5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect!
I bought the optical caddy to replace the DVD Drive from my Asus M50VM with an HDD.
This item was just perfect for that. It was easy to install, and I could replace event the front cover of this caddy with the cover of the dvd drive, the universal snaps were spot on.

Overall I could be more satisfied with this purchase.
Published 15 months ago by jpsfs

3.0 out of 5 stars Better alternative: Icy Box IB-AC642 Adapter
Although this bay is around 5 cheaper, for those who would like to still be able to use their optical disk drive (ODD) via USB later on the Icy Box is the better alternative.

Icy Box IB-AC642 Adapter for 2.5 inch SSD/HDD Laptop Extension for Slim DVD Bay and Slim DVD External Enclosure
Published 14 months ago by Labour Party

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect!, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Akasa N Stor 2.5 inch Slimline SATA Optical Disk SATA HDD Adapter (Accessory)

Overall I could be more satisfied with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pproduct, 1 Nov 2013
Easy to install, my SSD fitted inside nice and snug, worked a treat for my laptop no problems at all.

Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars tnx for support, 9 Sep 2013
All members that helped me on support side wore great and very friendly, I was unable to rate everyone ...sadly...
But I wish that all those who helped me from support side to get a positive feedback from my side :)
The product works well and meet my req.

5.0 out of 5 stars very pleased., 3 Jun 2013
has enhanced the function of my computer, has all the features that I need and does everything it promises. Thanks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable, 17 Mar 2013
This item says suitable for 9.5mm
No it isn't as the unit itself measures 12.3mm

Would do a job if 12mm required but oif no use for the 9.3mm units.

Badly described and i would say, knowingly so.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better alternative: Icy Box IB-AC642 Adapter, 29 Jan 2013
Labour Party (Capitalist Society) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars good product, 20 Dec 2012
i'm very happy with this product. it worked just as intended. it feels well built. i have had no problems with it. I now have 2 HDD's in my laptop, with lots of storage. great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome upgrade to any laptop, 24 Nov 2012
Mr. H. N. Lone "hlone" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace the DVD drive of my laptop with an SSD..... this is THE most impressive upgrade you can do and the performance benefits have to be seen to be believed... my only gripe is that it doesn't come with screws to secure the hard drive... easily solved though as hard drive screws are ten a penny

My only advice is that you put the original spindle based hard drive in this caddy and place the SSD in the normal hard drive slot... that way you don't have to change the boot settings once you have installed windows on the SSD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, 26 Oct 2012
This product answered my expectations! I'm now using it in my Toshiba A300-1M1 laptop, with its factory HDD. I bought a new SSD for the laptop and I didn't wanted to waste the HDD.
The adapter worked out of the box with my Arch Linux Distribution. I presume that the same will happen with Windows 7.

I only had one small tiny problem. The plastic front panel of the adapter, had to be modded so it could fit perfectly in the optical drive by of the Toshiba A300-1M1. I only cut a small piece of the corner of the plastic shield, from the HDD adapter without any kind of side effects. The modified plastic panel fitted right back into the bay, since none of the plastic supports were damage. I easily done this with a small wire-cutter. I repeat, I ONLY MODDED THE PLASTIC SHIELD FROM THE ADAPTER, NOT THE ADAPTER ITSELF.

Great product!

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid if you want it easy, 22 Oct 2012
The adapter works but it is of terrible build quality, which causes a LOT of problems.

When it first arrived I had trouble fitting the HDD in, but I managed to do that.
But the whole adapter would not fit the optical disk slot.
After disassembling the adapter I figured out that it was poorly manufactured in that the screw holes that hold the internal adapter chip in place were not aligned well and that caused misalignment between the adapter chip and the connector in my laptop optical disk slot.
What I had to do to get this to work was to open up my laptop (Dell inspiron 7520) case (which isn't really something that is done very quickly or easily, especially for someone who is not very tech savvy) put the outer case of the adapter in the slot, and then assemble the adapter inside my computer so that the connectors could be aligned properly. After that the adapter was assembled inside the laptop itself and the laptop was closed.. hey... IT WORKS..
Too bad it took around 30 mins to get it working.

Not to mention that if I want to take the adapter with the HDD out for some reason I would have to disassemble the whole thing, open up my laptop and do the whole lengthy process again.

Oh and once it is it it rattles when the laptop is moved (meaning that it does not fit snugly in the slot).

And the outer cover from the original cd/dvd drive for the laptop does not fit well at all - one of the slots for it seems misaligned as well.

I hope it was only my particular product that was this crappy, but you never know.

I would just like to say that I would avoid this at all costs... unless it is the only working adapter on earth.
As for myself... I am looking for another adapter and regretting the purchase.

ARRAY(0x9db051b0)