5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful monitor
Published 15 months ago by J. Rolfe

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible screen.
The build quality of this Dell monitor is fantastic, but the screen suffers from insane light bleed, the bottom right corner looks like someone is shining at torch at it! The colour isn't great, compared to my other Eizo Flexscan this monitor isn't brilliant.

Published 3 months ago by Mr. Chris J. Popely

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful monitor, 8 April 2013
J. Rolfe (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:10, 1920x1200, 300 cd/m2) (Personal Computers)
This only arrived today and it is sitting side by side to a 24" iMac with the same resolution... the Dell monitor is a lot better. This maybe because the mac is getting a little older now, but the quality of the U2412M is fabulous. Nice even whites and blacks across the monitor, great build quality and easy to set up with a Win8 laptop as a second monitor. The standard colour profile was a bit wonky, but I colour calibrated it and it is spot on for photo editing etc. I don't know how this would compare to a higher price monitor, but I know what I like and I definitely like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 24 April 2013
I'm a gamer, programmer and I also occasionally watch films etc at my PC. Forget worrying about the deeper technical details here: if you're a graphics professional you'll be looking at a different price bracket entirely.

The quality of this display is, I'm sure, the best you can get for this money. Very low reflection, no visible ghosting that I can make out, and the colours and contrast are perfect. Plus, it's 19201200, which in this age of the wide screen boom is very refreshing, not just for games, but also when I have to switch h to programming mode.

A special mention should also be made of the stand and usb hub capability : you can rotate the screen through 90 degrees should you need, with a simple cable management solution ensuring that you don't rip out your connectors as you do so (assuming you have slack of course!). And the hub is perfect for your wireless mouse receiver, xbox 360 dangle, phone or memory stick needs.

No dead pixels to report, and I'm sure this screen will be on my desk for the next 3 years at least.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superior Colour to TN, 31 Mar 2013
Andrew Ballard (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
Basically monitor choice can be divided between superior colour/image quality in IPS or superior fluidity with 60/120/144/etc TN panels. As a gamer/multimedia user with no interest in 3d at all I chose image and colour quality of the dell ultrasharp and do not regret it, as you're only going to be getting much over 60fps with an expensive dual card setup if you like to crank settings to max, and the colours/quality of a TN is going to be *nowhere near* this. Not recommended for solid FPS gamers however as a sole monitor, even a good 60Hz TN is visibly faster and smoother if you're prone to noticing these things.

It's also 1200 pixels vertically, none of that 1080 malarky, much nicer for a PC screen.

With large screens viewing angle is also important, TN just are not suitable for larger upclose displays, they look hideous with weird colour shifts all over the place. IPS monitors like this dell have hugely reduced issues here to the point I don't notice it.

The build quality is excellent, the menus very easy to use, connectivity decent (a nifty USB hub but no HDMI, easily solved with an adapter), the stand is fantastic and the monitor has a VESA mount capability. Reasonably thin bezels too, useful if desired.

Only 4 stars because mine has 2 dead pixels near the edges (now named Tyler and Marla), very hard, even impossible to notice most of the time but still taking a star away, it's a 200 monitor afterall, not some cheap tat. Yes I could send it back, but getting upset over such a tiny thing just isn't cricket.

4.0 out of 5 stars good value, 1 Mar 2013
It's a great value monitor. Wanderful colors and most notably is 16:10 which is a black swan in those days where the monitor market is plagued by those terrible cinema screens. I wander why general consumers doesn't just buy a tv + xbox instead of ruining the pc world. Anyway that said ofc this dell is not a perfect monitor. Be warned that there are eveident backlight bleedings in almost each one of those guys (just google it). Mine is no exception. Fortunately for me it's acceptable. Maybe a little more that what I wanted on the bottom left angle, but not enough to bother for getting a replacement. Also because frequently this results in obtaining an even worse screen. So... look at you wallet. If you are on a budget I'd say this one is your guy. But if money is not a concern just go on something more expensive and more qualitative because this screen is far from perfect. Your call.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible screen., 21 Mar 2014

I plan to return it and purchase another Flexscan as they are far and away superior to this cheap Dell monitor.

*Edit* Shame, it's a decent looking monitor, It has put me off buying Dell again, I didn't want to take the chance of getting another dud so I bought two BenQ BL2411PT to go along with my Eizo photo editing monitor, which seem far superior to the Dell I had bought, both suffer from a little IPS glow but nothing I can't deal with (It's also worth noting the BenQ colour calibration was much better than the Dell).

Maybe if Dell had better QC I'd be using two Dell U2412's along with my Eizo, even my dog could have seen that this monitor had crazy light bleed, I'm not just being a picky customer.

Maybe it's a lottery with these monitors, maybe I got the 1 in 1000 dud, either way, I'm happy with my two BenQ monitors. I can only rate on my experience, and it's not been a great one! =)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Monitor, 2 Feb 2014
N. Boldra (UK) - See all my reviews
Well worth the money if you insist on a proper resolution for a 24 inch monitor, 1920x1024 just isn't suitable, excellent build with some great features, recommended if you don't mind paying a little more for the higher resolution instead of this HD standard nonsense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 5 July 2013
This monitor is great, lots of adjustment and swivels into portrait (good for staring at code) also one of the few monitors that are 16:10.

4.0 out of 5 stars good monitor for the price, 10 Jun 2013
I bought this to go with a new Mac Mini. I went for 24 inch as I like a large screen but should have stuck with 21 inch as 24 is too big unless you sit quite far back from it.
The monitor works very well. Setup takes not time and configuring it to work with my mac was quick and easy.

Build quality is very good as is the adjustability of the stand. You can spin the screen round into portrait mode and it tilts and swivels very easily. It also looks good on the desk, although not quite in the league of the very best designs out there.

Picture quality is excellent with auto setting working well. Overall a very good quality product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grey Import, 6 Nov 2013
Buyer Beware. These are not bought officially from Dell and are often supplied with Turkish printed warantees that are not recognised in the UK. Despite my having a 20 minute (documented) on-line chat precisely regarding this what do I get - a great monitor at first look but with no support from Dell.

Go somewhere else and pay a bit more and get a proper 3 year Dell warantee. Do not under any circumstances use Amazon.

I will be reporting this matter to the Trading Standards Office.

Dell UltraSharp U2412M inch Monitor

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality control problems impair what is sometimes fantastic, 1 July 2013
I bought this monitor after returniong one from another supplier due to a stuck pixel. This one had no stuck pixels, but the quility of the product was much worse overall. Ridiculous levels of not just IPS glow, but also very severe backlight bleeding from three of four corners. The bezel was not flush with the back of the monitor either. Overall, it felt poorly assembled in comparison.

While in theory this monitor is great, my faith in Dell's quality control is shaken - I wouldn't recommend the lottery process you seem to have to go through to get a good one. Poor show, Dell.