5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful
An enjoyable and honest insight into what it takes to be a writer - "only a few of us are going to be willing to break our own hearts by trading in the living beauty of imagination for the stark disappointment of words."
Published 19 months ago by Juliet Platt

Please let me be clear - this review does not reflect what I think of Anne Patchett's writing (which I love). I bought the book not realising that its content is very similar to part of "This is the Story of a Happy Marriage" - this volume seems like an excerpt of the larger volume. Wonderful writing, but if you've read the larger book, you may have deja vu...
Published 10 months ago by Kathleen A Todd

3.0 out of 5 stars Great writing, but very similar to "This is the Story of a Happy Marriage", 3 April 2014
This review is from: The Getaway Car (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)

(Note to Ms. Patchett's publishers, should they read these reviews. Please publish Bel Canto for Kindle!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 10 July 2013
Juliet Platt (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and inspiring, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Getaway Car (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
I'm a huge Ann Patchett fan and as an aspiring writer of fiction found this a really encouraging and useful book - yes, says Patchett, it is hard work, even for her. Good to know. Read this in one sitting and will read it again if I get lost in a mess of words and wondering what happened to all that 'inspiration'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential advice for new writers, 6 May 2013
This review is from: The Getaway Car (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
An essay on the struggle to get started, The Getaway Car succinctly sums up the essential rules for would-be novel writers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Write book. Wrong title., 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Getaway Car (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
A refreshingly honest account of what writing really means to an author... but I almost skipped past it because I thought it was a short crime story! Would suggest a subtitle to make the contents clearer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for would-be writers, 8 Nov. 2012
Rhona Murfin - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Getaway Car (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Anyone who has read and admired Ann Patchett's novels will enjoy this, but for anyone who wants to write fiction it is required reading. It tracks her somewhat erratic route to becoming a successful novelist. Learning by trial and error, she leaves no doubt of how difficult, rigorous and relentless that path is. She also offers some very pertinent rules of what the job - and make no mistake it is a job - entails.

Beautifully and entertainingly written and full of wisdom.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 14 Nov. 2014
I love this book! As a writer I feel at home reading this. It is a must for any young writer starting out. Patchett is candid and shares with the reader what an arduous task it is to set out on the rocky road to being accepted for publication. This will be one of those memoirs that I will read again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Descriptive account of her progress from ideas to published novels, 22 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Getaway Car (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
This little book is not only beautifully written but a great help in both demystifying and inspiring the writing process. Well worth a read, though I suspect those who write will enjoy it more. I love the way she writes and have been a fan since the early 90's, it was fascinating to be given an inside look into how her books come into being as well as learning some useful tips.

3.0 out of 5 stars No Getaway No Car, 21 Nov. 2013
El Massri "elmas" (Alexandria , Egypt) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Getaway Car (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
This is really a 'how to write and publish' tutorial . It is informative and full of tips from the author's personal experience. but there is no Getaway Car or even a mention of a story or novel by that name . I gave it three stars because I benefited from reading about the inside information about writers and writing .

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating short autobiography that will encourage would-be writers to follow her path, 27 Oct. 2013
Debbie Young "Debbie Young" (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Getaway Car (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
A fellow writer recommended this short book to me, which otherwise I doubt I'd have found, and I'm really glad he did.

It's a frank, honest, generous and open backward look by a bestselling novelist of her writer's journey, sharing lots of first-hand advice that she has learned along the way.

Although she offers advice, she also makes it clear that there are many ways for a writer to work, and so she doesn't come across as prescriptive or superior at all.

Highly recommended.

The Getaway Car (Kindle Single)
Out of stock