5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning
I'm a gamer, programmer and I also occasionally watch films etc at my PC. Forget worrying about the deeper technical details here: if you're a graphics professional you'll be looking at a different price bracket entirely.

Published 16 months ago by LordZoltan

3.0 out of 5 stars Be wary of a warm tint
Published 2 months ago by Thomas English

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:10, 1920x1200, 300 cd/m2) (Personal Computers)

The quality of this display is, I'm sure, the best you can get for this money. Very low reflection, no visible ghosting that I can make out, and the colours and contrast are perfect. Plus, it's 19201200, which in this age of the wide screen boom is very refreshing, not just for games, but also when I have to switch h to programming mode.

A special mention should also be made of the stand and usb hub capability : you can rotate the screen through 90 degrees should you need, with a simple cable management solution ensuring that you don't rip out your connectors as you do so (assuming you have slack of course!). And the hub is perfect for your wireless mouse receiver, xbox 360 dangle, phone or memory stick needs.

No dead pixels to report, and I'm sure this screen will be on my desk for the next 3 years at least.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful monitor, 8 April 2013
J. Rolfe (UK) - See all my reviews
This only arrived today and it is sitting side by side to a 24" iMac with the same resolution... the Dell monitor is a lot better. This maybe because the mac is getting a little older now, but the quality of the U2412M is fabulous. Nice even whites and blacks across the monitor, great build quality and easy to set up with a Win8 laptop as a second monitor. The standard colour profile was a bit wonky, but I colour calibrated it and it is spot on for photo editing etc. I don't know how this would compare to a higher price monitor, but I know what I like and I definitely like this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superior Colour to TN, 31 Mar 2013
Andrew Ballard (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
Basically monitor choice can be divided between superior colour/image quality in IPS or superior fluidity with 60/120/144/etc TN panels. As a gamer/multimedia user with no interest in 3d at all I chose image and colour quality of the dell ultrasharp and do not regret it, as you're only going to be getting much over 60fps with an expensive dual card setup if you like to crank settings to max, and the colours/quality of a TN is going to be *nowhere near* this. Not recommended for solid FPS gamers however as a sole monitor, even a good 60Hz TN is visibly faster and smoother if you're prone to noticing these things.

It's also 1200 pixels vertically, none of that 1080 malarky, much nicer for a PC screen.

With large screens viewing angle is also important, TN just are not suitable for larger upclose displays, they look hideous with weird colour shifts all over the place. IPS monitors like this dell have hugely reduced issues here to the point I don't notice it.

The build quality is excellent, the menus very easy to use, connectivity decent (a nifty USB hub but no HDMI, easily solved with an adapter), the stand is fantastic and the monitor has a VESA mount capability. Reasonably thin bezels too, useful if desired.

Only 4 stars because mine has 2 dead pixels near the edges (now named Tyler and Marla), very hard, even impossible to notice most of the time but still taking a star away, it's a 200 monitor afterall, not some cheap tat. Yes I could send it back, but getting upset over such a tiny thing just isn't cricket.

4.0 out of 5 stars good value, 1 Mar 2013
It's a great value monitor. Wanderful colors and most notably is 16:10 which is a black swan in those days where the monitor market is plagued by those terrible cinema screens. I wander why general consumers doesn't just buy a tv + xbox instead of ruining the pc world. Anyway that said ofc this dell is not a perfect monitor. Be warned that there are eveident backlight bleedings in almost each one of those guys (just google it). Mine is no exception. Fortunately for me it's acceptable. Maybe a little more that what I wanted on the bottom left angle, but not enough to bother for getting a replacement. Also because frequently this results in obtaining an even worse screen. So... look at you wallet. If you are on a budget I'd say this one is your guy. But if money is not a concern just go on something more expensive and more qualitative because this screen is far from perfect. Your call.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitly extra sharp, 6 May 2014
Mr. Robert Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
I had for many years a 19 Dell Monitor which was fully adjustable and incorporated a hub. I decided to upgrade to a 24 inch monitor and first chose an Acer because of the price and good feedback. Fair enough it was a good monitor although not adjustable and no hub. I also found the screen was very bright and had to turn the brightness down so I sold it at a small loss. I had my eye on this 24 inch Dell monitor and although more expensive had all the features of my earlier Dell monitor with the 24 inch size in a better proportion as it was not as wide but a bit higher than the Acer. The picture is sharp and clear but does not glare so have been able to leave it in its default settings. I intend to keep it for many years as I am sure there is none better for the price on the market. Definitely worth 5 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Be wary of a warm tint, 30 Jun 2014
I bought two of these monitors from Amazon and they arrived today. Unfortunately one of the monitors has a much warmer tint to it which makes the monitor appear as though f.lux is running on it. This would probably not be a problem in most circumstances (i.e. single display), but with the two monitors next to each other the colour difference is just too high to cope with. I have tried connecting them to different PCs, using different cables and changing the colour settings on both the monitor and my PC but it has been impossible to get them to match satisfactorily.

That said, the monitor that does not suffer from the warm tint is perfect, and I will happily give a 5* review if the one that is due to arrive tomorrow does not have any problems.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its ok for the money but nothing special., 20 May 2014
Its an ok monitor, does what it says on the tin. I have had problems attaching it to one of my laptops, but it works on my main laptop. The colours don't look that vibrant and its not very stylish but I knew that before I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one, 2 May 2014
If you want a monitor for graphic design or print-production work then this is the one.

The colour accuracy is astonishing, as it comes, out of the box, and without further calibration.

Text is razor sharp.

Photographic images are uncannily vibrant.

The format is entirely functional (not just for widescreen movies).

And the value is exceptional.

And of course, it has a matte finish, otherwise I wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole.

4.0 out of 5 stars High-quality monitor for a very affordable price, 14 Aug 2014
Purchased this as a replacement for a 23'' Aluminium Apple Cinema Display after reading copious reviews online (TFT Central; FlatPanelsHD etc.). It delivers in all the respects I was hoping it would: improved black level at 120cd/m^2 (0.117 vs. 0.20); improved sRGB coverage (97% vs. 90%); improved colour accuracy (peak deltaE 3.46; mean deltaE ~1.5 vs. I can't remember, but not as good); equal or better responsiveness; 4 USB2.0 ports vs 2 USB2.0 ports; improved connectivity (DP & DVI-D vs DVI-D); greatly reduced power consumption; and a vastly more adjustable stand.

The only place in which it falls slightly is in the presence of slightly more noticeable IPS glow in the corners, which also has a blue tint as opposed to the ACD's yellow. But then, it may be more noticeable simply because the black levels are so much better.

I should note this was for a Rev. A00 produced in January 2014, purchased for 187 as an Amazon Warehouse deal. I have no hesitations in recommending it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Monitor, 2 Feb 2014
N. Boldra (UK) - See all my reviews
Well worth the money if you insist on a proper resolution for a 24 inch monitor, 1920x1024 just isn't suitable, excellent build with some great features, recommended if you don't mind paying a little more for the higher resolution instead of this HD standard nonsense.