on 19 May 2012
I first saw this when living in Africa about 35 or more years ago. Loved it then, and after much searching I've finally managed to get a copy through Amazon, the only people I know who seem to find anything I want from a cat feeding bowl to my newest 'toy' my kindle! Was I disappointed? Not at all. I've since shown it to my Grandson of 25 years and he thoroughly enjoyed it. The company that Amazon found was from Thailand, and they too were very quick. Couldn't do this review earlier as our phones and broadband were off for 2 weeks due to storm damage.
on 27 June 2014
I haven't seen this film in over 35 years. It was always on at Christmas or Easter, and clips of it were always being shown in compilation programmes (these were the days, of course, even before video cassettes!) and I distinctly remember that it was due to be shown on TV one day and I completely forgot and went out. And then I remembered....... and spent the next 35 years trying to find it again. And I found it and was so happy - and it is every bit as wonderful as I remember it being all those years ago. Yes, it is deliberately mawkish in some places and yes the prose is often very purple, and yes, your emotions are manipulated by the images and music, and yes, there are some obviously manufactured scenes, but who cares? Its probably the best wildlife film ever made and is as fresh and entertaining as the day it was made. It compares extremely favourably with modern wildlife programmes - the research is just as good, the narrative just as entertaining and educational. And then, of course, there is the justly famous scene where the animals eat fermented fruit and get drunk. 35 years later and it still makes me roar with laughter and I watched it twice through in one sitting.
on 7 November 2012
Although this was not exactly the same as the film I remember seeing many years ago, it was very similar. The photography was superb and it was extremely funny. I would recommend this DVD to any nature lover. We all need a good laugh these days.
on 3 February 2013
This documentary is extremely funny and very well put together, It shows a side of the animal kingdom rarely seen by people who have not spent time in Africa. The commentary is excellent and adds so much to the total enjoyment.
on 18 August 2013
Saw a snippet of this somewhere recently, so checked Amazon (US) and there it was -- the version with a white cover with giraffe, elephant and tiger. Warner Bros has brought this out of their archives, updating it to play in English or French, with subtitles in English, French and Spanish. I just finished viewing it -- video and audio are both first-rate.
Warner Bros has quite an extensive "manufactured on demand" catalogue of old movies, TV shows, cartoons, etc. Check WarnerArchive.com or wbShop.com, but WB does not ship internationally. However, Amazon does offer quite a few of these MOD titles -- check out both the US and UK sites for whatever interests you.
Good to know (1) Amazon's standard return policy applies, and (2) ALL OF THESE MOD DVDs ARE REGION-FREE NTSC.
on 24 November 2013
A different view for a documentary of African wildlife. Both the comment and the angle of filming is timed perfectly with the rythm and the story in the classic added music. I was inspired to Google and try purchaising this item due to an older friend of of mine. She remembered it from the 70ths as an fantastic funny movie. She had indeed right. Me and my family ( two boys age4, and 9 and housband) we laughed until our stomacs hurt. The kids do not understand English, but laughed anyway. i one thing could have been different I would say subtitle and Language in Norwegian, but it is not relly necessary.
on 17 April 2013
I had always wanted to get a copy of this film after seeing it at a friends house back in the late 70's but then I had forgotten all about it until 1 day I was looking through the D.V.D's and then it came back to me, I typed in the name and hey presto there it was, I was overjoyed about finding it, it's definitely one of the best written documentaries I have ever watched, it gets it's message across with levity and comedy both in abundance.

Very enjoyable indeed, I was surprised at how quickly I got it too, I ordered it on the 18th march and was told it will take 4 weeks to get it, 10 days later it's in my letter box just in time for my birthday, thanks again amazon, very prompted service, I am well impressed.
on 30 December 2013
So nice to watch a wildlife documentary concentrating on the funnier and nicer side of animal life in particular when the animals became drunk from eating a certain fruit it was hilarious.
on 5 October 2014
I saw Jamie Uys' film in RSA in the 70s under the title of "Beautiful People" and loved it.

This is a spoof animal documentary with all the humour contained in the commentary and accompanying music..- not quite David Attenborough somehow- ;-)

It is funny and at time, quite sad but is worth watching for the animals if nothing else..
on 2 November 2013
As I have lived in South Africa many years ago this film is just so realistic, always loved any firm made by this chap Jamie Uyis he is a wonder can make you see things about animals you never noticed with compassion and humour hight recommend any of his films