5.0 out of 5 stars Beginner's SmartPhone
Published on 13 Jan 2012 by Brian Andrews

I decided to buy the htc Explorer as a cheap option to join the world of android phones as my budget was pretty tight. Overall I think that it is a great phone to have, and don't let me put you off getting one, but here are the few issues I have had with the phone:

Published on 21 Jan 2012 by Oliver Lockwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginner's SmartPhone, 13 Jan 2012
This review is from: HTC Explorer Sim Free Smartphone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
This 'phone was bought for my wife (Happy Christmas!), who has many great abilities; 'embracing technology' however not currently being one of them. That said, I wanted her to be able to have many of the facilities she enjoys on her PC at home whilst on the move, as well as making her normal 'phoning and texting easier than on her existing ('but I know how to use this one') ancient Nokia. A real challenge!

As is standard with HTC, the Explorer runs Android with their own superb 'HTC Sense' overlay. In most ways it is similar to my own HTC Sensation, but somewhat smaller (just 4" x 2" x 0.5") and with a very carefully reduced function set. It fits really snugly in the hand and has a delightfully textured case making it a joy just to hold. The designers have deliberately aimed at the beginner's market, with a simple main homescreen devoid of any Apps. Instead a simple column of five icons gives direct access to common functions such as Messages, Camera, etc., whilst two others at the bottom allow direct access to the 'phone function and to the Apps collection. There are another six homescreens, two of which are preconfigured for Email and Social Networks, so these funtions are also just a single stroke away, and there is plenty of room left for customisation, when the User feels up to it.

Of course there are necessary compromises (eg. size) but these have been really carefully thought through and implemented, resulting in a handy sized smartphone that is simple to operate, yet still reasonably fast and powerful. The designers need to be applauded. Also, possibly due to the smaller screen size, it manages a couple of days or more easily on a single charge, whereas most larger smartphones need charging daily.

Obviously it is not the world' best 'phone in terms of featureset, screen size or raw power, but what it does (which is most things) it does really well, and in an intuitive manner that is easy for a smartphone novice to quickly master. Let's face it, three weeks after Christmas and my wife is fully at ease with it. What greater compliment could HTC want?

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Decent Phone But Limited Use Of Apps/Downloads Please Read..., 21 Jan 2012

However, being a 17 year old teenager I was very disappointed with the internal memory of the phone which I did not really take into account before hand. Although I have a memory card for it, I soon came to find that most of the apps available on the market, certainly the most used such as Facebook, Twitter, BBC news ect. are all required to be stored on the internal memory, which, after software necessary for the phone to function is installed, only leaves around 90mb available for such apps. With some apps you are able to download them and move to the SD card but if you have already used your 90mb of internal memory then you can not download it in order to transfer it over. It is pretty sad that there is no option to save it to the external memory card when downloading apps.

I have also noted that because of this lack of storage, software updates for the actual phone can not be downloaded if your apps fill you internal memory. I have only had this phone for a month and already there has been 1 update for the software which is 25mb in size which leaves me wondering 'how many more will there be over the time I have this phone?'

One final thing is that because of the low spec 3mp camera BAR SCANNING apps to compare prices of items online do not work, or at least I have not found one on the market that has of yet. When buying the phone I thought that I would not need it as I don't regularly use cameras on the phone but now it seems Im missing out on apps which require high spec cameras or even forward facing cameras which this phone does not have.

4.0 out of 5 stars HTC Explorer, 4 Dec 2011
I take it theres a fault on Amazon. I doubt at this moment as I type I am honestly the first to review this item.

My first step towards android phones is the HTC Explorer.

Pretty impressed although I cant say ive much comparison knowledge to other androids. But starting with it as a newbie to the android world like me it seems a decent place to start. Easy enough to navigate but it will be trial and error at first as this phone does not come with a manual. I understand thats pretty standard in the modern age rightly or wrongly.

Nor does it come with headphones which is really not on as it does boast its MP3 player abilities. Asise from the fact the radio is unuseable without headphones acting as an antenna.

But the headphones are cheap (or free if you choose a friendly mobile hone shop)and it wont take long to get to grips with all the phones functions. MP3 player sounds good and loud to me (again no comparions)and the video player is easy to use. The phone will accept an SD card of anything up to 32GB which is a heck of a lot of music/videos. Compressing video files to mobile foramt are not reqired I use AVI so one can enjoy a really good quality picture on a screen that I think is just right. Not too big, not too small Just perfect for the pocket of what is a portable device after all

It does all other mobile phone expected functions so I wont go into detail.

Would just mention the three little niggles I have with this phone. I would mention though that the external speaker is pretty poor. This time I can compare, to my now redundant previous 6 year old Nokia phone that had a vastly superior external speaker than this newer HTC Explorer. Really is a frustrating let down for otherwise a pretty good product.

The radio reception is slightly weaker than I have been used to the last 6 years with an older mobile but only slightly.

