5.0 out of 5 stars excellent little album, your mum might like it
i didn't really get into muse when they first came out although i liked their singles, but i thought this was a vital purchase, and it was. it's not at all indi music like coldplay, and only nods towards rdiohead in bits but not as much as showbiz could have. i love the prog-rock influences like King Crimson because it makes prog cool again. muse don't care about being...
Published on 20 Jun 2001 by shed_monster@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars get showbiz instead
Had this for a while yet i still find myself much prefering the more indieness of 'showbiz'. Despite this 'origin of symmetry' has some cracking tracks but you soon get bored and just wish the lead singer would take a break from 'screeching' all the time.
Still good though, just not as good as 'showbiz'
Published on 16 Jan 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars My favorite of the three, 7 Jan 2004
This review is from: Origin of Symmetry (Audio CD)
I find it strange that I am reviewing OoS now, considering I bought the album (on MD) about a year ago. I only since I recently bought absolution that I went back to this album and realised how great it is! The daringness of this album is what really hits me, tracks like screenager and the more *unusual* tracks on this ablum make me appreciate Muse more for the fact that they're not afraid to try something different, something which is not seen of many bands today.
Quick run down on the tracks:
New Born:
The first Muse track I ever heard, and it pulled me in straight away. Great guitar and keyboard licks. One for the mainstream rock fans. Great vocals by Matt in this ones, display his talent with out going too over the top.
Bliss:
It took me while to get into this track, not so sure if should have been realeased as a single. It still oozes talent, fantastic great sweeping keyboard arpeggios, and a gorgeous bass sound from Chris.
Space Dementia:
I love the opening to this! I am a fan of classical piano anyway so I would, but still the way it hits in with the big minor chords, with Matts voice slowly creeping into the first vocal, bloody great! Interesting effect on the chorus, with a slow phase put on Matts voice, not sure if i like it or not sure, but definately different.
Hyper Music:
Fat guitar stuff is great, hence why this is great! Great drumming track. One of my Favorite vocal lines, great sound that hits you as he gets higher in pitch.
Plug in Baby:
The track that made me start playing the guitar! A good track for people new to muse, not my favorite anymore probably because I've played it too much. Great guitar licks, no wonder it was released as a single, definately a rocker-friendly track.
Citezen Erazed:
I can imagine the idea behind this track was, put everything we can into it and see if it works. and it does. From the great harmonics and fat bass riff at the beginning, to the slow and more sombre chorus at the end, this has to be my absolute favorite Muse track. It doesn't ever take you away, its always changing its mood, effects and emotion. Awesome!
Microcuts:
This is the ultimate like it or hate it piece. I'm still not sure now where I sit with it. Matts voice is completely falsetto throughout this piece, giving a completely operatic sound (although sometimes its hard to make out the actully words from the notes). Definately a step in the 'try something different' slot, I'm getting to like more every time. Guitar riffs at the end are to die for!
Screenager:
I love this, gorgeous minor+maj7 chords for the musical out there. Acoustic guitar is a nice break from the distortion on the other tracks. Great lyrics, gorgeous chord progressions and a nice use of latin percussion. Definately one of my favorites.
Darkshines:
A lot of people dismiss this track as a mediocre track, randomly enough I love it. Large array of different guitar/keyboard solos, ranging from the distortion guitar to start with, brass keyboard, and beatiful highly reverbed acoustic guitar. My favorite vocal piece, the last couple of choruses are soo full of emotion, Matts near enough shouting with anguish toward the end, love it.
Feeling Good:
Classic, I really liked the original Nina Simone version before I even heard of Muse, this just takes a fantastic twist on it, its almost cheesy really, you can imagine one of the mjust playing it for a joke at rehearsal, then realising what a good idea it might be!
Meglomania:
Another try something different slot, with the church organ entering halfway through the end. I hardly get to listen to this track being the last, as I'm usually listening on train journey etc. The journeys over before the disc! I still like it, even though its been neglected by me, just love the organ!
right, down to the point, I love this album, since buying absolution, this hasn't left my minidisc player. definately a buy and listen to a couple of times before I like ablum though.
9/10 from me, go on buy it, if will willing to hear something different you won't be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Origin of Symmetry, 13 Aug 2002
This review is from: Origin of Symmetry (Audio CD)
Origin of Symmetry is one of the best albums i have heard for a long time.It combines catchy riffs with outstanding vocal ability and alot of musical talent, and the result is spectacular. It starts off with new born,a brilliant song, perfect for introducing muse's sound to first time listeners. When you delve deeper in the album, you discover some brilliant tunes, such as the explosive hypermusic, the jerky Plug in Baby, the mix and match manner of Citizen erased(the best song in my opinion)and the dark(appropriatly titled)dark shines.Unfortunatly, Screenager is the only low point on the album(for me anyway)slowing the pace of such a spectacular album. The cover of Nina Simones 'Feeling good'is wonderfully done, and does indeed make you feel good, and megalomania is a grand climax towards the end, finihing off the album beautifully. This mix of songs sets them apart from every1 else, including Radiohead, who they have been compared to constantly since the release of showbiz.You must own this album.

