5.0 out of 5 stars Kodak are getting there
I was given the Kodak Hero 7.1 as a gift to print mainly photos, "has Kodak had being involved in the photographic industry for years" it was with some trepidation I opened the box to set it up as I had read reviews of earlier Kodak printers, commenting on problems with set up, faulty print heads requiring replacing and below average photo print quality.
First it...
Published on 30 Oct 2011 by John68130

3.0 out of 5 stars Woeful product
Woeful printer, it scans ok, it prints pictures ok but ask it to print on anything other the Best setting and it bands badly and on draft it is all but unreadable. It may have cheap ink but the print quality is shameful. I spend at least a couple of hours a week live talking with India.
Unreliable, poor print quality, cheap ink at face value.
It just doesn't...
Published 22 months ago by Neiloid1

5.0 out of 5 stars Kodak are getting there, 30 Oct 2011
This review is from: Kodak Hero 7.1 All-In-One WiFi Printer (Print, Copy, Scan) (Accessory)
First it could not have being easer to set up, just follow the steps on the enclosed instructions. Just tell it if you want WiFi or are using the enclosed cable (disc goes in to computer after you set up the printer).
I've held off placing a review for a while to see if the print head fails, but touch wood Kodak have seem to have solved this problem, and every thing is working fine.
I found the print quality does very, but this seems to be more to do with the quality / type of photographic paper you use. I printed the same photo on Lexmark paper, Canon and Kodak's own paper and got three different results, all close but not surprisingly the Kodak paper gave the best colour / tonal range on its own printer. You also have the ability to enter the batch code from your Kodak paper, so presumably any batch changes will not alter the colour of your photos.
I tried a similar test with a flyer and again found the quality was more to do with paper quality than inks, plain photo copy paper although exactable, paling in comparison to good quality paper and light card stock.
Printing from memory cards or sticks is a matter of just following the touch screen prompts to get what you want from individual prints to multi photo sheets
The scanning ability, is what you expect from a modern 3in1 printer (I used my own software to scan not the Kodak package) and works well as a stand alone copier.
With the inks being so cheap and not being used up any faster than my former Canon printer, I would recommend it for the general household printer use.
The only con is it seems slightly slower at printing colour images than my old Canon?

5.0 out of 5 stars Kodak Hero 7.1, 11 Nov 2011
My HP died while job hunting and I had to get something in a hurry. Cheap ink, duplex printing, and decent looks (for a printer) sold me on this one. Setup was quick and easy, document and photo print quality are great, as are the copies.
I would not hesitate to recommend this all in one printer to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Woeful product, 25 Oct 2012
Unreliable, poor print quality, cheap ink at face value.
It just doesn't add up to a sensible buy - AVOID

I only wish I had bought from Amazon rather than Currys as i would have returned it for a full refund and be printing on something with more expensive ink, but that actually printed ok.

Just getting the printhead replaced, so basically its the whole printer replaced in parts, - wasting my time and shredding my nerves in the process.

UPDATE 06/01/14

The printhead was replaced and things were better, for a while. But then I was back on the phone to India and in the end my white printer was replaced, except for the printhead that I had to transfer over from the original printer, by a black version. I've been running this version successfully ever since. So now I have the machine I was after in the first place. I'm running it with a Mac and a windows laptop and they communicate perfectly with good quality printing and low costs.

However, I still cannot recommend this product to others as the time and cost it took to get to where I am now is not worth it. lets hope they get the problems sorted so they work out of the box.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kodak's cheap ink is a con, 20 Jun 2012
Mr. R. D. Howell "Rob H" (Blackburn Lancashire) - See all my reviews
I bought this printer last year and am very disappointed. The cheap ink claim is a con. The ink cartridges may not cost much but last about ten minutes. The Brother printer that we had before was much more cost effective. The first printer we had was faulty and Kodak sent us a replacement but we are still not impressed. I won't be buying another Kodak printer

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 13 Aug 2012
We have owned the Kodak hero 7.1 for a few months now and it is constantly failing to print the quality expected!

I wouldnt say we re heavy printer users, however after constant ink head cleaning, head alignment and replacing cartridges, this printer still leaves stripes. We have tried a variety of papers, including Kodaks own paper and the pictures still come out flat in colour.

A very disappointing printer which we will be replacing

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, Waste of money, Waste of Resources, 2 Dec 2013
I bought this inkjet printer last year, because I was currently a student studying photography I thought the printer was going be great for what I need it for.