And finally, and I find this odd, it has no external LED light. Sort of thing for battery recharge and text message/missed phone call alert. When its on recharge a battery image appears on the screen with a recharge percentage bar so the lack of an LED there is no biggie but to not know if a text message had come in whilst you were say out the room or the text came in whilst in your pocket muffled is going to be a pain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone, but only after a little tweaking, 18 May 2012
This is a good phone. For beginners who will only want a couple of apps, it is absolutely great the way it is. Great build quality, HTC's decent Sense interface for Android, access to the Play Store (i.e. Android Market), decent specs for the price.

For more advanced users who want more apps, you'll notice very quickly there isn't much space for storing said apps. But this can be remedied by "rooting" the phone and installing an app called "link2SD" which allows you to move all your apps to your SD card (not just some, as Android officially allows; also moves the entire app, the official method leaves some on internal storage). I now have over 60 apps installed and can install as many more as I want.

Once rooted, this phone is a great phone for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars htc explorer smartphone, 23 May 2012
This was billed as a good entry level smartphone, and as a complete dingbat with anything more technical than a pencil eraser, I would tend to agree.
I have big hands and am a bit clumsy but I have made great inroads into how to work this and have even figured out how to do emails and have also found the map and gps function really useful.
Currently entertaining myself by giving everyone their own ringtone... little things please little minds!
My wife reckoned it would be too complicated for me. So there we go, surprised me too.
If I broke it would I buy another explorer? yes I would, I like it (and it was 80 quid less than a certain high street catalogue store too)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good entry level smartphone, 29 Feb 2012
C. Wright - See all my reviews
I bought this phone a month ago having previously tried a friend's HTC Wildfire. The immediate difference is that the Explorer is quite a bit smaller, despite the usable screen size being the same. The rubberized backing makes it easier to hold, and the screen quality is good, with much better resolution than the old wildfire. Although it has an entry level processor, you're unlikely to see any sign of this unless you have particularly demanding apps. I have a dozen or so apps for social networking, news sites, and basic games and navigation remains responsive. With light use and having the gps and wireless switched off, the battery can last me a couple of days between charges. The ability to add a large micro-SD card (none included) means there can be plenty of space to store photos and music, although as others have mentioned, not all apps work well if installed on the SD card memory.

There are only a few areas where it shows its entry-level status:
The built-in memory isn't particularly generous.
The camera is only 3mp unlike its big brother the Wildfire S, and there is no flash. This isn't a great problem for me, although I've found that this means it has trouble scanning QR barcodes.
The phone doesn't have a built-in digital compass, despite several sites claiming it does. (The GPS works fine though.)
The radio is clear when first tuned, although I've found that the signal quality deteriorates after a few minutes so that you have to switch the radio off and on again. This may just be a problem with digital tuners though, as I have an MP3 player with the same problem.

Altogether a competent smartphone at a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars mobile, 22 April 2012
This is an excellent product and is in use daily. The ease of use is brilliant and the item was delivered on time and in great condition.

2.0 out of 5 stars i think i actually hate this phone, 23 Jan 2013
i bought this because i wanted a smart phone but didnt want to spend 300 on one and in that respect the explorer seemed like a good option, a few of my friends have a higher end htc's and they love them
my first serious problem is the internal memory, i thought this would be fine with an sd card unfortunately the explorer does not give you the options to save apps to the card and i havnt enough room on the phone to download the software i need.

the 2nd problem i have is the error message "force close" i see this at least 10 times a day and it drives me insane

no3 is that every now and then if you touch the screen to fast say if youre goin in and out of different things, the phone just shuts down and when it comes back on youve lost loads of stuff, photos, contacts, even the alarm clock function has just vanished

finally the biggest problem of all is that i didnt buy it on amazon, if i had there would be no problem returning it but i wanted to put the review on here so that anyone thinking of buying it is aware of the issues, i have ordered an xperia tipo which im told by a friend who works in o2, is the best option of the cheaper smart phones

5.0 out of 5 stars Rob, 24 Sep 2012
Very nice and handy little phone with very good grip even without the additional cover. I'm surprised it has been withdrawn from most of the places as an old phone. It's got android, fairly good speed, nice and responsive screen, very good battery life of approx. 2-3 days with normal usage and 5 days on mainly standby, very handy to write messages and very good range and conversations quality. To me it's still a very up-to-date phone. I have samsung galaxy s3 as well and it's a great phone, but the little htc is very joyful as an additional phone is fantastic. I use it for: phone calls, sms, emails and facebook. It is great for all these things.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good at the price, 24 Jan 2012
After my Galaxy Ace went the way of all flesh, I needed an android phone on a tight budget. The explorer is an absolutely OK product, not an excellent one, but good value. On the pro side, it's lightweight, good battery life, all the basic bits you need - bluetooth, WiFi, etc and can take a 32GB SD card. The camera, however, is a total waste of resources.
If you want a well-priced, easy to use smartphone for a newbie, this is it.
If you are lokking for anything more, forget the explorer and open your wallet quite a bit wider.
Right now I'm very happy with it!

HTC Explorer Sim Free Smartphone