3.0 out of 5 stars get showbiz instead, 16 Jan 2002
This review is from: Origin of Symmetry (Audio CD)
Still good though, just not as good as 'showbiz'

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding!, 10 Nov 2001
This review is from: Origin of Symmetry (Audio CD)
Passion, venom, tenderness - it's all here on the album of the year! This is the album that got me excited about rock music again - just when I thought any originality in rock had died out with the 'grunge' movement, Muse blast through my speakers and leave me pleasantly stunned. Searing guitars and pounding drums with vocals that are nothing short of exquisite. Operatic in scale, as accesible as pop but most definitely ROCK. This is a must-buy for any music fan. Superb!

5.0 out of 5 stars Arise Sir Matt, truely you are the new hope, 29 Oct 2001
This review is from: Origin of Symmetry (Audio CD)
With the current trend of rock music seeming to be greasey Americans playing power chords and screaming alot, its nice to see soemthing thats a bit artistic and is played be excellent musicians. When I say 'a bit artistic' its a bit of an undetstatement, this album screams class, charm and (above all) intelligence.
Matt Bellamy is without doubt the best thing in British music at the moment, eclipsing people like Mark Greaney of JJ72. He shows us quite astonishing guitar and piano playing (have you ever tried playing the tremelo bits on 'New Born'?) but it's done with taste and decency and never decends into self-indulgent solo epics (well once or twice maybe). This is complemented by some excellent drum and bass work (curtosey of Dom and Chris) Which allows Matt to concentrate on his singing.
I like all the songs but my favourite track on the album is 'Citizen Erased' just cos the music in it is mental. 'Micro Cuts' can get a bit annoying with its falsetto screaming but has a really cool guitar part at the end to save the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Triumph of a Second album, 31 Dec 2004
T. Mansell "Mansellto" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Origin of Symmetry (Audio CD)
Second albums, so often the downfall of a fledgling band with 'potential'. Not here. After the moderate success of 'Showbiz', it might have been tempting to try and replicate what people liked about there debut LP, but with Origin of Symmetry Muse have really moved on to where they should have been with their debut.
The first thing to note is the production, somewhat uninspiring on Showbiz (betraying the quality of some of the songs - see them live if you want proof), Origin is a truly fulfilling album. No longer being produced to sound like 'The Bends', Origin has the gain turned up high in an explosion of rock riffs and distorted guitars. 'New Born' is a fantastic opening track that threatens to set too high a bench mark for the rest of the album, but not so. Other stand out tracks are Plug in Baby (featuring a riff that will surely be remembered alongside rocks greatest), Citizen Erased (a brilliantly diverse track that is so fluid that you don't realise its been playing for over 7 minutes)and Micro Cuts (an aquired taste maybe, but Matt Bellamy's vocals are truly mesmerizing as they get stronger with the zeniths of each falsetto chorus and a dirty riff to finish).
The song writing (as is true of all of Muse's albums) is not what makes these tracks work - the musicianship on this album is of real high standard. And don't be fooled by anyone that tells you that Muse is the Matt Bellamy show - Dom Howard on drums and bassist Chris Wolstenholme truly shine in this three piece that is definately more than the sum of its parts.
This one is definatelty recommended. One for riff-lovers and rock listeners that want to hear something not just original but unique.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Daddy., 16 Nov 2006
This review is from: Origin of Symmetry (Audio CD)
It's a double-edged sword, this album. It's fantastic that people have listened to the later albums, Black Holes & Revelations and Absolution and then come and bought this one. But it's also quite sad that they have listened to this one after those two, because, quite simply, this album will always be The Daddy.

