5.0 out of 5 stars When all the cards are down, this is a great camera
After using this camera for around 3 months, I can safely say it has changed the way I take photographs, and changed the way I view photography itself (both in a positive way).

Published on 20 April 2012 by A. Waring

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera - but one major flaw
There's much to like about the Fujifilm X10, including the retro styling, the fact that you can use an assortment of modes in different situations, dynamic range expansion, nice fast lens, and every good low light performances in many situations. It's a camera that's better suited to the person who wants to take jpegs straight out of the camera rather than shoot RAW and...
Published on 12 Jan. 2012 by Scribe53

5.0 out of 5 stars When all the cards are down, this is a great camera, 20 April 2012
A. Waring - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fujifilm X10 Digital Camera - (12MP EXR CMOS, 4x Optical Zoom) 2.8 inch LCD Screen (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)

The above sounds grandiose I know, but allow me to fill you in. For many years I used a Pentax DSLR (mid-range) with some decent (again, mid-range) lenses attached and I have been more than happy with this setup. Indeed, I still am.
I'm no fanboy of any one brand, I'll use anything that seems "good" without prejudice and have owned various point and shoots from various brands (although only the above mentioned DSLR).

The asking price for the Fuji X10 is not trivial to me, it's a camera that had to impress to stay with me, but do not take this to mean I'm in some sort of buyers denial. I'll very quickly return an item if it is not up to scratch. Also, I'm not going to go into huge detail here. There are professional reviews online for that. I'm just a user that is impressed enought to share my views.

All that said, onwards with impressions.

I feel that the main reason most people get a camera at this range is the image quality rather than anything else and I can safely say that the X-10 has fantastic image quality. Things are pin sharp if you focus them correctly and the images produced can be stunning. I do not shoot much in RAW, but know that this camera is capable of this and, when coupled with a decent SD card, is ample fast enough for RAW shoots.

The ability to change "film" settings has been very much appreciated. At first appearing to be a gimmick to me, they have quickly become one of my most used features. So much so that I have set the RAW button to toggle between them. The options vary colour saturation, various black and whites etc. and provide on-the-fly creative control of the picture in very useful and appealing ways.

For most of my photography, I shoot full manual, setting the aperture/ISO/speed to my desires. The X-10 is very capable in this regard. Quick changes of any of these settings are possible, with at most one click. Capturing photos quickly with dynamic situations is no problem here. Exposure stops can be changed with their own manual dial, which is very useful.

Whilst I previously always shot full manual or A/S/M priority, the EXR mode on the X-10 has been something of a revelation to me. This is billed as a 12MP camera. This is absolutely true, but allow me to suggest something - Use this camera as a 6MP camera.
It sounds crazy, I know but I've found that the X-10 shines when used in such a capacity. A lot of the fancy modes have to be used with the 6MP size, which leads me to believe that the sensor is in reality 6MP, leaving around 6MP headroom to really beef up your picture.
EXR mode is basically a "High Quality Auto Mode". If you set the camera to 12MP, a lot of these features are disabled. At 6MP, they are all available to you and boy does the camera shine. EXR auto lets the camera choose from dozens of presets (and combinations) depending on the picture. I've found it to be very good at identifying the scene and have been floored at times by the images it produces. Pictures taken in EXR are more like my eye sees than my manual settings can (for the most part) reproduce.
With a tinge of guilt, I have almost left the camera exclusively in EXR mode for some time now, only changing the film settings as desired.

Special note must also be given to the dynamic range, ISO quality and "Pro Modes". The dynamic range of the X-10 is outstanding but is again limited when used in 12MP size (again giving creedance to my 6MP theory). When DR is set to 400 or Auto, I have taken pictures inside a dark room with a bright sunlit day outside and the image has retained detail outside and in - like I said, more like my "real eye" sees it. No blown highlights or ridiculously under-exposed indoors.
I've found the ISO to be useable up to 1200, which frankly (compared to what I'm used to) is staggering.
The pro modes offer a low light mode (I just use the EXR mode TBH), panorama and a "Bokeh" mode. Panorama allows you to stitch together photos and works very well - horizontally and vertically. The Bokeh mode is very useful for when the f2.0 isn't cutting it. It'll intelligently blur the background of a subject, giving a pleasing effect. It must be said however, it isn't always intelligent and can sometimes cut into the subject itself. It is a pleasing effect none-the-less.

