4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Little Radio - Shame about the additional battery cost
Published on 30 Dec 2010 by Jollycam

1.0 out of 5 stars What price mediocrity
Well it is an unjustified price. If you want a radio that is plugged in all the time you wouldn't really buy this but then Pure give you one option to make it portable which is the expensive bespoke battery. This pushes the total price to an unreasonable level for such a poor sounding radio. I only needed this for speech type radio such as R4 and R4Extra...
Published on 4 Mar 2012 by Barney McMillan

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Little Radio - Shame about the additional battery cost, 30 Dec 2010
I only bought this radio because it was in the Black Friday promotion, however I'm glad I did as this is a nice little budget DAB radio which has no problem picking up stations in what is a (supposedly) poor reception area. Sound is very radio-alarm-clock standard, however for my use is fine as I mostly use it to listen to speech. If you want to listen to music though I'd personally spend more on a better sounding model if it's to be your primary radio.

The main drawback is that it doesn't take standard batteries and you have to buy the special Pure brand battery, the chargePAK (which I bought after the purchase), if you want to use it portable. It's a shame really as it seems a blatant cash-in to get you to spend more money on the unit (and the battery isn't cheap), however if you do purchase the chargePAK, it will last more than enough hours on a single charge and still keeps the unit very light.

Also bear in mind that this is a basic model and lacks features such as a headphone socket or line-in/out, however with the purchase of the battery, I've ended up with what I wanted (i.e. a light radio I can walk round the house with in the mornings). Just bear in mind that additional battery cost if you want it to be portable.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good budget buy., 10 Nov 2010
Skylark (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Nice looking radio, handy size and very user friendly - easy to set up, uncomplicated controls.

The sound is pretty punchy for a small radio, although the sound quality isn't top drawer. Fair enough, it's at the budget end of the range, but even so I have a couple of non-Pure DAB radios around the house which were both cheaper than the Mi but have a richer and more mellow sound. I listen to a lot of classical music so that tends to be where any deficiencies show up.

Also, be aware that if you want to use the radio on the hoof, you'll have to shell out for a special chargepak. It won't take ordinary batteries. My Pure pocket radio came with an integral chargepak, and for some reason I hadn't cottoned on to the fact that the Pure Mi doesn't. You don't have to buy this of course, as it works on the mains, but the whole point of its size is that it's very portable.

There's a smart-looking orange and black cover available as an optional extra, so if you're prepared to splash out, this will all make for a very nice little package. It's great as a second radio, or if you want one small and light enough to take out and about. If it's going to be your only radio, though, and spend its time at home, you could get a bigger one with better quality sound for the same sort of money, if you look around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Ease of Use, 13 Aug 2011
Mr AA Underwood (Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This little radio is very easy to use.
Scanning in the available channels and adding my favourites to the preset button was intuitive and took just a few seconds without even the need to refer to the instruction sheet. I like that. For someone like me who just wants to listen to the cricket and other sporting stuff,mainly on 5 Live Sports Extra, this little radio sounds plenty good enough. Also the PAK A1 battery pack is pretty good value when I consider the amount of money I've spent on both rechargeable (which get lost and borrowed) and non-rechargeable batteries I've bought for my other radios. One point for improvement would be for PURE to make it clear on the box that their radios only become portable with the additional battery pack instead of simply describing it as an "optional extra". I Knew the score from researching various products, so I'm not complaining but if you're not completely on the ball or like a mate of mine, you get one of these from your other half for your birthday, or something like that, well you'll probably be mildly cheesed off -just like some of the other reviewers evidently are. However, in summary -a great little easy to use radio -the battery issue is fine, so don't forget to order one. PURE Charge PAK A1 Rechargeable Battery Pack for PURE ONE Mi Radio However,I draw the line at forking out another 17 for the optional orange and black cloth case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember the old days of the transistor Radio, 25 Aug 2010
I was amazed by this little radio. It reminded me when I was a kid and would take mmy little transistor radio around with me. This radio has every thing you need in a portable DAB radio for a very affordable price. The reception is great and I live in a poor reception area. The sound is crisp and fairly loud for its size.

This radio will not blast out the windows but that is not what it is designed for. If you just want a radio to listern to the news or radio 4 then this is the radio for you. It is good for listerning to music but it is no big watt sound system. I would fully recommend this radio for people interested in dipping their toes in the digital age and who are constrained by a low budget.

