4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, but expensive
These headphones are practically faultless.

I was interested in seeing how they would work in my machine, especially as this is a new product and I am still plugging away on my old faithful XP Pro machine with SP3.

Published on 13 Feb. 2012 by southcoastreviewer

1.0 out of 5 stars Repeated fault involving complete loss of power - be warned!
Published 18 months ago by ALtheMAN

1.0 out of 5 stars Repeated fault involving complete loss of power - be warned!, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Creative Soundblaster Recon3D Omega Wireless Gaming Headset for PS4/PS3/Xbox 360/PC/MAC (Accessory)
I'm currently on my THIRD Creative Soundblaster Recon3d Omega Wireless Gaming Headset. The first one proved faulty - the USB receiver/transmitter failed to power-up after limited use (apparently a problem encountered by a significant number of others). It was well within the warranty period and Amazon.co.uk replaced it for me. The second one proved faulty in that the left ear cushion came away for no apparent reason and they are impossible to replace. Returned it to Creative and they have sent me a replacement product. Now, the 3rd set of headphones has the same problem as the first set - the complete loss of power.

I thought I would have to return this to Creative - and it is not cheap to do so! However, thank goodness Amazon.co.uk have agreed to take it back and issue a full refund. At least my faith in Amazon remains unshaken!

I really regret purchasing these headphones and I will probably never buy a Creative product again. The problem with these headphones is the same as with many products now - 'Made in China' often equals shoddy, cheap manufacturing which leads to problem after problem.

I've contacted Creative and have challenged them to restore my faith in their products. I'll let you know if I receive any worthwhile response.

In the meantime, take my advice - DON'T BUY IT!

UPDATE: Creative offered me a 10% discount off the headphones if I purchase from their website. They are charging more than Amazon, so 10% equals £8.98 discount. Considering I told them that I had to spend nearly £12.00 posting the second set of headphones back to them by Royal Mail, I'm not impressed. I'll still be out-of-pocket and have no faith in Creative products. I'm really not impressed with this and still remain very disappointed with the product. I'll have to try something else . . . . sigh!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, but expensive, 13 Feb. 2012
southcoastreviewer (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These headphones are practically faultless.

To be short, it plug and played with ease. The drivers were recognised, the audio settings configured themselves (which, to be fair, might have been annoying if I had any kind of surround sound setup installed). However, the control software that comes with these headphones does not work with XP. It can only be installed on Vista or above. Which is a smidge annoying.

That aside, the quality of the sound on these headphones is immensely good. I tested it listening to Hybrid, Beethoven, having a quick run around on Quake (yes, a machine with that on still) and Morrowind.

The range is also more than adequate - I managed to wander around 10 metres away before they finally packed in. Easily sufficient for purpose, unless you intend on playing your Xbox on a cinema screen. But then why on earth would you want a headset :)

The only con I can muster is the price.

Whilst the aesthetic of the set is fantastic - cool matte black, lightweight for all their size, and cool blue LEDs - the sound quality is still on a par with the Sennheiser X320 Gaming Headset for XBox 360 and these are, at time of writing, less than half of the price. Fair enough these are wireless, but more than twice the price is a high premium to pay for a relatively small perk if you are simply going to game in the comfort of your own room.

Definitely get them - but perhaps wait for the price to drop below £200.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great headset but poor build qualiy, 15 Mar. 2014
Lets cut to the pros and cons as that's all that you guys need to hear:

Pros.

Sounds great, the 50mm drivers that emulate the full 3d sound are perfect (yes it emulates 3d, but the sound processor box that comes with the headset is powerful enough to do it amazingly well)
Feels comfortable and hugs your head when you first get them.
Works on PC perfectly (never tried xbox or ps3 but I assume works great too)
Mic picks up just perfect and sounds good.
THX mode makes movies and music sound great!

Cons.

