4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good First Impression
I must admit my first impressions of the printer are very good.

Published on 12 Oct 2011 by Hunski

1.0 out of 5 stars Printer head problem
Published on 7 April 2012 by Neville

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good First Impression, 12 Oct 2011
Hunski (Haverhill, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kodak Hero 5.1 All-in-One WiFi Printer (Print, Copy, Scan) (Accessory)
I must admit my first impressions of the printer are very good.

I personally could not see a problem with the arm that props open the lid whilst changing the cartridges, (this works as the arm would on the bonnet of your car). I found this useful, (just handle it carefully). I do agree with the the previous reviewer on fitting the ink cartridges as you effectively have to fit the print head yourself and then load the cartridges. I was a little concerned that if I was too heavy handed these pieces might break. However, everything clicked into place, (again just be careful).

Once this was all done the system was pretty easy to set up. This is my first WiFi printer and I mistakenly thought I would need to connect direct to my computer. Not so!! It connects via your Broadband hub, which itself is not a problem, just make sure you have your hub security code available. I was up and running in about 15 minutes. The printer came with three 6" x 4" Kodak photo paper sheets, (highest paper spec of course!!!). I must say that I was very impressed with the photos this produced. The best quality print I've seen of any home printer (photo's or documents). The inks are only £20 to replace in total, so seemingly very cheap indeed.

Why only 4 stars? Well I'm not sure how many photos I will get out of the cartridges and only time will tell. Whilst, I am very impressed with the quality of the photo's, there is still a niggling thought in the back of my mind that it would be cheaper to print photo's at boots etc.

Nevertheless, if you do a lot of printing at home I really would recommend this printer. Kodak are certainly moving in the right direction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 29 Dec 2011
Have literally just put together my kodak hero 5.1 and my first impressions are that this is a good purchase. Set-up was pretty straight forward and took about 15 minutes to get out of the box, install and print my first photos. Picture quality of the photos is also very good, with excellent colour reproduction. All-in-all a very good printer and looking forward to using it more over the coming months. Having debated over whether to purchase a cannon pixma or a epson, the decision to try the kodak is looking to be a wise one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Set up is simplicity itself, 26 Dec 2011
I am by no means a computer savvy person. I normally renew my computer and associated equipment every four years so that should give you some indication of the level of skill and knowlege I have when it comes to computing. I guess I would update my equipment more often as I like new technology but it's the thought of having to set up and familiarize myself with new equipment that puts me off.

Today is the end of another four year cycle and with new laptop already up and running, it was time for a new printer. Having researched the market very briefly, I make no secret that the cheap ink was my main reason for buying this particular model. I agree with some reviews that the build quality is probably not in the same league as Canon or Epson but for the price I cannot complain.

I have read some of the reviews about the set up and I must say I am a bit surprised that some, whom I would guess are far more computer savvy than me have found it problematic? I was up and running in about 10 minutes. For me the set up of any computer related kit is the most anxiety provoking part of the process but with the Kodak Hero it was simplicity itself. I agree with another reviewer that the instructions are not exactly wordy but the diagrams are very detailed and there is also instructions that are easy to follow on the built in screen.

The printer head clips in easily and so does the cartridges. A reviewer has remarked about the fragility of the arm that supports the upper half of the printer when inserting the cartridges. Trust me, it is fine and perfectly formed for the job. You would have to be pretty heavy handed to cause any serious damage, so I would totally disregard any concerns you may have about the arm.

Once the printer is set up, its just a case of popping the disc into your PC and again follow the straightforward instructions. You have to wait a few minutes for the disc to fully install with the occasional click if you agree etc etc but its very straightforward. One tip that I should have mentioned earlier is to make sure you have your wireless key/code ready.

Thus far I am very happy with this printer. My review is really focused on the set up as I have only used it a few times but early indications are that other functions are excellent. Printing is not slow and the quality is very good indeed with the images being bright and very sharp.

Overall I think this is the best printer set up I have ever experienced and I would happily recommend the Kodak Hero 5.1 to all but the most sophisticated users.

ENJOY!

