5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy upgrade to the PocketDab 1500
Published on 4 Dec 2011 by B. T. Aris

2.0 out of 5 stars DAB Radio
I only use this in the Gym. I bought it as a replacement for a PocketDAB 1500 which was misbehaving. It's smaller and lighter, but the reception is much poorer and the sound volume low. Since it is used in exactly the same place and way as its predecessor, this judgement is accurate. I would suggest buying the older and cheaper 1500.
Published on 20 July 2012 by Bruce A Fireman

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy upgrade to the PocketDab 1500, 4 Dec 2011
B. T. Aris (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pure Move 2500 Rechargeable Personal Digital DAB/FM Radio - Black (Electronics)
Firstly, I purchased the Pure PocketDab 1500 in December 2005 and have been pleased with it ever since. Since the Move 2500 release in August 2011 I was in two frames of mind, do I upgrade or keep my 1500? well, I went ahead and purchased one and guess what? best change of mind I've had in ages. If like me you already own the 1500, then you'll find upgrading to the Move 2500 would be a step forward then a step back. The battery life may only be 14 hours as compared to the 21 hours of the 1500, but that's because the battery in the 2500 is only 1000ma where the battery in the 1500 is 1800ma. But, the one thing that did surprise me is walking around Sainsbury's, where my 1500 would cut out and force me to switch to FM, and then the only station I could receive was a local one, the Move 2500 kept going on digital making the FM side more redundant. This is the very thing that once and for all convinced me that going from the PocketDab 1500 to the Move 2500 was a wise move.

The Move 2500 is smaller then the PocketDab 1500, holds on to the digital stations better then the PocketDab 1500, and is better looking then the PocketDab 1500 which to be fair, the design dates back to 2003 as the PocketDab is the same as the 1000, the only difference is the the type of battery, one used AA the other Lithium.

In a nutshell, if you already own the 1500 and thinking is it worth going for the 2500, then go for it, you won't regret it.

If you're one of those people who is thinking about buying a Pure personal digital radio, and you are unable to decide between the 1500 as it's so cheap now, or the new 2500? I would recommend you spend a few pounds extra and buy the 2500, not that the 1500 is bad, just that the 2500 is a lot better, and so it should be, as the 2500 is the first complete design and performance change since 2003, plus the Firmware can be upgraded (there has already been two since August, I've already updated mine).

At the end of the day, although I owned and loved my 1500 for six years, even though it is quite on the large side compared to other personal digital radios out there, up and till Pure released the Move 2500, the 1500 WAS the best out there, now with the 2500, things have got better, and keeps Pure in the number one position in the digital radio market.

***UPDATE***

I just found out how sensitive the tuner is on the Move 2500, hence the reason why it works in Sainbury's. While fiddling about with the FM side of this radio in my bedroom, not only could it pick up ALL the FM radio stations, it also picked up a station called AHBS CR. Not knowing what this station is I put AHBS CR into Google and it turned out to be the hospital radio station which is about two and a half miles away. I did the retune on my 1500 and not only did it fail to pull in all the FM stations, it didn't even pick up the local hospital one ether.

Forget about the price, forget about the other portable digital radios including the 1500, if you are wanting to buy a portable digital radio, the Move 2500 is now 1000% highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works on the train, the countryside, the city, everywhere!, 13 Nov 2011
I purchased the Pure 2500 over a month ago now to make my commute a little more bearable. I had low expectations as I've used a Sony portable DAB in the past with mixed results and even the larger 'bed-side' DABs where I live are patchy at best.

Imagine my surprise when I first unpacked the 2500, turned it on and it worked straight away. I should add, where I live I get very poor TV and radio reception yet somehow the 2500 was crystal clear. The signal quality is a vast improvement over FM and the sound is geared more toward the mid-range and bass than the higher end. This is fine though as the sound is very warm and both music and speech are very well reproduced.

