Format: Blu-ray|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 January 2016
This movie really wasn't for me, and although I can see that Freddie Highmore plays his part very well, I couldn't stomach his character. Let me explain.

Meet George, a kid who can't find the motivation to achieve in life because he has such a pessimistic opinion of life (We're all going to die so what's the point of trying?) that he makes no effort whatsoever with school, his family and doesn't bother making friends. I found this so difficult to watch because actually, George's awareness of his own impending mortality was a great concept which the producers really should have run with - this could have been really interesting and chewy. However, what we actually have is a lazy, whiny kid who talks back to anyone who questions him and is basically a waste of time. Which, sadly, is what this film was.

I do think this movie was cast well, even the supporting cast did a great job with what is inherently a dreadful script. I just wish this movie had challenged some of the deeper issues at hand with mortality but it just doesn't. I barely made it through without muting the TV. One to avoid, unless you like petulant teenagers or you're more patient than me and can read into the hidden metaphors.
on 27 September 2015
Freddie Highmore is really outstanding in this film, his portrayal of George is both sensitive and funny. While this may seam like the typical high school love story, it's got a great depth and fantastic story line to it that makes it a must watch in my opinion.
on 5 February 2015
I don't usually like this sort of film but I have to admit I have watched it more than my fair share. It is different but without being unrealistic. I like it very much and don't regret the buy one bit. Please give it a try if your considering it!
on 29 April 2015
Really sad film which every teenager can relate to. Emma Roberts and Freddie Highmore play a fantastic part!

My only concern is that this film had a very low running time (79 mins) and it would had been better to make it a bit longer!
on 17 April 2016
I write this review, having just watched this film to procrastinate after a month's holiday of doing no work, with only 2 months left of the uni year. So I can relate. I think most people would relate with George actually (I do to a scary amount anyway)- we just try to pretend otherwise- as also pointed out by the film. Whilst predictable, the storyline is still how you want it to go anyway, even if you know what will happen in terms of the general plot; I even guessed the final painting. One thing I have taken away/thought a bit more about is just how much our thoughts are overridden by emotion, interspersed with the odd rational decision amd the occassional bursts of inspiration where we think 'that's it'.
on 28 April 2014
I've been meaning to watch this since it came out and I kick myself for not watching sooner!
No matter how old you are, you will be able to relate to it. Absolutely brilliant, lovely wee film. :)
on 5 September 2011
I saw this movie at the cinema yesterday and it almost had me in tears. Freddie and Emma are outstanding in this movie and prove they are both going to be around for a very long time. I must menttion that the supporting cast are all fantasic aswell. I think a lot of people will relate to these characters as they try and fit in and find their place in the world. This is a love story with intelligence and depth.
on 4 April 2016
I liked this film. It caused a range of emotions with an interesting and slightly different storyline. The ending (spoiler alert) is quite predictable, but it's also what I would like and expect to see. The message of the entire film would be completely different if they hadn't got together in the end, so even if it is a bit cliché, I don't think it was a bad choice by the story writer, and it makes for a good movie.
on 12 May 2014
This film is must see.....totally must see.....beautiful in every way.One of the best films I have seen in a long time. Authentic acting and a story we can all relate to
The Art of Getting by is the method George use's of coping with the world that he can't quite find his place in. George comes from a fairly wealthy family Manhattan family he is a smart loner, struggling with thoughts and images that he can't quite manage to coalesce into a meaningful reality in his mind. His biggest issue is fear; he says its of Dying but its of Living.

The Art of getting by is the story of George meeting the beautiful Sally at school. In the film they meet as George sacrifices himself to a teacher when she is about to get caught smoking; and Sal insinuates herself into his life. Getting by is the story over the remainder of the school year and its about George desperately trying to figure the world and Sally out.

I love this film for the same reasons I adore Iggy Goes Down; George, Igby and I struggle to relate to (beautiful) people we meet and with the thoughts in our minds and that makes us live partially outside of society; which in getting by is shown through Sal and her friends.

I think there is probably too much of Sal (as clearly talented as Emma Roberts is) and her story and that it dilutes what could have been more dramatic moments of the film and that makes it 4*s rather than 5.