viewfinder, I've found myself using the rear display more often than not. However I'm sure there will still be times, such as in bright sunlight, that I'll be glad of the viewfinder.

Oh, another point worth mentioning is don't be tempted to turn the brightness up on the rear display. I did that when I first used the camera and it just causes the image on the display to clip horribly so it looks as though every photo is really badly overexposed.

I've seen several people curse the manual focus and say it's useless. Which if you treat it as normal manual focus it is, it's way too insensitive to be useable. However, if you're in manual focus, just press the AE/AF button, the auto focus will snap in, and then leave it where it is when you re-frame. That in my book is a damn useful feature and I'm more than happy with it.

I've also seen a few people criticise the need to take the lens cap off and turn the lens just to review images. RTFM. You don't have to do that, just press the play button for a couple of seconds and playback mode comes on, another brief press and it turns off.

A couple of things I don't like are the macro mode, which quite frankly is crap. I've seen so many reviews that say it's great, but I'm sorry it's not. It can focus down to 1cm, no one ever says what the field of view is, which is a lot wider than you expect like a couple of inches or so, and what use is 1cm focus distance anyway? At that point you've blocked out all the light. If you go above 28mm effective focal length then the focus distance rockets to the point where it's not really macro at all. The other really annoying thing is that if you select super macro mode then both internal and external flash capabilities are disabled! Great so now I can't light my subject at all. It's things like that last point that really winds me up about this camera. I guess I can see why they've done it, as it would not be viable to use the internal flash when close up because the shadow of the lens would fall over the image area but I would really like to have been able to use an external flash.

So do I love it or hate it? It is a good camera, it's responsive, the focusing is excellent, the image quality is excellent, the optics are really good, there's certainly a lot to like and if I'm honest I do like it. I did wonder about buying an X100 and I'm really glad I didn't as I think I would have found the fixed length lens too restrictive and don't forget the X10 has image stabilization and the X100 doesn't so if you're photographing static subjects, which I mostly do, then the X10 allows you to shoot at 3 stops slower shutter speed than the X100. That means instead of shooting the X100 at 1600ASA you can shoot the X10 at 200ASA, at which point the noise on the X10 will be just as good as the X100. Of course the image quality won't be as good but does it need to be better than the X10? I've printed a 6MP file, slightly cropped, from the X10 at A3 and it's razor sharp, so for me that's as higher image quality as I need.

So on the whole the X10 delivers on what it promises, a high quality compact with lots of manual control if you need it and excellent dynamic range and overall image quality. It does have a quirky and annoying user interface in parts, although much of the control is more than adequate, and the battery life isn't great but both of these problems can very easily be worked around. It does have 2 customisable buttons and a spare battery only costs a few pounds. Overall I don't regret having bought it and have produced some excellent photos from it.

UPDATE 25th Jan 2013

I just thought I'd post a brief update of this camera now that I've been using it for a while. After the recent snow I took the camera out with me when I went for a walk. I'd unfortunately left it on 800ASA and not realised, so all the photos I took where at that sensitivity. When I first realised this, when I got home, I was expecting the images to be noisy and have all detail smeared on them, as is the nature of compact sensors when used at high sensitivities.

How wrong I was! There was virtually no perceptible noise and the image quality and detail was excellent. I also, due to having the ISO set at 800ASA, way over exposed some images to the point that they were mostly white with a few light grey tones in them. As a matter of interest I pulled the exposure slider down in Lightroom to see what was left in the file. Guess what? All the detail was recoverable with no blown highlights! And I had to reduce exposure by almost 3 stops. That's better dynamic range than my Nikon SLR. I should point out I'm talking about RAW images processed in Lightroom here.

I have to say that this camera continues to substantially exceed my expectations. Yes it does have a few annoying idiosyncrasies but most of them aren't a major problem. I do rather wish I'd held out for the X20 as that has an active viewfinder, which would overcome the biggest issue I have with the X10, but if you take that approach you'd wait forever and never buy anything.

All in all this is a gem of a camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Camera!, 5 Aug 2012
M. Keys (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm not going to go into all the technical stuff, there's plenty of that on here already.

I've been using a Canon 1000d with 3 lenses for a couple of years and although I do love taking photos, I found lugging the whole kit around and fiddling about with different lenses very off putting. I also felt a little self conscious with a DSLR, not sure why! Anyway, I've been looking for a compact camera that would take quality photos and allow manual control, whilst being easy to carry and inconspicuous. I've finally found the perfect one in the Fuji X10.

