on 6 April 2013
What everyone says about the usefulness of these the double lid system keeping in freshness is completely correct, and it is certainly helpful. My advice in short is: buy this if you like it, but buy a bigger basic dabba for 1/3rd the price as well.

The size of this is actually such a let down. I am fairly well versed in indian kitchenware having lived in Mumbai and through shopping in spice stores in London; hence I was expecting a sizeable dabba. Each container holds approx 30g of ground spice, or less so of seeds. Nearly all Indian stores sell spices in 70g or 100g packets (small jars in shops are 40-48g), so this ISN'T going to help clear up your spice cupboard (like many seem to hope); at least for a while. And considering the shared container for bay leaves and cinnamon sticks, it again doesn't hold much of either.

Further if you are a good chef you want access to spices fast, the lids are a bit fiddly and clutters your mise en place. If there wasn't labels on the containers I'd recommend keeping all your ground powders in this dabba, and all your seeds and leaves in a bigger dabba (if you really cook Indian, chances are you use seeds mostly and powders a bit less) as seeds take up more space. Meaning you can store ground cardamom, nigella seeds, fenugreek seeds etc. etc. in a more logical manner. People talk about taking it travelling, but you can get ground powders anywhere in the world, but usually not the seeds, saffron, black cardamom, mace etc. Use the dabba for these if travelling; pick up your ginger/turmeric/cumin/coriander at location!

Lastly, the writing isn't perfect on the canisters- I was under the impression they were engraved but they are just black laser print and not all the writing is sold black.

If they made it a bit bigger, maybe 15-20%, and a bit versatile it'd have 5stars. You can get 3 bigger double lidded dabbas for the same price and p&p.
on 7 January 2013
I shopped online for quite a while before settling on the Three Sisters masala dabba. I got the empty one for £30, which I then filled myself. I have had it 9 months now. So far it is holding up well.

PROS:

*It is ideal for travel. We always do self-catering holidays, and I love to make curries, so a masala dabba with individual lids is perfect! I have taken it on three holidays so far and it has performed wonderfully. I just make sure to store it flat and don't tip it over, because that big pot in the middle that has four dividers in it will mix the spices if tipped.

*It holds 12 spices instead of the usual 7 of most dabbas.

*The pots are a decent size if you have a small family.

*The little spice spoon nestles amongst the pots, just turn it on its side and drop it in.

*The clear lids mean you don't need to lift the pots out of the dabba to see what they are. If you know your spices, you should be able to tell by looking. Most dabbas have no labels, or even lids! But just in case you do need to, the names are printed on the sides of the jars and it's easy enough to lift them out.

CONS:

*Some of the lids on the jars fit tighter than others. I'd rather have them all slide off easily. One in particular in my set gets stuck down so hard that I have to really squeeze and twist on it. The twisting has caused little cracks to crawl across the glass top. I don't know how long it will last, I try to be careful with it and have tried it on every jar. It's tight on all of them. it's just a wonky lid. I've put it on the Fennel which I don't use as much, but it would be better if all the lids were the same.

*When you want to cook, you want to take all the little lids off to have them ready to go, like in a traditional dabba. It can be annoying to take all those lids off and find a place to put them (I usually put them in the top when I set it aside.)

*The pots are on the small side, so if you have a large family or cook Indian food often, you may find refilling them so often to be a pain. I know I go through a LOT of cumin seeds and am always topping it up.

*All that handling of the little pots and lids makes them grubby, whereas with a traditional dabba, normally you just take the lid off and spoon the spices out, without having to touch anything.