Most importantly build quality:
SB claims its "Built like a tank", yes it has a metal band within the plastic of the headband, but it dosent act any different to the cheap plastic and still becomes lose, Within a week you will notice the creaking (even while your wearing it) of the ear cups, if you move your head or tilt it they make a creaking sound, so even with music playing you move your head and you will still hear the cheap plastic creaking. and so will any one your speaking to on say skype/teamspeak.

Lack of stand:
What I mean is the recon3d omega dosent come with the headset stand like the tactical3d does, so features such as a stand is rather a sad thing to see missing, for the price your paying. ...why creative? why does the higher tier headset not come with the basics a lower tier does?

Scout Button:
The so called Scout button, in theory its great and in practice sometimes, yes it works, you can hear "footsteps" but most the time it will just pick up ANY lowish noise and drown out any footsteps, thus being the opposite of what it was ment to be good for.

CrystalVoice in the software:
OH god just turn it off before you even attempt anything, its broken, its broken, oh my god is it broken! crystal voice? more like distorted hell of a voice! bad bad software! (and no i dont have any FX selected to change my voice) it just is bad!

And again BUILD QUALITY:
Yes we are here again im afraid, first pair, ear cup fell off ,not the padding but the entire left ear cup, ie only a cable kept it attached, yes Cheap plastic hinges, remember the creaking i mentioned, its riddled with it. 3 months in on the "new" headset, the band is getting lose and the cups feel very loose and wobble, ie CHEAP PLASTIC (I think your getting the idea now, this isnt no "Tank" build quality, if it was god help all the soldiers in the world)

Price:
Stupidly high price for such cheap plastic, if they had just spent more in the build quality (yes i know it would of added extra weight to a already extremely heavy headset but least it would of lasted longer)

Battery Life:
When you first get it, the battery is good, lasts for like 8 hours a charge, but soon your start noticing the BEEP after 6 hours, and even if you plug your headset in, it may not charge and continue to beep until you turn it off (seems very finicky at times)

SoundBlaster Return Policy:
only 1 return allowed....well thats great as the "new" replacement they sent, well the battery is definitely a bit iffy so im guessing its a refurb that had battery dying issues that wasnt fully resolved, and its starting to feel loose to the point it prob fall apart again, so yeah its not a long term investment buying soundblaster headsets.

So all in all this is the best and worst headset ive owned, i love it and hate it at the same time, would i suggest others buy it... for sound and just how good it is yes, would i feel bad for suggesting it, yes it will probably brake and leave you pennyless in the process. (did i mention its expensive?)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of headphones, 30 Mar. 2013
Brilliant! The sound is top quality, and isolating to the point where I get told off by the missus because I can't hear her. When the power get low it beeps to warn you so you can plug them in and continue using them. I would thoroughly recommend them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product. Slight fault, 12 Jan. 2013
This item is a good one, there is good quality and they are very light weight. We have had a couple of problems wi these. We have had to send back two lots of these already as the wiring in the twisting earphones becomes loose and stops the sound from working in one of earphones. Amazon have been great and replaced these with a new product twice. We will be keeping an eye on these one and I guess if it happens again then go with another make. Well worth still giving them a go as they are good quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 10 Jan. 2013
Firstly, I know this headset is alot of money, but for what you receive, you will not regret it for one minute.

I'm listening to them right now after just opening them! (They came in one day via Yodel in first class (2-3 days) was the estimate. So very happy with delivery.. But, on the the headset. The audio quality is AMAZING. I've never heard anything this clear, crisp, or full of base! I'm hearing details that I never have in audio I've listened to for ages. The software is brilliant, tonnes of options to choose from, and the voice effects are hilarious. (I've set mine to "Elderly" for skype calls with my mates, and they all crack up!)

This headset perfectly justifies its price, they are also extremely comfortable!