Handling wise, I think it feels great. I love being able to zoom the lens manually. It just feels "right". The camera is weighty and everything accessible with a little practice. The on/off function is also very natural.

I don't like the optical viewfinder however. Whilst the light through it is good. the difference between what it sees and the actual photograph is not pleasant (it has a crop factor). I very much wish that the OVF seen exactly the image being taken. It does zoom with the lens however, so there is that.

There is also the issue of Orbs. In over 1000 images taken and a few months of use, it has affected 1 of my images. This may be unacceptable to you, which is fair enough. To me, it has not been an issue. Know that Fujifilm are willing to replace the sensor with a new version towards the end of May 2012.

So, there you go. There's a lot more that I could write about, but it's too much to ask that you read it.
Simply put, I have not used my DSLR since I got the X-10. I find it a joy to be able to put a camera in my pocket that can get pictures I am genuinely proud of and impressed with, whilst retaining some 95% of the creative control my DSLR gives.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'll answer them if I can.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great camera in most ways despite some niggles, 19 July 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The X10 is a slightly older (but still very capable) Premium compact, but at a price where the niggles and quirks fade away.

I previously used the X10 not long after it came out, I liked it but the £500 price tag was fairly hefty at the time
Fast forward to today and the price is vastly cheaper, making the X10 a tremendous bargain and a good single camera or as "want something decent, but smaller" camera for SLR or system camera users. I'm not short on cameras, but there is always room for a good one.

**Note update at the end of the review**

A quick summary of my experience so far with the X10 and some points to note:

Good stuff:
+ Excellent build quality, magnesium alloy body feels very solid and robust with a nod to retro design, lots of controls
+ Useful and fast 28-112mm equivalent (f2 to f2.8) lens
+ Lens is optically very good with high resolution and sharpness even wide open, smooth mechanical zoom action
+ 2/3" sensor delivers impressive quality for the sensor size, and good dynamic range (EXR sensor)
+ Optical viewfinder, few cameras have this nowadays and it's and it's quite a good size (bigger than the G series Canon's) Also has dioptre correction.
+ Good macro capability via the super macro (1cm at the wide end)
+ 2.8", 460,000 dot LCD not the highest resolution, but the display is clear
+ Mostly fully featured for a compact, full manual controls, intelligent modes, lots of filters and effect manual zoom, Raw shooting, 2 custom user settings on the dial. Pretty much fully loaded for a camera
+ Has a hot shoe for external flashes
+ Very attractive colours and tonality (Fuji Colours as some call them)
+ Choice of 1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9 aspect ratios
+ Full HD video 1920 x 1080 (30 fps) stereo sound, and some faster but much lower resolution modes. Video/Sound quality is pretty good, though not a stand out point of the camera

Not so great:
- Optical finder is bare just a view no information at all, though it does zoom as you change the focal length (at the wide end you can see the lens in the OVF)
- No built in ND filter, you might run out of shutter in bright light (stop the lens down a bit max shutter speed is 1/1000 second wide open to 1/4000s stopped down) some limitations to longer shutter speeds depending on the ISO level set (30 seconds is the longest)
- Can't change to RAW via the Q menu (though you can set it to the Fn button) very strange
- EV dial is quite stiff, though you won't change it by accident
- Fairly average battery life, around 250-270 shots (though you can use the optical finder which will increase it a lot) Get a spare at least one NP-50
- Continuous AF central point only (just like the X-S1)
- Main menu, whilst workable is only split into 2 tabs (and some settings are not obvious which one they are in) Fortunately you won't need to visit them often
- Manual focus fairly slow (rotate the back dial to focus) you do get a distance scale and magnify option, but it requires quite a few turns to move the focus of some use for macro work, but could be better

Notes:
In this bundle you DO get the filter/hood adapter, this was initially an add on item (and fairly pricey at that) it's included in the box allowing you to fit 52mm filters (or 58mm ones to the add on hood part which is threaded)
The supplied lens cap is metal with a felt lining, it's classy but possibly not practical (you can buy a 52mm lens cap or look at the auto opening lens caps for the X10)

The strap is a "pleather" variety quite narrow it does the job ok (I'd prefer fabric though this is quite stiff)

Raw buffer is about 6 shots (not huge) but adequate for a compact, you can get about 15/16 shots in high speed shooting at 6mp jpeg.

