4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable
I found this book slightly different to Rachel Hore's earlier novels which I have also read, I found that this one concentrated mostly on the story set in the past, with only a little bit of it about Lucy in the present day.
Published on 19 Sep 2011 by JM

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 24 Dec 2011 by Alison Hart

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 19 Sep 2011
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Gathering Storm (Paperback)
Lucy's father has recently died, and she discovers that he had been looking up an uncle she has never heard of. On holiday in Cornwall she visits her grandmother's childhood home Carlyon Manor, now a burnt out ruin, and meets an old woman named Beatrice who has an amazing connection to the family.
Most of the story is then told about Beatrice and her youth, from the time she met Lucy's grandmother's family as a child, through the horrors she experienced during the wartime years, and what happened afterwards.
Although the wartime years are not my favourite period in history to read about, I found this book was much better than some others I have read set in the same era. The job Beatrice does is far more interesting than the usual ones I have read about, and the author is to be admired for the vast amounts of research she must have done.
The story is quite sad at times, I certainly felt for Beatrice on a number of occasions, I was horrified by what she was put through at one time during the war, I won't say anymore as I don't want to give anything away but it did make me flinch.
I did guess early on what the connection to Lucy's father was going to be so the ending was of no great surprise, rather it was the journey which led to the ending that carried me along.
All in all a good read and I would recommend to fans of these dual time frame books in the vein of Kate Morton, Kathryn Webb etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one yet, 22 April 2012
This review is from: A Gathering Storm (Paperback)
Having read all of Rachel Hore's novels, I have found them patchy particularly in terms of plot. Sometimes it can feel like she hasn't entirely thought things through. Perhaps this is because I started with The Glassmaker's Daughter, one of her best so far; the rest have been disappointing.

With A Gathering Storm, though, she is back on top form. This is a riveting tale of strong women and the choices they are forced to make; of the ramifications of those choices that affect their whole lives, and the lives of their children. The author's style seems to have matured, especially in terms of her characterisation and scene-setting. The descriptions of wartime London, in particular, are fantastic. It is a gripping read that I would recommend to any fans of the genre.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Dec 2011
This review is from: A Gathering Storm (Paperback)
As others have said, this was an OK read, but nothing more. I found the characters somewhat two-dimensional and, at the end, was unsure as to whether my sympathy lay with Angie or Beatrice. the "secret" was obvious from about page 4 so I'd rather hoped for a twist later on! Surely the story could have been constructed differently to make this a "reveal" at the end. Wouldn't especially recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars (More) family secrets in wartime England..., 3 Mar 2012
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Gathering Storm (Paperback)
For me, this book was just good enough: it's not brilliant but, equally, isn't dire. It fits very securely into the genre of past/present stories where a modern woman learns about her family secrets through meeting an old woman at her father's childhood home.

The characters are all sketched in rather than fully-developed and the women, particularly, fulfil the clichés of good woman/bad woman.

At the centre of the story are Beatrice's exploits in France during the second world war but I have to say that this whole episode is treated fairly perfunctorily with little detail and no real sense of emotion. So the set pieces are there but I never felt any of it was done with any particular insight or excitement.

So, overall, for me this was an oddly passionless book: it served its purpose well as light reading on the tube but is fundamentally disposable and instantly forgettable.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasure to Read, 1 Nov 2011
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Gathering Storm (Paperback)
Rachel Hore's latest offering centres on the role of females ass SOE Agent in the Second World War. In present times Lucy, following her father's death, is investigating why he changed so much after the death of his mother in 2000.

The story is well written, centered far more in the past with the recounting of Beatrice's story of her early years at Calyon Manor through the war years as a young woman. Although the links between the two families involved isn't hard to guess at the story flows well and is the roles of women in the war clearly well researched. I didn't enjoy this as much as The Glass Painter's Daughter which is the best of her five novels, but the writing, the characterisation and the acknowledgement that what we read is one woman's version of the truth means that this book is still a good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars the gathering storm, Rachel Hore, 8 Mar 2012
This review is from: A Gathering Storm (Paperback)
Having just read this book over the week end, I thought I would post a little review. I admire Rachel Hoare as an author and have enjoyed most of her books so far, my fav being The Memory Garden. I was looking forward to this novel as I love the duel time frame theme especially if there are family secrets to uncover and skeletons in the preverbial closet....however...I have to say I found this one tedious! Sorry for those who have enjoyed it and I am writing this before I read any of the other reviews so I wont be swayed. After trawling through the first 100 or so pages and waiting for something to happen( working out the ending swiftly along the way) I found this novel hard work. I have never yet not finished reading a book but there was a lot of page skimming here and sighing as I struggled along! The story had so much potential; the character of Amelia for one thing. We get a skimpy outline of her and yet she could have been the star of the show. It didn't help that I felt no sympathy what so ever for Beatrice who, in my humble opinion should have been shot just for leaving her baby in the first place. I know, people will say but she had no choice, sorry, adventure and lust are the things which drove that one! My God, I am sounding like my Granny! Joking aside, I did try to like this and it wasnt all bad. The present day story of Lucy could have been interesting, had it been explored more. Do you know, I felt somehow that the whole book was the wrong way round. Secondary characters first and a twist at the end which wasnt obvious from page 12 and this would have been a winner. I hate writing reviews like this but this time this one didnt quite hit the mark for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting read., 28 April 2013
This review is from: A Gathering Storm (Kindle Edition)
Held me enthralled from beginning to end. An insight into the world of those brave young women who gave up everything for their country.

5.0 out of 5 stars Present, 26 Jan 2013
Mr. Dennis S. Roberts (Staines England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Gathering Storm (Paperback)
Purchased as a present for my wife. She said the story was excellent. Very difficult to add anything more to her comments.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gathering Storm, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: A Gathering Storm (Paperback)
Rachel Hore never fails to disappoint with her original storylines. I found this fascinating and could not put it down. Cannot wait for her next novel. Excellent research and very descriptive. Well up there with authors such as Barbara Erskine. If you enjoy mystery and atmosphere, this is the book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars A gathering storm, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: A Gathering Storm (Kindle Edition)
I like Rachel Hores books I am part way through this book and it is just as good as her other ones I have read.

A Gathering Storm