1.0 out of 5 stars What price mediocrity, 4 Mar 2012

Obviously I'm not expecting to be amazed by sound quality but how about at least some clarity eh Pure? I have heard the Pure Evoke and One Elite and was impressed with the clear sound. This however is different. The unit is mostly fresh air inside so resonances make it sound boxy, added to this is a prominence in upper mid-range that adds a harsh irritability to voices. Basically it sounds like a dirt cheap radio but it wasn't cheap!

My 1985 Grundig 'Boy' sounds much better than this M1, I thought a quick update to Pure digital portability was a step forward but I was wrong.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart Little Radio, 20 Feb 2011
Graham White (Christchurch) - See all my reviews
This is my second purchase of the Pure One Digital Radios range - some may have also seen my review of the Pure One Mini, which was my first purchase. I wanted a smaller, more portable radio and this certainly fits the bill, being very light and about palm sized.

Thankfully, this latter, the smallest addition to the range does not retain the major drawback I highlighted of the Mini radio. The Chargepak, again sold separately, could hardly have been easier to insert. No pesky wires and plenty of space and with my first clicking push it connected firmly and easily and worked straight away. It was also mostly charged when first inserted, which was an extra small benefit, helping the user realise it was already working and in order. Well done Pure!

The radio is also particularly easy to use, I found no difficulty in following the instructions and was quickly able to set up the few presets for the stations I regularly listen to.

As highlighted by other reviewers, the sound quality is good for a small DAB radio but not as great as that of the larger editions of the range. So, if you listen to a lot of music rather than talk, (or you are not concerned with portability) you may prefer other radios, particularly the Mini. I mostly listen to talk radio and the sound quality I find is perfectly good for my purposes.

So, why four stars?

1) Pure still do not sell the radio with the charge pak included, I would guess most purchasers do buy the chargepak so why do you not get the option that they come together?

2) This is the first radio I've ever had with no headphone socket! Surely this is one of the prerequisites for 'portable' radios.

I would still recommend this radio with no hesitation.

1.0 out of 5 stars beware!, 8 Nov 2011
Looking for a portable radio or one for the bathroom? Give this a miss. This radio arrives minus a power pack costing almost as much again. Nasty cheap plastic case. For this money I should have bought the one I got for my wife (Roberts EcologicRoberts ECO1BK Ecologic 1 DAB/FM RDS Digital Radio with Built-in Battery Charger - Black); same price and better looking, plus a portable radio that has the courtesy to arrive with batteries. If you want to sell an overpriced portable radio don't split the two essential parts to make it look cheaper

5.0 out of 5 stars better than I thought, 6 Jan 2011
Pure One Mi DAB/FM Radio - Black
PURE Charge PAK A1 Rechargeable Battery Pack for PURE ONE Mi Radio

Oh, I must say it is a funny and good product to our family. When it arrived this morning, I had a bit doubt because it weights light like a plastic toy comparing to our Pure One Classic radio.

But when I opened the package and test it I realised I have paid the good investment for this tiny radio. As I mentioned we have another Pure One radio but it is for me only, in the kitchen. Sometimes, my sons want to listen Funkids radio station(DAB only) when they are playing in the other room and I just have to turn it quite loud for them which really made me headache.

But now,with this lovely radio, they were all playing in other rooms with this small radio so I could enjoy my Jazz FM when I doing my cooking. Also with the rechargeable battery, the radio could be mobile to every where we want. very nice!

Recommend!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Rip-off acccessories needed, 3 April 2011
Comical Engineer "comicaleng" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This radio, as sold, is NOT PORTABLE. If you want to use it away from the mains than you will need the charge pack which sells for half the price you will have paid for the radio and, if you want a carry case then the same amount again. This means that you will DOUBLE the price that you paid for the radio as advertised.

You cannot use rechargeable or AA batteries and are stuck with the PURE "charge pack" which is basically a couple of AA batteries in a fancy case. This means that if the charge runs out while you're away from home you can't nip to the nearest shop for some AA batteries. This seriously limits the use of this otherwise nice little radio.

Sound quality is generally ok for a little box taking the size of speaker into account and everything is pretty logical. Good number of presets & the display is clear.

Oh, yes, USB port but no headphone socket!!!

You can buy much better for not very much more money. Shame on Pure for not using standard batteries.

1.0 out of 5 stars It is not portable!, 30 Jun 2012
A portable radio is one that can be listened to on the move. You cannot do that with this radio as it needs to be plugged in. You can of course purchase separately a power pack for approximately 15, this then would make it portable.

It doesn't do what it says on the box!