4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant easy to read story with potential to grow
Published on 1 Sept. 2011 by A. Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Wand Maker's Debate
Not bad. Plot good but writing not so good. However, I think the author has potential and I would read more of his work.
Published on 15 May 2013 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant easy to read story with potential to grow, 1 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Wand-Maker's Debate (Osric's Wand, Book One) (Osric's Wand series 1) (Kindle Edition)
I read this book today in several hours and initially found it a little hard on the reading. The authors do a great job of describing the scene, but perhaps the descriptions are a little *too* in depth, as an avid reader sometimes I like to imagine structures and scenes using my own imagination and I found constantly changing my own interpretation in my mind to fit the descriptions supplied exhausting ... But I digress ...

I love how the book is pitched to appeal to a varied range of ages, this book could be read to children or read by an adult and would offend no-one, a hint of a love story mixed in with dragons, talking animals and magic? Who wouldn't enjoy it???

The story, whilst unique has a CS Lewis type feel to it. I don't mean in the religious connotations sense, I mean in the strong use of descriptive language and the way the story is told. As a first attempt both authors should feel very proud of their work.

I can only see their storytelling and editing skills improving, there are a few errors in the story, but nothing memorable.

I look forward to reading more about Osric, the maid of Unicorn and Gus.

For note though, the name Kenneth really grated on me and I didn't feel that it suited the fantasy style story.

A solid 4 stars, this is worth anyone's money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good. Highly Recommended., 19 Dec. 2012
Book Review: Osric's Wand - The Wand-Maker's Debate by Jack D Albrecht Jr & Ashley Delay
Reviewed by J Bryden Lloyd

Writing Style - 4.5/5.0 (Excellent)
Albrecht and Delay are certainly a couple of authors to keep an eye on. The smooth structure and the flowing narrative work to augment the scene building and characters brilliantly. I was pleasantly surprised that the dialogue was not thrown into the archetypal olde-worldy English that seems to haunt this genre from time to time. Instead, although considered, the dialogue felt free and light and worked well.
I equally liked the way the characters were drawn to `feel' different. A mark of careful and thought-out writing.
Occasionally I felt the descriptive felt restricted by the narrative, making the characters far more important than their surroundings, but this did not detract from the read.

Character Development - 4.0/5.0 (Very Good)
If I were to blinker my observations slightly, the characters were very creative, intelligently thought-out and very, very nicely placed and brought together.
Gus and Pebble are a refreshing surprise within the dynamic of the group, and Osric and Kenneth are typical of the genre, in that it is they who provide both the subject of the central storyline, and the majority of the responsibility within it, regarding the travel and protection of the group.
From the outset, the fantasy genre is stamped onto the piece, with animals and races of beings (both real and mythical) joining together - not just with their own realms and environs, but also with the ability to openly communicate across the species. For me, this was perhaps the only `issue' I had with the non-human elements within the tale, as it seemed that no translation was ever required.
Don't get me wrong, the fact that there is not the complication of translation, etc, makes this a potentially nicer and more flowing book, but it seemed a little presumptuous to me.
For the last of the human members of the group, Brigitte (although seemingly a necessary participant in the adventure) provided very little to the events that could not have been garnered elsewhere; with her real key contributions to the whole plot occurring towards the end. As such, I felt she was not afforded the opportunity to develop, other than as a potential love-interest for the besotted Osric.

Descriptive - 4.5/5.0 (Excellent)
As with the best of fantasy works, there is a feast of descriptive in this book. The vast and complex world-building of Archana is carefully constructed about realistic characters, with real lives and possibilities.
Once we get into the story it feels as though a small town in a woodland region, suddenly becomes a huge multi-dimensional stage for the characters to work on. Admittedly, it is when things are building up to some form of event that the descriptive seems to take a back seat. Not vanish exactly, but suddenly become a lower priority. I have to assume this is intended to divert the reader towards the key elements as the varied sub-plots reveal them, and this does work, but it was something I noticed and felt it worthy of mention.
Beyond this, locations and creatures are both striking and vivid and draw the reader in beautifully, while the action scenes are nicely simple, but very deliberate and effective.

Language & Grammar - 4.5/5.0 (Excellent)
The editing is spotless. The readability of this book is truly excellent, and but for the occasional assumption by the authors that the reader knew what certain types of mythical vegetation were, this would have been a solid 5-out-of-5.
The language selection is both considered and uncomplicated. Perhaps not to the liking of those readers who expect authors to challenge them with wildly obscure vocabulary, but definitely good enough and placing it firmly within the abilities of younger teens as well as adults for entertainment.

Plot -4.5/5.0 (Excellent) - MINOR SPOILERS
There is a lot going on in here. First we have the Cortege of the Vigiles (effectively the Commander of the Defence Force) who has a `gift' alerting him to danger. His introduction leads us into the central plot and creates the basis for several of the sub-plots involving the other characters that fall into place around him.
It is a superb opening to an excellent tale, though I have to say, we are never given any inkling for the attendance of the Unicorns at the beginning. Whatever their significance was is quickly swallowed by more `pressing' sub-plots, however, in the next instant, the spitting se'er adds yet another `frowning' moment.
Okay, the latter event does serve a specific purpose, though the following revelation when they stop to rest for the night is very predictable. This is in no way detrimental to the story, and actually serves to introduce a character who clearly can `see' far more than he is initially given credit for.
Osric would appear to have the ability to absorb the magical gifts of those around him as he comes into contact with him, but it struck me as frustrating that none of them could see this... Perhaps I am wrong, as it is never confirmed, but that is what I ascertained from the story.
The sudden change in mission, taking them to the volcano, moves the story in a completely new direction, and as we leave he characters at the end of this part, it seems a far more complex continuation is on the cards.

General - 4.5/5.0 (Excellent)
Harry Potter, Lord Of The Rings, Narnia... If you have the remotest level of enjoyment from these stories, Osric's Wand will definitely be one for you.
Yes, I have picked at a handful of, what I would consider, to be loose threads in the work, but really this is one of those I definitely enjoyed and would wholeheartedly recommend.

On entertainment alone, this is a five-star read, and even with my pickiness, I would still rate it very highly.
5 it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable story, left me craving for more at the end, 5 Nov. 2011
I read this book but I finished it in a few hours, so I thought it was a bit short but it didn't bother me that much. I wanted to know more about Osric and the other characters and the world Archana they exist in. Besides that I found the story fascinating and the way the writers have managed to create this unique and imaginative world, The characters captured me with their humour and the way they had conflict but still got along, like Osric and Gus. And the potential romance they've included in the story between Osric and Bridgett.

I was disapointed to reach the end of the book because I wanted to know more so I can't wait for the next book. This one was worth the price I paid for so I'm keeping my eyes open for the next book.

Cheers

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical!, 19 Jun. 2012
I am not an avid reader of fantasy, as I don't think many authors can capture the imagination and take me to their world. This however, is very different and one I am happy to have stumbled across. The world they describe is remarkable and the way they approach magic to my surprise is very innovative. The first few chapters are very descriptive but you can feel the bulk of the story coming and once your over that it really does capture you. The author's of this book are extremely creative so I can't wait for what they have up their sleeves for the sequel, which I eagerly await!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wand maker, 19 May 2013
Realy enjoyed this book. Was little bit slow to start. Looking forward to the next instalment . Hopefully it will continue to grip my attention.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wand Maker's Debate, 15 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars one day read, 11 Oct. 2014
I read this in one day, I just could not put it down, thoroughly engrossing yet light an absolute pleasure of a read

3.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 26 Oct. 2013
Was unsure when first started the book but it turned out to be fairly good. Will def read next one.