10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars best headset in the market upto date, 2 April 2012
Just awesome!!! better off from the headphones in the market which I did own Bose, Sennheiser and Sony in the past but this is Xtra special combination like bread & butter :P
Bass is like in club without any distortion no matter how max you go specially when you listen to music or videos.
On gaming, there is a special button called scout mode which is really helpful to pin-point where your enemies at.
Its only the price which is a concern here.
Nevertheless would definetly recommend to anyone who's looking for serious gaming & listening music with all gaming consoles & pc/mac in the market.
Get it & you'll see what I mean.
Cheers

Here is a reviewed link on Youtube:

[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality, wireless but difficult to set up, 16 Feb. 2012
S. A. Broadhurst "SBroadhurst" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The headphones were perfect for my husband as his Christmas present was the new Call of Duty game for Xbox and he was really pleased when I gave him these to play with too. Now my husband is one of those blokes who doesn't do instructions, but will instead, open the box and want to get going straight away. He did, on this occasion, however decide to read the instructions for this headset to set it up correctly but he found the instructions very difficult to follow and set up took a long time to get connected to the X Box, which of course wasted valuable game time!

Once the headset had been set up, my husband was very impressed with the product. They look great, fit well and are comfortable to wear. The sound quality is excellent and are great to use with the modern warfare style games.

This headset is rather expensive at over £200 but is a top product which my husband will recommend to all his gaming friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound quality, but can be uncomfortable in long sessions if you wear glasses., 3 Dec. 2014
I bought this to use between my XBox 360, PS3 and Windows Vista/7 PCs, all work fine and it's fairly easy to unplug.

XBox 360 (E) - The soundcard interfaces with the XBox 360 via Optical Audio, but since mine is the XBox 360 E model I'm using the Optical Output from my TV instead, and also using one of the USB ports to power the soundcard. With the 360 Slim model, it can be plugged straight into the back of the console via the optical out, but it works just fine through the one on my TV. The chat function is through a supplied chat cable which plugs into the gamepad, the microphone can also be a little directional, and sometimes I have to speak at slightly higher than normal volume for the console to pick up my voice, okay in normal conditions, but not so good when there are people sleeping in the next room. However, this may be down to the XBox 360 itself not being able to turn up the sensitivity. When it does pick up that chat, I'm told it's fairly clear.

PS3 Slim - The PS3 needs the soundcard to be plugged into the USB (not sure if other models of PS3 have USB ports in the back, but the Slim doesn't, so the USB cable goes in the front) on the console itself for the microphone to work, but this means the headset becomes truely wireless. Mic sensitivities can also be turned up on the console, so voice is usually picked up without having to be raised.

PC - the accompanied software works on the PC (shame that it doesn't work on XBox 360 or PS3) and can be used to alter the user's voice. There are many presets from old lady to robot which can be amusing.

Sound quality is good, the (built-in) battery life is okay for me, but if I forget to charge it up after every medium-length use then it can run out in the middle of a session. I have a portable external battery for USB devices so it's not a deal breaker, but it'd be nice if there is some way to see how much charge there is left before I start a session. Currently it only tells you of a low battery with a fairly quiet beeping sound from the earcups, which I often miss in the middle of a firefight.

Having tried out a set of powered noise-cancelling headphone from another famous brand (it's not wireless and doesn't have a mic), these are certainly not noise cancelling (and they don't claim to be), which would have made them better.

The earcups can also be about 50% larger, this is so they go over and cup my ears rather than sitting on them, especially when I have glasses on the arms tend to dig in after an hour or so.

Overall I'm pretty happy with these, but I'll be looking out for a better gaming headset when they are more reasonably priced.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good sound / bad converting, 9 April 2014
Julian Adolph "Heli Fan" (Münster, Westfalen) - See all my reviews
The sound of the headset was really good and considering that you need no extra soundcard for this headset makes it very attarctive for people who only have on board sound. However after three days it already didn't work anymore. The USB sound card did not glow when you boot up and the headset could not connect to it anymore. I think this is the last time that i bought a creative product because i already had bad experience in the past with other creative products. So I would not recommend anybody this product.