4.0 out of 5 stars Heroically straightforward, 25 Oct 2011
M. Harrison "Hamish" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Are printers now in the top ten most weary-inducing products to purchase? They are reliably unreliable, so buying one every two or three years now seems unavoidable. And it goes without saying they always break on a Friday evening just as you hit print on that job application or vital document that you must submit for Monday.

So one always finds oneself speed-reading Amazon reviews late at night for products that appear to do so much for the price it's a wonder they don't claim to print by telepathy too. And yet ratings all cluster around the 2 to 3 star area because, infallibly, half the reviewers have found that the thing does indeed print telepathically while using almost no ink and having the build quality of a Bentley; while the other half are writing their review on a mobile device while transporting their new purchase straight to the local municipal dump.

So, as you may be able to discern, I purchased this printer more in hope than expectation - the hope in this case being that if the damn thing happened to work, I'd get my money back in saved ink costs within a year.

I tried to get myself into a zen state by setting aside a whole morning of holiday, while the kids were in school, so that I could try to set it up, fail, swear, phone help lines, try again, settle for using USB rather than Wi-Fi, etc.

In fact the journey from box opening to printed document was just 30 minutes - leaving me with the rest of morning to fail at something else, but at least with the knowldge I had one triumph in the bank.

The printer comes with the usual wordless instructions - relying on the communicative power of illustration. Needless to say these illustrations don't precisely correspond with reality, but they do set you on a logic path which means you get there on your own painlessly. There are also many pictures in the instructions devoted to whether you have the right kind of router to configure simply, or whether you need to pause while you obtain a degree in computer science. But I just made the assumption that since my router is only about 18 months old, the simple option would probably work - and it did. It found my wireless router, asked me to enter the security password (or string as it quaintly calls it) via the clunky, but once-only, interface in the menu screen, and we had connection. I then loaded the CD for the software, clicked on the Mac OS version, since I am an Apple user, and the Kodak and I walked hand in hand into print heaven.

Print quality is sharp, clean and good. Speed is Ok, not remarkable. It's a little bit noisy, but it's also a little bit cheap, so paupers can't be choosers. Just two ink cartridges - one for B&W and one for colour - is a delight, and they are indeed very cheap: around a third of the cost of my previous HP printer, depending on how good a discount I could get online.

Couple of minor grumbles. First, the build quality is OK but no more - particularly the hilariously retro plastic arm which holds the printer open when inserting print cartridges. Much like a 1950s Morris Minor bonnet - although that at least was metal. Second, once up and running, you can go online to register to the Kodak site, which activates all the groovy monitoring and maintenance of the printer. But it also invites you to download the software again on the grounds that what you have is out of date. No idea if it is; but why not just make the whole process online and drop the disk?

Finally, I have gone through the process of getting the printer's own email address, and successfully printed directly from an iPhone (just follow the instructions in the handbook - which are words not pictures - and it is very simple). This is pretty damn close to the telepathy function. Can't think when I'll ever use it; but I guess when I do, it'll know before me.

5.0 out of 5 stars kodak hero 5.1, 18 Nov 2011
Mr. A. Powell (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
I purchased the Kodak Hero because it is wi-fi and it was recommended to me, the inks seem to be cheaper than the Epson that I used to have although i cannot say by how much as i have not used it very much. I am very impressed with the quality of the printing, photos are excellent. the printer is quite noisey in during start up, but once running it is fine. For a reasonably priced printer with much cheaper inks it is undoubtedly best value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Buy Printer, 15 Nov 2011
I purchased the Kodak Hero because it is wi-fi and the inks are cheaper than the Epson that I also have. I am very impressed with the quality of the printing, photos are good too. For a very reasonably priced printer with much cheaper inks it is undoubtedly best value. Great one for homework too!

