5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!
The whole of this series (the farseer trilogy) is excellent, you'd be hardput to review one book on it's own. Ok, it's been a while since I read this book, but I loved every moment of it, and I just wanted it to keep going!

Published on 26 Jun 2009 by Larewen Evenstar

2.0 out of 5 stars The first book was far better, this just drags
I have never read a book that was as slow as this.

Whilst the first book deals with the growing up of a young boy into a young man, learning to controls his Skill, Wit as well as his new craft of assassin, he deals with love and the politics of court and the dangers of the Red Ships.

This could have been an excellent book. This should have been an...
Published 11 months ago by Lucy Lou

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 26 Jun 2009

Hobb's descriptions are perfect, she never over describes or underdescribes anything. The book is not littered with unneccisary dialogue, description or text, everything that is said or done is done for a reason, be it progressing the story or developing characters.

Fitz is a character who will remain with me forever, I have fallen in love with him, and from early on in the first book (assassin's apprentice) he became my favourite literary character. You grow up with fitz, knowing him from when he is a small, nervous boy to when he becomes a strong, intelligent and wonderful man. He is not perfect, as all good heroes should, he has his flaws, but to be honest, they just made me love him even more. He is so well developed, that if you aren't careful, he starts taking over your mind (maybe that's just me...)

I can't just talk about fitz though, all the characters are wonderful, each developed brilliantly and expertly, even Nighteyes, who, as a wolf, you'd expect not to have much to say, or not play a big part, but this story wouldn't be the same without him, his quirky ways, and his interaction with Fitz is brilliant! He teaches him the simple life of a wolf, allowing fitz to see things with new eyes, he scolds him when even he can see what has been done is wrong, and he encourages him and keeps him going even when it looks like all is lost.

With such memorable characters like the Fool, Kettricken, nighteyes, fitz and many, many more, you'd be silly not to read this series.

The storyline itself is great, it doesn't move too slowly or too quickly, allowing you to absorb each event in turn.

I can't say much more about this book, other than, i wish i could give it more than 5 stars! Just read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A complex, layered, and highly enjoyable read., 15 July 1999
By A Customer
Having read the first in trilogy, "Assassins Apprentice" I approached this with some trepidation, middle books in trilogies usually being somewhat flat, merely building to the climax in the last novel. However, I need not have worried. Throughout the novel is well written in elegant prose, the pace is extremely good. Although it is a much longer book than the first, the length is not superfluous, Robin Hobb was not merely trying to write a long book for the sake of it, but needed to. The snapshot of a corrupt, intrigue entangled court is superb, and trying to sort out this web of betrayal is a major pleasure. The twists and turns are always well done, and contain moments when you knash your teeth in despair and want to scream at the characters. The air of tension in the novel is as good as many a thriller I have read.
Most of all, the characters are compelling, with the strong King-in-Waiting Verity, a good man on the verge of despair, the implacable Burrich and so on. All the characters seem to have layers, few of the major characters - with the possible exception of Prince Regal. Fitz, the central character is in the true mold of a modern Fantasy hero, a normal person forced into high events and is throughout a character it is easy to sympathise with.
The book touches on many issues - love, honour, duty, betrayal - and deals well with them, without being superficial or trite.
The only major gripe in this otherwise excellent novel is the slight feeling of smallness, of a very limited world. This is not a major problem, however, as the world Robin Hobb has created is rich enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faster than my legs could carry me!, 3 May 2005
Firstly...I am not going to give away one single shred of the story or indeed character developments that continue into this, the gripping second book in the Farseer Trilogy, because I have no doubt that would make me the most hated follower of this magnificent series.
When I came to the end of this book I ran (and I mean RAN) to my local bookstore to lay my hands on the final instalment of the story of Fitz, the Fool, Molly, Chade, Verity and each and every one of the many more characters brilliantly brought to life by Hobb. I ran not only because it was 4.40pm, the bookstore would be closing and I was in imminent danger of waiting days, or maybe even weeks to discover all that would follow in this utterly engaging character driven and magical, fantasy, adventure drama, but also because even minutes being left in the dark after the cliff-hanger that brings to a close 'Royal Assassin' seemed like a fate worse than death.
So, whatever you do, don't buy 'Royal Assassin' without also purchasing 'Assassin's Quest', or at least having a darn good contingency plan should you find yourself at the end of this book without the conclusion to the trilogy...you've been warned! I only wish I was being clever and exaggerating, but it's the absolute truth- the finale is breath-taking, so ignore my advice at your peril dear readers!!

2.0 out of 5 stars The first book was far better, this just drags, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Royal Assassin (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I have never read a book that was as slow as this.

This could have been an excellent book. This should have been an excellent book. This should have been far better than the first. This should have been exciting and full of drama. Instead it's full of padding and musings, meanderings and wonderings. I was bored reading it, gratefully skipping pages of boring thoughts that only served to plunge the story into treacle.

The author should have aced this series based upon the excellent first book, instead she shot the story and the worls she has expertly created in the foot. Albeit very, very slowly and very ponderously the story limps along with page after page after page after page of musings and relentless ponderings.

