4.0 out of 5 stars Great product.
My Intel stock cooler was doing a terrible job so I wanted to get a new cooler to cool down my CPU as it was getting really hot whilst gaming, close to 90c.

I didn't want to go through the trouble of taking my motherboard out just to fit in a fan. I wanted something that would just clip in and do the job since I'm going to be running at stock speeds with turbo...
Published on 26 Aug. 2012 by KM

2.0 out of 5 stars Broke after a week. (Probs a one off)
Broke after a week of about 4 hours in use, Probs a one-off but still annoying was alright when in use with my CPU being at 27 degrees would recommend the Arctic Cooler fans though bought one last month to replace it and straight away was a lot quieter and the CPU went down to a cool 19 degrees..
Published on 30 Mar. 2013 by Lewis

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality budget CPU cooler., 17 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Akasa AK-CC7117EP01 K32 High Performance Intel Cooler for LGA775, LGA1156 and LGA1155 (Accessory)
This is a great product to use as an alternative to a stock heatsink - which I would recommend doing whether you are going to overclock or not. I use it with an i7-4770k chip which it doesn't state it supports, but I have had no problems with it whatsoever, thus far (if I do, I will edited this review).

The fan is noticeably larger than the ones on the stock Intel heatsink, so make sure you have enough space to install it. It also comes with pre-applied thermal paste, which was a nice touch.

Please, please, please make sure you fit the cooler correctly, this device uses the Intel style plastic push pins, and are easy to get wrong and the temperature difference will be 55 - 60° under full load for a correct fit vs. over 100° for a poor fit. The little black pins should all be visible from between the middle of the translucent pins on the opposite side of the motherboard. And it will be sturdy. Re-check to make sure this is still the case if you begin to get temperature fluctuations and as a rule of thumb every 3 - 4 months - 5 minutes to check is worth it compared to having to shell out to replace a possibly fried cpu and motherboard.

The pins are primed right out of the box so all you need to do is push them on the motherboard to lock them into place (push the two opposite at the same time, then the other opposite two), if like me you didn't get the contact right the first time, turn each pin in the direction of the arrow and them remove. Re-priming these pins is a finicky job, make sure you push each pin anti-clockwise to re-prime (against the arrowed markings) before you try again.

My only gripe is that the mount pins are quite loose on the metal feet of the cooler, so you need to make an extra effort to ensure all individual pins are through the mounting holes on the motherboard before you click it into place.

This is a great little budget cpu cooler that is significantly better than the current stock coolers being sold, there are more expensive ones that can get the job done better maybe, but I really can't see anything of this quality for such a low price out there right now. Seriously replacing your stock cooler and consider picking this up if you aren't going to be stressing your cpu too much (i.e. overclocking) but still want good temperatures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big fan, great cooling, 31 Dec. 2012
I bought this fan when I swapped out my old Asrock P5LD2-V mobo for a replacement Asrock P5D-BE mobo. (I figured I would replace the stock Intel P4 fan with a new one for better cooling while I had the thing in bits, and at this price, well...)

i find this fan to be NO noisier than my old CPU fan. Note, you can set in the BIOS a temperature threshold below which the fan speed is lower. I have this set so that when my CPU is below 55 deg C, the fan runs at fanspeed 6 (on a scale of 0 to 9, 9 being fastest). To be honest, I'm not sure the noise difference is all that, but the rpm does show as being lower.

In my review, I give this fan 4/5 stars as I felt the need to replace the pre-applied thermal paste with my own separately purchased paste (Arctic Silver 5). On the first installation of this fan/heat-sink, the CPU temperature ran up past 65 deg C (it was climbing still as I turned the PC off!). Now, whether this was because I didn't have the fan/heat-sink unit sat correctly on the CPU, or because the paste applied at factory was not up to scratch, I don't know. But with the Arctic 5 paste applied, my P4 3.2 GHz runs under normal Windows XP load at about 45 deg C. I am very happy with this.

Lastly, the instructions are clear on installation, but I still struggled!

So, my advice is:
1. Seat the unit on the CPU, and locate the 4 plastic push-pins into each of the 4 mobo holes.
2. Ensure that the black 90 deg-turn fixing screws are turned fully anti-clockwise to their stopping-points (i,e, in the direction of the 'turn' arrows on each one).
3. Push down each of the black fixing screws firmly, one at a time, until you hear/feel a solid 'click'. Do one, then the diagonal opposite, then repeat for the other two. (Be careful not to bend/flex your mobo too much.)
4. Each of the 4 black fixing screws should be solid and not moving, and the fan/heat-sink unit should have no movement/play in it. If one of the screws is still lose, turn it 90 deg anti-clockwise and push down again.

I made the mistake in assuming that the screws should be rotated clockwise, THEN you push down and turn clockwise (like a locking screw when you assemble furniture). They need to be turned in the direction of the arrow on each one, THEN pushed down.

In summary, good solid kit, great price, fairly quiet, but the pre-applied thermal paste may not be up to scratch. I would buy another. 4/5 stars from me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible noise, 24 Feb. 2013
I bought this on the strength of the reviews recommending it for being efficient and quiet and just couldn't believe the volume noise it churned out. Tried reducing its speed which only had marginal effect and gave up on it as I found myself using another computer rather than facing the mind numbing din. I bought a Gelid Tranquillo instead, which I already use in another PC, and it is virtually silent. Now just the sound of the Fractal case fans to slightly distract, which are slightly louder than I would prefer but really nothing major.