Firmware 2.0
This changed the function of the RAW button to a "Quick menu" where you can scroll though options and quickly set WB, ISO, Image style, Dynamic range, etc. This avoids diving into the main menu (most of the time) They also added some more "Advanced Filters" such as toy camera, miniature etc etc.

Orbs:
Addressed during production the phenomenon was a sensor issue where hard edges on highlights were present in lower ISO shots. I saw no problems on my unit (serial begins 23), if you have an early X10 contact Fuji as they will fix this for no charge.

Optical viewfinder: No parallax correction (mostly an issue for close up photos where this is a problem) In some modes you can turn the rear LCD off entirely (but not manual, aperture, shutter etc) I would suggest using P mode, set your Auto ISO limit to what you require and DR setting. The OVF is surprisingly usable despite the lack of information (the X20 addressed this)

AF & Metering: I found both mostly satisfactory, AF is usually on target with reasonably fast speeds (X20 is faster) Metering is fairly consistent though might need some adjustment in harder lighting and can be a bit aggressive in low light (you also have bracketing too) White balance is good in normal shooting, though can require some intervention for low light levels and can be a bit cool in cloudy conditions on AWB (you have extensive WB options here including Kelvins)

**EXR notes**: (Fuji do a poor job of explaining this)
In EXR mode (on the dial) only jpegs can be shot (and you have limited control no exp comp), DR 800/1600 are available. HR shoots full resolution, SNR combines the dual pixel layout to 6mp images with lower noise, and DR is the dynamic range option (which exposes both sets of sensor photo sites at different exposures)

You can use the EXR sensor in other modes (any other mode), set the camera to 6mp and DR400 (this is the max DR and a good setting) You can also shoot 6mp raw files.
If you have the camera set to 12mp and use the DR function at 200%, the ISO increases to ISO 200, and to ISO 400 for DR400%, this does improve DR at the expense of some noise.

**Image Quality**
12mp shots did show higher resolution, but less DR than 6mp photos. Experiment with both to see what suits certain shooting conditions.
Raw files had good latitude and raw support has improved a lot (esp ACR) 6mp Raw files have excellent dynamic range and good processing scope esp low ISO ones.

Jpeg files were good (I set noise reduction to -2) and held details well even at ISO 1600 (raw files had extra DR in the highlights) ISO 3200 is usable with care, but print output will be reduced.

Images are not DSLR quality, but they are well above normal compacts with smaller sensors (this shares the same sensor as the Fuji XS-1). The camera is capable of very good images backed up with a strong lens. But have realistic expectations too. OIS and a fast lens help greatly for low light shooting, this is a camera that makes a great side kick or day out camera if you want to leave your bigger camera at home this is the ideal choice for you. It's not small for a compact (RX100 is def smaller) but you get the OVF and it's far easier to carry around than a bigger DSLR.

The X10 has had some work done to it by Fuji with firmware, and quirks and warts aside you have a very capable slightly flawed gem (the X20 has improved things in quite a few areas, though it has it's own issues and a different type of sensor) For the original asking price I can see some holes to pick. However at the new super low price, including the hood/filter adapter you get a lot for your money. A solid build camera, a very usable and handy optical viewfinder, and excellent sharp lens and a sensor that is capable of good images.

****Update 13/08/14 (review score changed to 4 stars to reflect a potential QC problem)****

I've been using the X10 for a few weeks all was going well until I noticed quite a bit of "dust" or metal particles inside the lens under the front element and on the internal elements. Some of the particles look metallic but some look like dust.

The camera has only been used in a normal environment (ie not a dusty one) I've read reports about this but assumed the issue might have been fixed, apparently not though (serial number 24M which is a later production model) I will be contacting Fujifilm to see what their response is on this problem, but I am quite concerned after such a short time that particles can turn up inside the lens. I will update the review further after I have spoken to Fuji's customer support.