First impressions (out of the box) nice looking, modern feel, great "dual paper trays", very easy to setup via Wi-Fi (and cable via Ethernet), great looking interface and driver software. The "starter" ink seemed to last quite a long time, about 5 A4 vibrant photos and a few documents. The standard ink lasted a bit longer, but for the money I thought the ink was a good deal. Also the other great built in features such as lined paper and cloud printing are great.

However, and a very big however, 3 months down line, my ink levels appeared to drop for no apparent reason. I didn't really think about why this happening so I just brought more ink. It happened again so I opened the area where the ink and printhead is. I then switched off the machine, took out the print head and the head was smothered in ink, I thought this may have been normal but turns out it is not. I also dipped my finger in the place where the print head is suspended when the machine is off and the machine was probably about half a millimetre filled with ink. So I thought the print head was leaking when machine is off.

I took the printer to the store I bought it from (PC world, unfortunately). They happily took it in for testing and "sent it to Kodak to be fixed". Well 2 weeks later, all they done was replace the printhead, no software errors, no firmware errors, nothing, no information.
So I spent more money on ink. The print head still leaked so I emailed, phoned, and sent letters to Kodak. I got absolutely got nowhere, because apparently the printer has been "modified". A complete Joke, in the end I sold the printer for a fiver to a technology repair centre (they knew about the fault) because they wanted it for other parts.

All in all;

1) Do not buy a Kodak printer.

2) They are not cheap to run.

3) Total cost for my situation was about 300-350 within 6 months, the printer was 80 at the time, and I bought about 15 sets of ink.

4) If you want a decent printer buy a laser printer, however if you want to print photos print them professionally.

5) I have had my B&W laser printer for 3 months now, Perfect for documents; again just get your photos printed professionally. I've spent a total of 110 on my laser printer. I have only printed 400 pages and still running on the starter toner, I will write a review on it when I can.

3.0 out of 5 stars WARNING! -Doesnt work with XP 64, 23 Aug 2012
WARNING! -Doesnt work with XP 64. This isnt made clear in the description.

Shame really as it looked like a good machine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kodak hero 7.1, 11 Jan 2012
arrived quickly and good build quality. good results using the kodak all in one software but huge problems using windows7, refuses to print from office10 and browsers, finds printer but always says printer not ready, contacted kodak support but no replys, no mention of issue in help, although lots on forums

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy connection but let down by poor photo printing, 9 Jan 2012
I bought this printer to give me wireless printing facilities and provide a printer capable of printing good quality images to enter into photographic competitions, as well as general document printing.

Setup was easy - it connected to my wifi network very easily, following the instructions in the Getting Started Guide, and the printer worked fine from both PC and laptop. ***** for that bit!

But the print quality was very disappointing. Even on Kodak's own photo paper at maximum quality, colours were lifeless and dull and print speed was very slow (though that was less of a problem). Photos printed on other manufacturers' papers (Epson, Canon, Permajet) fared even worse. Even printing webpages and colour documents on plain paper showed dull colours and banding compared with the 4 year old Canon USB printer I had bought this Kodak to replace. So photo printing gets only * I'm afraid.

I have to say though that this printer's other features -- dual paper trays, double-sided printing and scanning, for example -- all worked well. **** for those.

Overall rating ** and I am returning this printer to Amazon, as cheap inks aren't enough of a reason for me to stay with Kodak...

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the Kodak Hero 7.1, 11 May 2012
I bought a Hero 7.1 in February 2012. The first printer could only be switched on and off using the mains switch. But all other functions worked perfectly. After about 45 minutes on the phone to Kodak call centre they agreed to replace it.

The replacement printer arrived within a couple of days. Unfortunately the on screen control buttons did not function. After a 30 minute call they agreed to replace the printer.

Printer three arrived and functioned perfectly.... hooray!

Then three months later it developed a problem printing using wireless. Initially the printer seemed to take several minutes to process and spool and print even for basic one page Word documents. Then it started giving communication errors.

To test the wireless signal I tried moving the printer to within one foot of the router with no success. I reloaded the software to reset the printer to default settings. Then got the printer to search for wireless networks and it could not find any at all. My computer and phone could detect six.

I spoke to the call centre again who are based in India. They were very polite and very helpful and asked me to perform a few tests and also using remote software tried to fix the problem. This took about 90 minutes. At the end of this they agreed to send me printer number four. I've not received it yet but based on past experience it probably won't work for long.

On the positive side when it does occasionally function correctly the print quality is good.

I bought the Kodak Hero 7.1 to take advantage of cheaper print cartridges but as I will probably have to buy a new printer once its out of guarantee its a false economy.

If you still want to buy one be prepared for long chats to the call centre.