Showcasing Muse's best tracks ever, it takes you on a breathless rollercoaster ride of smashing chords, racing guitar strings and penetrating swoops of lyric and voice that all adds up, quite honestly, to perhaps the best rock/alternative album of the 00's. Listening to it all after hearing the over-aweing BH&R, it may seem a little contrite and jarring. In this case, you would indeed have to work to hear the genius, see the seeds that were sown and appreciate every single track as another work of art on the path to greatness, and that is why I say it is a little sad.

But whatever you've listened to and whatever you've heard, you cannot fail to just downright ENJOY such audio feasts as 'New Born', 'Plug In Baby' and 'Hyper Music'. These are songs to make you jump around like you just don't give a damn. The cover of 'Feeling Good' is one of the best covers ever made, and 'Citizen Erased' and 'Bliss' are justifiably two of the most memorable Muse tracks ever - not just for their eloquent lyrics and completely differing moods, but also for how much they will speak to you, and you alone.

And that's the genius of this album - no matter the tone, the beat, the pitch of THAT voice, each and every song has something to say to each and every person who listens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Amusing, 2 Sep 2001
This review is from: Origin of Symmetry (Audio CD)
Close your eyes. Now try to imagine guitar work that sounds as good as anything by Jimi Hendrix. Add to that a screaming lead singer who never misses a note, belting out some of the most angst-ridden (and strangest) lyrics you've heard in a while. That's pretty much what this album sounds like.
I took a bit of a chance buying their first album "Showbiz" as I hadn't heard their stuff before. I was not disappointed. (And if I'm really honest the only reason why I bought it was because I thought the vocalist looked a little bit like Wolverine out of the recent X-men film.). "Showbiz" got me hooked and I wanted more. However, of the two albums "Origin of Symmetry" is the better.
Muse's music is stylised and is instantly recognisable but the album still retains a good deal of variety. "Screenager" is fairly slow and melancholy; "New Born" is more of a slow build up while "Plug in Baby" is solid rock. My personal favourites are "Hyper Music", "Bliss" and "Citizen Erased". The opening for "Hyper Music" is an absolute killer.
This album however, also has a quality that it is hard to define. There is something about this album that makes it so much greater than the some of its parts. The best way I can describe it is that each of the songs seem to become alive, learn to walk and go their own way. This album has such verve, that when you're listening, it makes you feel alive.
This album is great. I loved it. I even liked the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Their finest hour, 13 Oct 2006
Ray Blake (Hemel Hempstead, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Origin of Symmetry (Audio CD)
Big, brash, almost impossibly grandiose, this album is the quintessential Muse. More recent toning down of their sound has brought them critical acclaim and a growing following, but real Muse fans will keep coming back to this one.

The apreggios, falsetto vocals, and the total, full-on crescendos that dominate this album showcase an awesome musical virtuosity unbothered by contemporary notions of what is cool or tasteful. Like Radiohead, they pioneered 21st century Prog Rock, and this is where they did it best.

5.0 out of 5 stars buy it. now., 23 July 2003
This review is from: Origin of Symmetry (Audio CD)
WAHHHHHHHHHHH! this album is the most amazing collection of songs ever to grace the planet earth. trust me - buy it now, crank it up and listen to it untill your ears bleed - it is that good. nuff said.

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›