Update 08/12/14

Eventually got the problems resolved it would appear I was unlucky and got a ropey X10 (hence the problems with particles in the lens. Credit to Fuji for stepping up to the plate after many delays and finding a satisfactory solution

Update:

After trying the X20 (which offers some improvements on the X10 in many ways mostly refined handling and additional settings) I didn't get along with the new sensor and much prefer the X10 EXR sensor, this is because the dynamic range is excellent (really in a class of it's own for this size of sensor and rivals APS-C offerings) I sold the X20 and continue to use the X10. The OVF overlay on the X20 is very good and welcomed but the sensor output wasn't to my taste (dynamic range wasn't as good as the X10's)

Review score updated to 5 stars even though the X10 has weaker areas, the images continue to impress and the unique sensor has significant advantages over rival offerings in this segment.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a backup for your DSLR, 25 Nov. 2011
Mark Lamb "Mark Lamb" (Scarborough, England) - See all my reviews
In the past I have had various Lumix models, latterly the LX3 which have been pressed into service as a pocketable camera in situations where my D3 and Nikkors are inappropriate. The LX3 did the job, but I always felt I was getting second best, generally ending up wishing that I had taken the Nikon gear when I came up against a `real' situation. After getting the X10 as a replacement for the LX3 I no longer have this feeling! I recently took a two week road trip along route 66 and took the exceptional step of leaving my trusty Nikons behind, having been impressed by the X10's performance. This was the X10's first trial, and it delivered admirably. When I go walkabout with the (full frame) Nikon gear I usually carry a 14-28, 24-70 and a 105 macro, and with the exception of the wide end the X10 covers this well (and is a stop faster at 28mm). There were a few occasions when I missed the super-wide, until I discovered the panorama feature on the X10 was actually usable (!) and then found myself becoming addicted to it. Macro is also great. Handling is superb, obviously you need to beware of parallax error when using the optical viewfinder and it's a non-starter with macro, but we accept this - that's why you also have a digital display. I could go on, but instead I'll give a list of pros and cons:

Pros
Fast lens, great quality, 12mp more than enough for this type of camera
Very good performance in low light
Menus easy to understand (when the wife saw it she made me buy her one as well, and helped suggest these summary points).
Battery life reasonable, Consider also that you can get four `no name' extra ones on eBay for around £24, and these work just as well as the manufacturer's battery. These fit nicely in the Think Tank `PeeWee PPR' (hey, I didn't think up the name, OK?) with enough room for three memory cards as well.
Handles beautifully, and fits in a medium size pocket
Shooting modes easy to change (i.e. getting into macro in a couple of clicks)
Video quality great
Panoramic facility is very usable, especially as a `wide' replacement.
Bright, clear rear screen
Viewfinder clear, and much to my surprise even usable with spectacles!
Focus is fast
Works even after dunking it in a fishpond...
Retro chic looks fab (but that's purely a personal opinion)

Cons
Slight corner shading at 28mm setting
Switching on with the zoom ring means you have to take the lens cap off, even if you only want to review pix. Overall I'd prefer a real on/off switch
Ridiculous price for lenshood (sixty quid for a lump of metal?)
Don't seem to be able to turn the focus confirmation beep off without also turning of the shutter sound.

In summary, I spent two weeks with this camera, shooting just over 2000 frames in the process and didn't once wonder if I would have been better off lugging the Nikons around. I never felt unwelcome attention focused upon me (as one often does when shooting a pro DSLR) - quite the reverse in fact, people hardly seemed to notice it, which is just how it should be. The shutter sound (you can turn it off) also has a lovely little `snick' - just like a Leica but quieter!!!
And as Douglas Adams once said, here's the summary of the summary:

Buy one, you won't regret it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome camera, 21 April 2012
This is the best point and shoot I have ever had (and I've had a lot of them). The styling is fantastic, the handling is superb, the image quality is staggering for a camera with a 2/3rds sensor, the number of options is bewildering if you want to play with them, but Auto options are simple if you don't.

This camera is ideal if you want a good quality camera that takes great shots but you don't want to know how it does it. It's ideal if you want to have more control and set all those good things like ISO, aperture, shutter speed etc. It's ideal as a travel camera.