5.0 out of 5 stars This fan is a breeze to install!, 5 Dec. 2013
I'm fully satisfied with this fan after over a year of almost continuous useage. It was easy to install, using the supplied instructions and he benefit of having the heat sink paste pre-applied. Just push and click, really! Just remember to get all the PC leads out of the way (especially the fan leads!). The black and white plastic fixing pins (generally) can be fragile to manipulate later on so I would advise everyone to take care to be 'right first time' with the fitting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job perfectly, 14 Nov. 2012
If, like me, you're simply looking to replace a dodgy stock CPU fan, and you aren't looking for any fancy features that cost more money, then you can't do better than this piece. I've had a mid-range PC for about two and a half years, and for a week or so it had been extremely noisy. There was a horrible grating noise coming from the case, and I quickly worked out that it was the fan. I needed to replace it. This fan looked sturdy and people in a similar situation to myself had bought it, so I did the same.

One important thing to note - it does kick up a fuss when your PC is under load. What I recommend is to get a thermal paste cleaner (Akasa do their own brand) and some new thermal compound (I personally prefer Arctic Silver 5) and replace the compound that comes with this cooler. It's an extra cost, but you use so little of both that you'll probably never have to buy either again. After a few days, when the compound has had a chance to settle, you'll notice the fan is much quieter under load. It's not silent by any stretch of the imagination, but when I play games I tend to block out noise around me.

All in all, best value item I think I've ever bought from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain., 12 May 2013
I bought this cpu cooler after my 4 year old liquid cooler broke and I couldn't be bothered to faff around with another costly water cooler. For a tenner I wasn't expecting too much but I can tell you with complete confidence that at stock speeds and voltages it performs superbly with anything I throw at it. I own a QX6850 at 3 Ghz and it only overheats if I try to overclock it. Other than that it's fine.
I removed the stock pre-applied thermal paste and bought a tube of MX-4 arctic thermal compound for about 3 quid.
Fitting was a doddle with the push in clips although I think the fittings feel a little flimsy but they hold it in place well enough.
For a mere tenner I can't complain though. Crysis is running at max. res. with all the shiny stuff on thanks to my GTX660Ti gfx card.
Some reviews talk about fan noise but when I'm sitting at my P.C. I'm either shooting stuff, watching guitar videos or listening to Black Sabbath albums which drowns out the fan noise so I simply don't notice it.
If you've got a stock Intel cooler and want a bit of extra oomph without the expense then this is about as good as you can get.
Bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was obviously not a good thing. After installing the new cooler idle temperature ..., 6 Feb. 2015
I was replacing an LGA775 4300 Dual Core CPU with a QX6800 Extreme Quad Core.

When using the stock cooler I pinched from the 4300 I was getting idle temperatures of around 65C with games in the mid to late 80's centigrade. Prime 95 and the temps could go up to 100C!

This was obviously not a good thing.

After installing the new cooler idle temperature is around the 45C mark with games in the mid 60's to early 70's.

Watching Netflix is now mid 50's to to early 60's whereas before it was in the early 70s...quite acceptable.

One mistake I did initially make was to split the CPU fan with a rear extractor fan, this halved the RPM of the CPU FAN down to around 1400 rpm and thus the cooling was not as effective.

After correcting this the temperatures were as described, for the price it is substantially better than a stock cooler but make sure you look at your entire system in terms of air flow, fan rpm's etc. to make get the most out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very quiet, cheap and very effective, best £11 spent in a while!, 28 Oct. 2012
Got this product to replacing aging original Intel Stock LGA775 cooler which was making my life sat in the same room as my PC a misery.

Stock fan even set on 'Quiet' in BIOS tended to run at 2500RPM and CPU temp was uncomfortably high at 60-70C for an older Intel Core 2 6400 running at stock 2.13Ghz .

After replacement with this Akasa AK-CC7117EP01 could barely hear the fan with the case open and most sound with case closed is from my almost silent 80mm rear case fan so very happy with sound levels. With same BIOS setting it tends to run at 1850RPM and CPU temp is now 20-30C! Feel soo sorry for my CPU roasting at double those levels before.

As other's have mentioned install was very simple and all done from front of motherboard with no need to remove it from the case. I cleaned off old thermal paste, but did use pre-applied paste included with this fan and all went simply and easily.

Definately the best £11 I've spent in a long time! :D

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Noisy!, 7 Oct. 2013
I know you really need to spend more than this for a CPU that lives up to its claims, but I thought this would at least be on par with the stock fan which began to get noisy after the bearings went.

The CPU and motherboard temp is actually hotter than with the stock fan and now my front room sounds like a server room!

1.0 out of 5 stars cooler failed after 1 year 1 week, with a total structural failure of push pins., 28 Oct. 2014
Original review from a few weeks ago below the break.

WOAH WOAH WOAH

Lemme just retract that 5 star review , and change it to a 1.

Its pretty much a low bar i set for a cooler. if it works i will give a 4.

After a year and 1 week, both top pushpins failed completely pulling the cooler off the processor at an angle. I AM LITERALLY SLACK JAWED by this. Needless to say thats pretty unacceptable. i would give 0 if i could.

...................................................................................

Review caveat.

This review is based on instillation over a core i5 3450

Easy installation, as you would expect.

In terms of noise, it runs very quietly with little distraction.

In terms of performance, it pulled me from a stock cooler idle of 40 degrees down to 27 , which is damn good for the price.d

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›