The next big test was the train, I've read reviews with mixed results or people just unsure. I can report the 2500 works incredibly well. I use trains with over-head electric cables (as opposed to diesels) and there is very little signal interference. On my 1 hour commute into London there are perhaps a couple of dead patches, but apart from that the 2500 excels. The ony thing that causes interference are tunnels and any oncoming trains strangely.

When in a city the DAB doesn't like being inside some shops, lifts and other heavily insulated spaces but between tall buildings and when walking past cars/buses etc. the signal is uninterrupted.

It's not a cheap audio solution, but it's worth every penny. The battery life too is fantastic, I managed to leave the 2500 on overnight the other day and even after a full day's use there was still juice in the thing.

In the hand the 2500 feels very light and delicate but conversely well made and finished. The only negatives I've encountered are relatively minor. The jog wheel (like a 1st gen iPod) seems a little weak and might cause longevity issues but works fine now. The 'lock' on the top of the unit is very difficult to operate, and it's not clear without looking at it when it is/isn't locked. Finally the on/off/FM+DAB button is a little annoying as the function is combined. This means sometimes when you want to turn the unit on or off you end up switching modes, it's only a minor niggle though.

Overall a very impressive, reliable and nice to use piece of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Portable DAB by Pure, 26 Aug 2011
Keith Harrison "Avid Reader" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
Have had one for about a week now. Mostly used whilst walking my dogs through woods and fields but also on trams, trains buses etc. Superb sound quality - seems to cope with dense deciduous woods (Grenoside Woods, north Sheffield near where I live) - and easy to use although the instructions are not very good on how to add a favourite (you need to select a radio channel, then press favourite using wheel, then use wheel to select the number of the favourite you want to add the channel to, then press for favourite for several seconds until the channel is added to the number of favourite you selected). Small, light, 14 hour rechargeable battery, good headphones that are also the radion arial. A joy to listen for hours to Radion 3 with no interference or static whilst out & about.
It is an excellent product, very glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative DAB Radio., 29 Dec 2011
I have been a big fan of Dab Radio for a few years now and have purchased a few different Dab radios including a Pure Highway system for the car. I bought the Pure Move 2500 after doing plenty of research into the radio as alternative in car system. I have a car which comes with both and ipod and 3.5mm Aux jack allowing for both options to be used.
After reading the the Pure Move 2500 uses the headphones as an arial to pick up the signal for both FM and Digital signals, I decided to try it in the car and work on the basis that the car would act as an arial for the unit once plugged into the 3.5mm Aux connection. I should point out that I was always prepared to use it as it was intended should this idea fail.
It works brilliantly and i am more than happy with the radio. Its not 100% perfect as there are little glitches in the sound occasionally but this is not too often and completely tolerable in my opinion, So i would give it a 95% rating on that basis.
The unit is small, tidy, well built and very easy to use. I can understand other comments which i have read on Amazon recently regarding the volume being a little louder and the lock switch being a little fiddly but as i use it mainly to listen to Planet Rock in the car it suits me just fine.
As i mentioned before i also own a Pure Highway unit PURE Highway, In-Car DAB Radio With FM Transmitter and trust me when i say this is loads better!!!!! Sure it cost more but the initial outlay far outweighs the amount of happy listening i have had with this compared to the Highway system which uses spare FM stations to pick up and run digital radio. The highway constantly loses reception when moving from area to area and i found myself trying to change the station every 10 minutes. I have also found the reception on the Highway unit sketchy at best.
The Pure Move 2500 can fit inside my arm rest where the Aux connection point is located and be constantly hidden from view, unlike the Highway which uses a Sat Nav style windscreen holder, a 12v power supply and an arial which is only useable in one car and trails cable all across the dashboard.
So if your looking for an in car dab as well as an ultimately portable unit and have a Aux jack to connect to then this is a must for all those listeners of stations like Planet Rock which are not accessible on the usual FM stereo system.
I would recommend it to anyone who this unit may suit.
Pure have always been great and i am sticking with them for all of my DAB requirements.Pure Move 2500 Rechargeable Personal Digital DAB/FM Radio