I have a DSLR for serious work but it is just too big to lug around everywhere. My Fuji X10 is ideal - it isn't pocket sized (well unless you're Hagrid) but it does slip into a coat pocket or a small bag / rucksack. The camera oozes class - literally oozes it and you want to continually pick it up and play with it. People stop and coo at it. The quality is excellent too - it is rugged and robust.

Many people report white orbs in images - I can say that they have not been a problem for me at all. I have hardly ever noticed them. On the occasions when I have 1) they are tiny and I have had to go hunting for them and 2) you can re-take the image with a different ISO or mode and I've always found they disappear.

Brilliant camera - top marks to Fuji.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little camera, 29 May 2012
J Baker (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
I just purchased this last week as my second camera but have totally fallen in love with it. It is very well built and works exceptionally well. It can produce wonderfully shallow depth of field shots from it's fast lens and has an array of excellent features.

After purchasing I read up about the Orb issues and was initially concerned so I did many tests in situations which should produce orbs and have been unable to reproduce them. Either this is an intermittent issue, occurs very rarely or the news sensors are already making their way into new cameras. In any case I feel reassured that should it become a problem Fuji have agreed to replace the sensors in all faulty X10 cameras.

The only issues with the camera are how easily the LCD display scratches, I got some small scratches on the first day of use, being used to the Canon screens on their top end DSLRs I had always thoughts screen protectors a waste of time, however they are essential with this camera. I purchased these and didn't have issues with bubbles or alignment: 6 IN 1 PACK CLEAR LCD SCREEN PROTECTORS FOR FUJIFILM FINEPIX X10 - 3 LAYER ANTI-SCRATCH DISPLAY SAVERS

If you are looking for a leather case I highly recommend the BV & Jo case that is 1/2 the cost of the Fuji one and very high quality: 2 Parts Hard Leather Case for Fuji FujiFilm Finepix X10 digital Camera (Brown)

I would have also liked the battery to last a little longer, again I may just have high expectations, however this really isn't an issue as you can pick up Energiser replacements from about £4.

Overall an excellent little camera that takes amazing shots, with lots of creative freedom, small enough to take everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you need a good compact digital camera, 8 Oct. 2014
Warbeck (Isle of Man,British Isles.) - See all my reviews
If you need a good compact digital camera,for sensible money - buy one! Okay,so the really expert user might find a minor fault,but i`d guess the average amateur shutterbug would be hard pushed to find it. I know the "white orb" syndrome" has been mentioned - it apparently occurring around shots taken in the dark,and around streetlights for example - but personally I don`t lurk around at night with a camera to find out,and the camera did have updates during production,so it may not be a problem anyway.
Otherwise the performance is excellent I`ve found,with great images - but do read the manual tho,or at least those bits pertaining to your type of picture taking. Just look at the price of the current model too,the X-30 - are you really going to get such an improved model that it justifies your extra huge expenditure? Finally,the camera is beautifully made from real metal,and not plastic - and has an optical viewfinder - so far superior for shots in very bright sunlight,or fast moving subjects.

5.0 out of 5 stars After one year of use., 9 Sept. 2012
I have now been hammering my first X10 for getting on for a year. It has become the camera of choice for much of my photography and is now backed up by a second copy bought in April. It is reliable and is fun to use and has produced some excellent photos in that time. The OVF is not as good as the X100, however, it is far better than most if not all of its competition.

As for globes - I think I have found one photo with a globe on it - no camera is perfect, and some costing far more have bigger hassles.

The biggest compliment for it is that having prepared a bag with slr and lenses yesterday I decided it was all too much and grabbed the X10 instead. Part of this is down to the e.r. case which is an excellent way of protecting it without taking up space.

I use it a lot indoors for available light shots, which work well for me.

No camera is right for everybody, but this has seen off a Panasonic LX5, Oly XZ-1 and others after much side by side use.

