Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

• Rio

Rio
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£9.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

On one listening, I find RIO a little disappointing and I'm a BIG fan of Keith Jarrett. I put it into my iTunes Library and the first thing I did was edit off all the final applause of each track

Generally, Keith's musical imagination is astounding, couple this with his commitment to performing solo and creating music in the moment and an amazing technical facility and touch there are few who can match his ability and facility.

Rio is 15 tracks which are shorter in duration than usual for him. This has given rise to explore a wide and diverse range of grooves / styles / genres / feels / emotions across the concert. And yet each piece feels to me as though a structure has alluded Keith somehow.

For me personally, the elements which disappoint me (not forgetting the audience noises):-

* Some florid phrases in the right hand which are normally so well executed with a machine gun accuracy, on Rio there's a certain sloppiness to the technique.
* Ideas seem to get cut short and feel undeveloped or allowed to morph into another se of ideas as happens on La Scala and Sun Bear.
* There's less counterpoint than usual, an over reliance on the textures of RH solo aka horn lines and LH chordal and bass parts interspersed with unison octaves horn lines in both hands. A very heavy use of block chords.
* Not enough inward reflection and breathing space.
* Some underlying pulses are just not regular and a bit stultified, particularly in the early tracks.

Nevertheless, this Concert may strike a heavier chord for some listeners and I would recommend these discs despite these initial responses. Keith Jarrett is one of a kind, maintaining a tradition, that of solo improvisation, and putting it on the table of a mass audience in a delightful way. We are indeed fortunate to have Keith.

Recommended:

La Scala
The Koln Concert
Sun Bear Concerts
Paris / London - Testament
Staircase, Hourglass, Sundial, Sand
on 6 January 2012
Outstanding piece of art ! Lyrical manoeuvers along with rythmical, yet passionate, musical pieces. Put it next to the "Koln concert", the "La Scala" and the "Paris-London" works. Thank you Keith !
on 11 January 2012
Bought this for my husband and he was delighted with it. It was a mix of the more "avant-garde" which is Jarrett's trademark, and the more "accessable", as I would put it!!
on 14 February 2012
After a cacophonous first track, the rest follows in the style we have come to expect. I liked it a lot.
on 19 December 2011
I like most of Keith Jarretts work But this one is like Marmite "you love it or hate it" listen before you buy !