1.0 out of 5 stars Printer head problem, 7 April 2012
I have had this printer for only three months and probably only printed six pages in total. I now need a new printer head. This is problem I had with previous a Kodak printer a couple of years ago when I had three printer heads in a year. I thought this problem would have been resolved by now, but obviously not. Might be cheaper ink, but not reliable. Look at the forums on Kodak printer heads, I wish I had.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst printer ever?, 25 April 2013
The Kodak 5.1 has been a pain since I bought it. It lasted 10 months before jamming and becoming completely stuck. Replaced with a reconditioned one that made a terrible howling noise. Replaced again with another terrible reconditioned unit that instantly had blocked magenta cartridge. Ink consumption is Olympic gold medallist, it drinks a set of inks at least in a month for medium use when it worked. (I am a teacher - print out lesson plans etc). This has broken down so many times, thank god I kept my old Epson stylus (8 years old, never tired out, I had just wanted a wireless model and scanner).
What utter rubbish Kodak has made. I bought it for £99, have spent £300+ on ink in a year. (Colour and black is around £25 a throw, and you'll need to buy extra blacks) It is now going straight in the bin. I am going to buy a canon, which I have at school, and has been faithful and fault free for 7 years.

By the way, scanner? Why does it not work if you run out of ink??????? Durrrrrrrr! Nonsense! Photo quality? Oh please!

Shame on you Kodak, this is cheap rubbish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up and use, 7 Mar 2012
Frenz (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
First off I don't see the problem with the by now legendary arm: Lift the top scan/copy assembly and the arm extends into the recess. Move the arm out of the recess to close the assembly. That's about it and much more secure than some other printers without such a support.

Assembly is easy following the instructions in the printed sheet and on the LCD display. This involves installing the printer head and the ink cartridges by pushing them in until they click into place. I'm not new to installing ink cartridges so I supported the print head while installing them. This was just a case of safety first and not a requirement. When it came to loading paper and calibration the printed illustration dropped a clanger and pointed to the OK button to press whereas the LCD screen instruction said to press the Start button. It is in fact the start button with the right facing green arrow which is pressed at this stage. Careful when lifting the copy tray when installing the paper making sure it clicks or otherwise it will drop down with a clatter.

On to wirelessly connecting to the wireless router which was the easiest I've yet experienced. A list of available wireless networks was displayed on the LCD screen, I selected mine, entered the key using direction arrows and OK button to input to the keyboard on the LCD screen et voila connected!

The last stage is to install the software on all computers which will be using the printer which was easy to do: First is the registration screen folowed by the software finding the printer and installing the windows driver. Launching the Kodak Home Centre first displayed a pop-up to print a sample of a "Print Projects" photo using the included photo paper and to download the "Print Projects" software which I didn't do at this time. The Home Centre provides options to copy, scan and print in a variety of guises including 3D. What isn't there is a photo editing app but that might be in the "Print Projects" software. But I'm not at all bothered about that because I got one with my camera. Printing from the computer display such as an email or a web page is just a matter of File > Print.

At the age of 61 and having a computer since the Sinclair ZX81 I've had a lot of computers and a lot of printers over the years but no printer this easy to set up and use. Wireless means that I don't need my network printer sitting next to my router in the lounge which is a bonus and duplex printing saves paper for common printing tasks!

Overall the Kodak Hero 5.1 gets my 5 stars without reservation and should be on everyone's shopping list.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy this printer, repeat, do NOT buy this printer, 16 April 2012
Where to start. Wifi. Didn't work - I spent an age going back and forth with Kodak helpdesk trying to get it sorted out. Got it sorted it out. Then it stopped working again. Now connected by wire.

When you are out of colour ink, you can not print in black and white, even if you set printing to black and white - and vice versa.

If you are out of ink, you can not scan. Er. If you are out of ink, you can not scan. But. Isn't scanning done digitally? Without ink? Yes, it is. But, you can't scan if you are out of ink.

Oh, last one, I promise - I bought this one as I was assured that Kodak supplies the cheapest ink cartridges. That's as maybe, but you have to do your printing really quickly after putting the cartridges in the printer, as they run out of ink so quickly. Not that quickly, obviously - I'm letting off steam now - however, I don't actually do a great deal of printing at home (work are very kind) and yet it's always running out. Which means no scanning. Did I say that already?

Don't do it. Get something else.