on 25 March 2015
Great product, the husband was pleased! :)
on 18 February 2012
I was looking at getting a Phillips when this came up on sale (actually at Boots for less than £8 with a supposedly original price of £50-odd). My wife did the cutting but the first go was not great and I noticed my hair went dry and powdery. Trying to pull out a few stragglers later on, the hair was snapping. What happened was that the machine abraded the hair without cutting it and that is why it went dry, weak and dusty. We were trying to do 12mm all over (#4 I believe) and it was nothing like as short as it should have been. Oh well, the machine had paid for itself and maybe we would get better at it.
A few weeks later we tried again but it was barely cutting at all. Oil did not help and when it was being used the motor was clearly slowing down as it was pushed through the hair, even on the mains cable.
After a quick shower, a few minutes later I was at my usual barbers making apologies and asking for a "rescue cut". Old lesson learned: if they can sell something at full price they will; if it's on offer it's because it is rubbish. It's in the bin but I kept the gift case, which makes quite a nice wash bag that would cost about £8 anyway.
I might take a look at another one day, maybe a Phillips or Wahl but for now I will stick with the pros.
Is this the same Remington as the gun makers? Pass me a 12 bore and put this thing on a clay trap...