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect personal dab, 20 May 2012
D. J. Constable (sussex uk) - See all my reviews
I find it strange that there are mixed reviews of this product. I think that this is a brilliant piece of kit. The dab reception is astounding, better than my wife's Pure One radio. I can use this anywhere, even plugged into the car stereo, and have had no issues at all, even though I prefer to use my own sennheiser headphones.
As for ease of use, this radio is so easy and intuitive to use it quickly becomes second nature and you can use it without having to think about what you are doing. Admittedly you do need to look at the display, so if you have any problems with sight then this is not for you.
Finally, battery life is good. I listen all day at work and find average life is about 12 to 14 hours per charge, easily enough to get through the day.
All in all, then, a brilliant little device, well made and designed, amazing clear reception no matter how much you move around and, best of all, lovely clear digital sound. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars DAB on the move, 12 Nov 2012
I'd bought a new car without DAB or LW, so no Test Match Special, so I bought the 2500 to see if it would play through the car audio, the first one I bought kept switching itself off so using Amazon's excellent replacement service i returned it. The 2nd one has been faultless and the reception either using the supplied headphones, my own headphones or via the aux in on the car audio has been excellent.

From home (near Gloucester), I've been able to drive to Coventry in one direction and Cardiff in the other without having to rescan.

Battery life is excellent and I can recharge in the car using the cars USB socket, the only minor downside in the car is that even with the volume up to max on the 2500 I still have to increase the volume slightly on the car audio to match the FM stations. Great to have Radio 6 and 5 live extra in the car for a whole bunch less than the car audio DAB upgrade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure 2500, 10 Jan 2012
Purchased to replace a Clarity Cube Personal DAB Radio that died prematurely.

Used mainly whilst walking the dogs or doing tasks outside.This is in a different league, like moving from a Transistor Radio to Hifi.

The sound quality is a lot better. The signal quality is better and it keeps signal where the old one would lose it.

Volume is more than adequate, equals my MP3 player. Bass/Treble does give some adjustment.The earphones supplied are fine, they produce a "rich" sound if a little flat for my taste Using my own Sennheiser CX300s improves matters, they seem to allow the "sound out of the box".

The controls are pretty intuitive. Battery life is good.

Happy I made the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan Bloody Tastic!!!!, 18 Sep 2012
Just recieved this radio and am very very impressed. Was a bit apprehensive about the purchase as quite a few reviews commented on the difficulty in using the wheel for scrolling. So I thought better buy it from Amazon as their return policy is very good. After charging and having a play I couldn't be more impressed. Autotuned the DAB stations no problems. Made the mistake of running the autoscan without connecting the earphones not realising that the earphones also act as the antenna. Quickly realised my mistake and corrected it. It found over 35 stations. Scroll wheel is a doddle to use and can be locked. Sound is very crisp.

Bought this to take to football matches, namely Old Trafford (C'Mon Reds!!). The radio found all the sport stations (Talksport, Radio 5 Live etc) no problems.

The only thing I would say is that the pictures are a bit deceiving. The radio is thicker (depth) than I expected but still a good size for a jacket pocket.

Top Drawer

Hope this helps

Over & Out

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Improved, 9 Aug 2012
Mr. IAN MCCORRY (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
I decided to replace my old DAB 1500 with this new Move 2500 unit. I've waited a while before writing this, as initially I was very disappointed. From first use I found that DAB reception was poor, with the radio often switching itself off. This even happened in areas where the displayed signal strength & quality were at least adequate. I contacted Pure, who after a couple of emails to gather further details, requested that I return it for them to "take a look". While I was deciding whether to return it to Amazon or to Pure, a parcel arrived unannounced from Pure with a brand new radio. Immediately this unit was a great improvement. Areas where I had been unable to listen without "burbles", were now very clear, and the unit never switches itself off. The performance is now up to the other 5* reviews, with great sound quality and greatly improved reception compared to my old DAB1500 radio. Full marks for Pure's support, but how did it get out into the marketplace? If you find you have a reception problem, do what I did and query it.

2.0 out of 5 stars DAB Radio, 20 July 2012