It looks gorgeous, feels solid and of high quality, and it takes beautiful photos. The controls for ISO, aperture etc... are all within easy reach. The FN and RAW buttons can be changed to whatever function you prefer. Oh and it shoots in RAW, pretty impressive for a point and shoot. All in all it is the perfect camera for me and I will be taking it everywhere with me - because I can! No more heavy kit to carry.

Also, if you do some research on this model, you will no doubt read about the 'Orb' problem. I did order one from a different company and it did have orbs (bright white hard edged circles of light) in photos of shiny surfaces and bright lights. It was also a camera that had been previously used, so I sent it back. I ordered a replacement from Amazon and it was brand new, in a sealed bag with no orbs in my photos! Fuji have fixed this issue now, so don't be put off. Order from Amazon and it will be fine, it's only old stock that still has the issue. I just think it's sad that people are put off buying this little gem by all the rumours.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Five Star Camera, 24 Nov 2011
The first three reviews have set a pattern that I think will continue for this camera and I echo all of the positive comments. To buy this camera, I sold my nearly new Canon 1000D, on Amazon, to part fund it. When my X10 arrived, I knew instantly I did the right thing.

The X10 is Rangefinder-like in design and is very similiar to my Bessa 35mm film camera. It is beautiful and beautifully built. To me, the aesthetic of my picture taking device is as important to me as any technical fluff. My Canon 1000D was functionally very good, but its look, feel and handling were souless. The X10 is like my old metal rangefinder and film SLR's; wonderfull to hold and to fiddle with. I also purchased it for its manual qualities; the zoom, exposure compensation, etc. Perhaps also I was seduced by the film emulation modes - I shoot Fuji Velvia colour film. I am a keen photographer, but not to the extent that I want to sit at my PC for hours fiddling with RAW files, though I understand that some photographers enjoy the digital darkroom process. The X10 allows that with its proprietary RAW option (not really supported outside of Fuji's bundled software). The JPEGs out of the X10 are awesome and totally belie the sensor size. If you print no larger than A4ish and don't overcrop, the images are superb. I hardly ever crop, following the example of HCB.

This is a camera that people will want to own because it has style, quality and enough imaging horsepower to satisfy those whose concern is more about composition than than pixel peeping. This is a camera for people who enjoy the process of picture taking. Finally, at the time of writing, the Amazon sellers prices are lets say rather on the high side. I got mine from Firscall Photographic for 430 quid ex-stock, so shop around carefully.

All in all, this could be the last digital camera I ever buy. I love it.

February 17 2012 update. A few months along and I still love this camera. Nary a problem with it. It's good to see that the doom mongers who prattled on about white blobs have been defeated and the camera is still at 4 and bit stars. By the by, the firmware update for this RARE white blooming issue has been released (not that I ever experienced it). The DPreview mob have been repelled, some by now may even have purchased a camera (any camera) and are using it. Me, I have a whole bunch of images from the X10 that I am very happy with. I'm even experimenting with using it in square format. Just brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars I sold my well loved Nikon DSLR, 21 July 2014
A few years ago, I sold my well loved Nikon DSLR, lenses, bag, filters and other accessories. I just was not using them. I would look at the camera when I was about to leave the house and think 'I just can't face lugging that thing around all day'.

So I decided to get a Fuji x10.

I love
- The styling. Lots of people have commented on it, it's a real talking point.
- The features. I have a great level of control with this camera. There are some compromises vs a DSLR, but not that regularly bother me.
- The image quality is great. I tend to use the camera on Velvia simulation mode, which produces lovely warm images.
- The Weight/Size. This camera will easily fit in the pocket of my coat if I am out walking, and is small enough to carry unobtrusively over one shoulder.
- The Pro Low Light Mode. I just love this feature. It takes several pictures in rapid succession and uses them to work out what in the image should remain as part of the picture, and what was camera shake and needs to be removed. It works brilliantly and allows amazing low-light and night time city-scape shots, not to mention street-photography at night, lit only by streetlighting or the light spilling from shops and restaurants.

Things I Don't love
- The battery needs recharged if you leave it more than a few days. Don't think 'I haven't used the camera since I last put that battery in it. It will be okay! You need a spare too.
- The battery indicator seems to be at 'full' for ages, then drops to nothing really quickly.

I recently purchased an XM-1 as an upgrade. Each time I pull a camera out of the drawer though, it's this one. It's easy to use, great image quality, lovely colour rendition, and that great low-light mode.

Get one!