5.0 out of 5 stars A CRACKING LITTLE CAMERA FOR EVERYDAY USE, 8 Aug. 2014
After getting a bit fed up with carting my Nikon DSLR kit around, I decided I wanted to try a smaller but good quality digital camera. I still use film cameras, so was immediately taken with the styling of this little beauty as it is somewhat reminiscent of the rangefinder cameras of yore. I won't bore anyone to death with specs of the X10, as they are readily available at dpreview.com. I will, however, tell you that this camera, although small, is a joy to use. It has a certain solidity about it that inspires confidence and is very, very easy to use, even for the Luddites among us. I do recommend getting one of the after market cases (costs about a tenner as opposed to Fuji's forty-fifty quid model) and a 40mm UV filter (I bought the Marumi one). The X10 eats batteries, but you can easily buy a couple of spares for a fiver each from Amazon. All in all, highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Camera - if you forget the instruction manual, 11 Oct. 2012
Ivan Strahan (Co. Down, N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
I would have given the Fuji X10 a top rating, but it is not without some annoying little problems which, thankfully, can be worked around.

Lets start with the reasons to own this camera. Firstly, the image quality is simply stunning and this, after all, is the most important aspect of any camera. To me the images look uncannily like transparencies on Fuji film and you can take your pick from Provia, Velvia and Astia. There is a strange 3-dimensional quality to them and the camera is exceptionally good at picking the best settings, if you simply leave it to it.

Secondly the handling is very satisfying. The camera is beautifully built and feels just right in the hands - not too small to be fiddly and not too large to be a chore to carry around all day, in the coat pocket if need be.

It is when you first take the camera out of the box that you meet the first problem - the strap seems to have been designed by a sadist. Fuji even have to supply a special tool to attach it to the camera and it seems cheap and feels intrusive on the hands at the side of the camera. My advice is to throw it away and fit a Leica 14312 strap - perhaps the most perfectly designed strap ever. They can be picked up easily on eBay.

But a bigger problem comes when you try to consult the instruction manual. It is a perfect example of how not to write an instruction booklet. Many of the sections are so obscure as to be opaque. For example, try figuring out from the manual how to set the C1 and C2 functions. Using the manual is not helped by the fact that, while there is a contents list, there is no index. A reference book without an index - can you believe it!

The basic menu system in the camera is actually quite intuitive. It is even easier after you install the latest firmware version 2.00, which converts the RAW button to access an excellent Quick Menu. This brings up most of the parameters you are likely to need to change on a regular basis. In contrast to the manual, Fuji's on-screen instructions for upgrading are a model of clarity.

So your best plan of action is to put the manual aside and just play with the camera. For finding some of the more esoteric functions, I would suggest an MI5 training course in code-breaking before diving into the deeper recesses of the manual. I have ordered Alexander White's idiot guide to the X10 from Amazon to serve as a reference.

My X10 arrived from Amazon in perfect condition, with none of the dust-in-lens problem reported by others. Also no "white orbs", so presumably it has the new sensor. I have encountered none of the problems reported by some reviewers in converting from RAW to jpeg in Adobe Camera Raw either.

So, to sum up: if you want a small, beautifully built camera with great image quality and one which feels just right in the hand, this is the one to go for. But be prepared to buy a better strap and be aware that the 2.00 firmware upgrade is essential to preserving your sanity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice small camera, easy to carry around all the time. Great pictures., 27 May 2012
Nice small camera, easy to carry around all the time. Great pictures. Hasn't yet hit the white orbs myself.

Pros:
- great colours (one of the main reasons why I chose this camera is good AWB)
- very good image quality
- decently small
- movies recorded look very good
- audio recorded in movie mode is very good (although my base of comparison is Panasonic FZ5 back in 2005 or phones more recently)
- has a good amount of buttons

Cons:
- starting to shoot a movie causes the camera to focus slightly closer and then focus back but still slightly closer than it should which makes shooting macro movies a nightmare, for other movies it's a slight annoyance as the movie starts focused for a second, then defocuses, and then focuses again
- sometimes camera doesn't power on when you rotate the zoom ring so you have to power off and on again
- feels a bit sluggish compared to my 6 year old SLR (Pentax K100D)
- lens prone to fingerprints
- camera's display is a bit too vivid compared to anything else so pictures look vibrant and then on your computer duller
- Fuji's DR mode settings are confusing (although I already knew that before purchasing)
- short battery life