on 26 August 2012
My Intel stock cooler was doing a terrible job so I wanted to get a new cooler to cool down my CPU as it was getting really hot whilst gaming, close to 90c.

I didn't want to go through the trouble of taking my motherboard out just to fit in a fan. I wanted something that would just clip in and do the job since I'm going to be running at stock speeds with turbo enabled, so I don't really need any serious cooling. That's one of the reasons why I bought it.

When it arrived I was surprised, the build quality is actually really good.
Which I was not expecting.

So I went ahead and opened it up, I removed the pre-applied thermal paste (As a good thermal paste definitely makes a difference) and applied MX-4 to the CPU.

Make sure you turn the pins in the opposite direction of the arrows beforehand or else they won't click in. (As it also says in the manual).

I simply placed it on-top of the CPU, fit it in place and just pushed the pins in. (Remember to ALWAYS make sure you feel a click or you hear one, or else it could mean you haven't fit it properly and then you'll be wondering why you're getting such high temps.)

Installation was super easy.

The problem I encountered was that my temps were a little high, around 45c. But after some research, I found out that the thermal paste needs some time to "cure", like set into place. After a couple days the temps dropped from 45c to 40c and then now they're around 33-38c degrees idle. The manufacturer who makes MX-4 (The thermal paste I used) Say that it can take from 100-200 hours for the thermal paste to cure. So don't start taking your computer apart straight away if you're not getting the best temps. (It also depends on what kind of thermal paste you're using, as MX-4 is quite a thick paste, whilst others may not need a lot of time to cure). Just be sure to use a good quality thermal paste if you want the best temps.

So yeah, I would definitely recommend this cooler, as long as you're not going to be doing any overclocking.

Whilst gaming, the temps stay pretty cool around 60-68c.

Here's a quick comparison between the Akasa and Intel stock cooler.

Stock Idle: 48c-55c
Akasa Idle: 33c-39c

Stock gaming (Battlefield 3): 80-87c
Akasa gaming (Battlefield 3): 60-68c

So yeah, the Akasa is doing a pretty good job.

The fan is fairly quiet, but when you're using more CPU, it gets louder (Which is pretty obvious, as it needs to spin faster to keep the temps down.) but it's fine, it's not too loud where it gets annoying.

Hope this helps someone.
on 4 June 2014
Replaced the stock cooler on an i5 Haswell. My computer runs 24/7 and the stock fan (around 6 months old) developed a very slight hum. Cleaning the dust from the fan & heat sink didn't help any so this was ordered as a cheap replacement for a non-overclocked work / games computer.

While significantly bigger than the stock fan, the overall footprint is similar and caused no problems with fit or ram clearance. Load temperatures decreased by around 8c and noise is minimal under load and whisper quiet at idle (assuming you set your bios defaults to quiet of course).

Perfect for the price!
review image review image review image
on 19 February 2012
This is exactly as the 2 previous reviews describe. It made a big difference to my HTPC with keeping the noise down, can hardly hear it. I'm using it on my ASUS P67 M/B which also controls the speed. Easy to install pop it in the holes and turn to lock thats it!. The price too was very good. Great buy. Thanks to the previous reveiwers which helped me to purchase this fan.
on 26 April 2012
The fan is a dream to fit, so compliments there.

The fan runs my i5 processor as if it were stone cold, so more compliments.

However, it is audible but millions of times better than the fan that was on my old AMD. It has a dB level which is just above the fan noise on my PS3 - MK1. It becomes more audible when the CPU is underload and accelerates the fan RPM but again, it is not so much of a worry.

The thing is, I wouldnt know which fan runs the most quieter, except to say this fan, once installed and the MOBO and system parameters are tuned up, it runs fine. I was disappointed when I first switched on and thought "what a racket"! However, as I say, once the whole system is set up and the CPU and MOBO are working in harmony the thermal properties are most regulated and the fan calms down nicely. In fact, I like a little fan noise when working along, as it feels therapeutic in some mad way. However, there is fan noise and FAN NOISE!!! YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN??!! ;o)

One way or the other it is perfectly tolerable and unless someone can point me to a fan that is 100% inaudible and not liquid cooled-based, then I have no problem with this fan and especially at the price. I'm happy enough.

M.
on 30 March 2013
Broke after a week of about 4 hours in use, Probs a one-off but still annoying was alright when in use with my CPU being at 27 degrees would recommend the Arctic Cooler fans though bought one last month to replace it and straight away was a lot quieter and the CPU went down to a cool 19 degrees..
on 28 May 2012
Installation was easy. Like really easy. Four click and it's in. It's not a huge amount bigger than the (substandard) stock cooler from Intel, but still it manages to maintain my quad core at a steady 25 degrees, even in the heat. As a reference, my cpu averaged 45 degrees in the same heat with the stock cooler. And this one is quiet too.

Incidentally, I bought an arctic freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 before this one and broke it trying to install it. It was really badly made, with a very flimsy plastic frame and instructions that require you to apply force to the frame to fit it. On top of that, the fan didn't work. Stick with this Akasa. It's much better. And cheaper.
on 17 October 2013
Extremely noisiy, unusable for home PCs, might fine for server-like computer hidden somewhere far away. I replaced it with cheap Intel fan that is much more silent.
on 30 June 2014
Great to install, and reduced the temperatures I was running at by 10c. In hindsight, maybe should have put some professional thermal compound on. The compound that comes ready applied does it's job, but I suspect I would have got better performance with a different compound. However, for this price, you can't grumble. In fact, it was quicker installing the fan onto the motherboard than it was breaking into the plastic cover it game in.
on 28 October 2014
Original review from a few weeks ago below the break.

WOAH WOAH WOAH

Lemme just retract that 5 star review , and change it to a 1.

Its pretty much a low bar i set for a cooler. if it works i will give a 4.

After a year and 1 week, both top pushpins failed completely pulling the cooler off the processor at an angle. I AM LITERALLY SLACK JAWED by this. Needless to say thats pretty unacceptable. i would give 0 if i could.

...................................................................................

Review caveat.

This review is based on instillation over a core i5 3450

Easy installation, as you would expect.

In terms of noise, it runs very quietly with little distraction.

In terms of performance, it pulled me from a stock cooler idle of 40 degrees down to 27 , which is damn good for the price.d
on 30 August 2013
Using the stock cooler I used to get idle temps of 41c minimum.

Using this cooler i get 35-38 at idle although it does spike up sometimes to 45 or below even when its completely idle.

The fan its self is very loud unless you turn it down in your BIOS which can easily be done, even at level 10 speed it doesn't cool down my CPU any better than it does at level 3 (which it is set too now due to the loudness).

Using the stock cooler i would get temps of 70c on my CPU whilst playing BF3. Using this fan it doesn't go over 64c, some would say its a bit high but my I5-3470 tCase value is 67c so its all good..

Honest opinion I wish I had gotten a cooler for around £30 but if your short on cash and need a fast simple solution (easy to install btw) id recommend this, it's a lot better than a stock cooler.