Shame, it could have been brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars - unputdownable!, 21 April 2001
By A Customer
I'd read Robin's "LiveShip Traders" trilogy and enjoyed that, as well as the first in this trilogy: Assassin's Apprentice. So I was very pleased to find that this book was even better.
Sure, some of the characters can be frustrating at times - just like people are in real life! And I found myself feeling for the Fool, whose wit at times is quite brilliant.
The plot twists and turns, with plenty of intrigue and surprises around each corner. And yes, you know *the* tragedy is coming - it's unavoidable and there's nothing you can do about it. But that just makes it even more painful in some ways, and adds to the depth of the narrative.
Overall then, I found it an excellent and gripping story - well recommended by this reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars The trials and tribulations of the Fitz, 21 Aug 2005
Sally-Anne "mynameissally" (Leicestershire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Book 2 of the Farseer trilogy continues Fitz's life of trouble and strife, pain and suffering, torment and injustice. It's a great tribute to Robin Hobb's writing and story telling skills that she can make you want to read a tale that's so full of loss and misery. The trick is that her characters are alive, with depth of personality. The villains are irredeemably wicked so that the reader is frustrated with impotence at not being able to get in there and sort them out, give them what they deserve. But the heroes are far from perfect: they have foibles and faults that we can all relate to and forgive, their intentions are good but they make mistakes, misunderstand situations, get their priorities wrong, go off on ego trips - just as most of us would in their situation. Their mistakes often have dire consequences and they have to pay dearly when that happens. Fitz is young and impulsive and he sometimes rails against the constraints his elders place upon him. His rebellious spirit makes it difficult for his mentors and allies to plot a straight course through the political mire. Where there was a single path that led to possible disaster, there are now multiple possibilities. As The Fool foresaw, Fitz generates alternatives.
The characters in this trilogy have invaded my sleep, in more ways than one. The books keep me awake far into the early hours, reading when I should be sleeping and then, when I do eventually turn out the light, the world of the Farseers sidles into my dreams. Stories don't get much more real and powerful than that. I recommend these books to anyone who enjoys fantasy - but with one proviso: don't expect a happy ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Thrilling Read From A Brilliant Author, 30 Oct 2004
The character FitzChivalry is one of the fantasy genres greatest creations. The emotions and feelings he has affect the reader in every way. Each peak and trough of his life seems important. Even in displays of stupidity and selfishness we cant help but feel sorry for him. We can never really feel that much empathy towards him, purley because of how hard things get for him.
So, the second book has a lot to live up to. Can Robin Hobb keep us as attentive as she did in the first? The answer is yes, for the main part. The story follows on well without speeding ahead and leaving the reader behind. The characters are just as complex and alive as always. Yet i personally feel that this is not as good as the other two books in the series. I only say that as one of them has to be, and it's more to do with the turn of unfortunate results in the plot, rather than the writing style etc.
I fully recomend this book to all Hobb and fantasy fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 18 May 2004
By A Customer
I have been an avid fantasy genre reader for many years and Hobb's Farseer trilogy is by far one of the best series I have read. The level of depth to the characters and utter immersion in the text is unparalleled, although the end of the trilogy leaves u feeling a little bit let down, Hobb rectifys this with her further 2 trilogys, the Liveship traders set in a different corner of the world, and then the Foll series which brings both trilogys together. Masterful storytelling and an excellent read... a must buy for anyone whether you like fantasy or not.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull and depressing, 11 May 2012
P. M. Egan (Tamworth) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed the first book and the manner it was written; ok - you could write the story on the back of a beer mat - but nether the less it was a great read. Consequently, I am surprised this second book is such a let down.
It is extremely boring; the main character spends all his time being kicked from pillar to post and sees fit to do nothing about it. The story itself could be written on the back of a small postage stamp, so full credit to the author if she was paid by the word. The most annoying aspects are the side plots going nowhere, continuous repetition of previous parts of the story and characters who react in a totally unbelievable way. Even the royal family seem content with being indecisive, stupid and kicked like a stray dog page after page.
I know this is a fantasy, but surely that should not stop it from being realistic. Is the final book going to be any better?

2.0 out of 5 stars Hints of brilliance, but delivers too much tragedy, 3 May 2012
First of all, I must say that I *loved* the first book; you have young Fitz starting off from his difficult roots and then growing and making a name for himself. You can see there is lots of room for the series to grow early on, with both types of magic introduced, his assassin training etc etc, it ends fairly well too.

What annoyed me about this book is that the first few chapters are all about rewriting the original ending of book 1. Suddenly, all the things written at the end of that book *didn't happen*, Fitz's recovery (trying my best to not give too much away here) is all drawn out; it all just seemed to hop from one disaster (for Fitz) to another. Whenever he got himself out of one situation, he'd end up in a worse situation AD NAUSEAM!

Imagine this never-ending circle spanning an entire book! GAH! Imagine about twelve pages of decent story diluted by 300+ pages of bad or slightly awkward things happening to the main character. Again, GAHHH!

As you may guess I found it *really* hard to read (I rocketed through the first book in days, this took WEEKS - I was fighting to put it DOWN, not pick it up!), simply because there were not enough high points in the story to cling to. It was written in such an insidious way that it always seems to hint at something truly brilliant hiding around the corner... This is sadly what kept me reading (or enduring) it for so long. However, instead of rewarding me with what I would class as a high (for example, a bad character getting his just deserts), Fitz is just plunged into a continuing swirl of tragedy and hardship with no reprieve.

Now, this is okay the first couple of times, but NOT for the ENTIRE book! It makes me want to scream because, although I really wanted to put the book down and forget about the whole series, I simply had to keep reading because I felt as though I was somehow going to be rewarded for reading such a tirade of angst and sorrow. (So much for karma, eh?)

I am probably going to flip a coin to decide if I should read the third book (maybe something good will happen?), or just give up and read a synopsis so I don't waste my life wincing through all the awkward not-meant-to-be love scenes. I really don't know if I could put myself through this again...

I realise that more people love the series than hate it; it has SO much potential, but this book was an utter chore to read for me. I would actually rather watch the news - it would be more cheery.