Since buying this tin, I have bought a more traditional masala dabba with 7 open cups, an inner lid and a top lid. I quite like it and feel that I would be more than happy with two of those, BUT, for travel, this dabba cannot be beat. You can take a full complement of 12 spices with you and so for that alone it is worth buying.
on 3 December 2011
Having recently purchased the three sisters cookbook I thought that a spice tin was a must. There are several displayed on Amazon, the cheaper ones (around £8) are clearly advertised as being empty.
I ordered the Three sisters one at £29 as the picture showed it to be full of spices. When it arrived it was far smaller than expected, and empty but did contain everything needed to follow the Three Sisters Cook book (Which is an excellent cook book by the way). My fault though, I missed the fact that it did state, Spices not included. My initial reaction was to send the product back but the postage costs put me off and decided to keep it.
This disappointment initially led me to give the product a too harsh review I have to admit but it is a quality product and goes well with the wonderful book, my only real criticism would be that on some of the containers the engraving is a little faint and when I thought I had been misled I was upset to see that on the invoice the bit about spices included had been crossed out with a pen, perhaps a new template could be introduced for the spice tin that is without spices and this would look more professional.
What has led me to change my review was a phonecall from one of the Three sisters herself, Alexa who was clearly, genuinely upset at my too harsh review.
Alexa was lovely and genuinly concerned for her business and for my satisfaction with the product. She offered to pay for my postage if I did wish to return and I found her to be very genuine. She also said that they would gladly replace any tins on which the engraving was not very clear.
Given this level of service I would advise anyone not to have any worries about dealing with the Three Sisters and whilst the Spice box is more expensive than others advertised, you pay for what you get and the item is one of quality and is now being used in conjunction with the book.
Thank you Alexa, your call was appreciated.
on 15 April 2012
Received this item in good time and am very impressed. It is smaller than I imagined, but this is a good thing for me as it fits nicely in my pantry without me having to rearrange a shelf ;-)
The only thing I would suggest to the Three Sisters is to redesign the middle compartmented tin - if accidentaly tipped, the spices fall into one of the adjacent compartments. This was very irritating as the seeds mixed and I spent a bit of time separating them before finally deciding to bin some of the mixed seeds. I suggest to maybe put little plastic lids with hinges or something similar and then have the usual lid with glass. I do, however, agree with a previous review where the reviewer suggested engraving the spice names on the glass instead of the sides.
All in all, this is a very nice item and I look forward to using it more and more.
on 12 August 2012
Very neat, with glass lid, sufficient space. I plan to buy another one so that I have one for spice seeds and one for spice powders. It is really space and time saving. Must have for all those interested in Indian cooking. I did my research well by looking at other brands and this one is more pricey but no doubt a better make.
on 17 December 2012
I purchased this item last week and filled it up at the weekend. The individual containers are great, the labels are easy to read and the fact that they all have lids unlike many other masala boxes is fantastic. Each container holds a decent amount of spices and it makes it so much easier when buying spices in large packets. The lovely little spoon is a bonus.

I would highly recommend this to anyone and if I had one minor suggestion it would be that it would be nice to have a selection of labels supplied seperately to be able to label each container with what is actually in it. Some people may have different spices. These labels could be for a wider range of spices and even if it raised the price marginally it would be worth it.

All in all, a great product and I will be buying another 2 for all of my herbs and spices
on 10 January 2015
The dabba is really well made, solid, a quality product. You pay a lot more for this than others but you get what you pay for. The pots are slightly smaller than we expected; they won't hold a full packet/box of spices. The small boxes in supermarkets are 50g and these hold about 2/3 of them, about 30 grams. However, if you are only taking one or two teaspoons of spices at a time these will be more than adequate; they may not be suitable for someone who uses tablespoons of each spice every time. The individual lids are well made and tight fitting and will make the spices last a long time. The main lid also fits well. It's a great product that looks good in the kitchen.

Te only thing we were disappointed with was the delivery. It's £7 so not cheap, sent by UPS. It took a while (ordered on the 28th Dec, received on 9th Jan). The most annoying part was that we were out when they tried to deliver (there is no tracking info so you cannot plan to be in). They left a card telling us it was at a newsagent, which we then had to drive to in order to get it. It was the first attempt at delivery, so it's expensive and disappointing when you have to drive and pick it up yourself.

Delivery aside we're pleased with the dabba and would recommend it to others wanting a quality product over a more basic, cheap version.
on 4 February 2012
Arrived and is just as described.
Good sized tins with a clear lid allowing you to see contents.
Spice names on the side of the tins - so you can't see them until each tin is lifted out of the box.
However putting a label on the clear lid would obscure the view of the contents.

Lovely product but arrived with a small dent in it (about the size of 5p piece) - doesn't prevent anything from working but just doesn't look great.
on 21 October 2014
Really love this set of spice containers. They are good quality and easy to use. My husband has been on an Indian cookery course and now makes amazing curries. This container helps because it has the main ingredients needed to make a curry. My only vice is that the containers have to be lifted to see the spice. I would have preferred the name of the spice to be put on the top of the small containers. Would still recommend.
on 14 February 2013
This product is exactly what I wanted and more, not only are the spice containers labelled, they have airtight lids that have a transparent window enabling me to see what spices are there and how much is left. the whole item is stylish and functional. The only thing that I would improve is providing more spoons so that I don't have to mix the spices or keep waxhing it up.

See one answered question