Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 August 2012
The first thing I wanna say about Example is say he's an incredible lyricist. Most rappers just rap about `b**ches' or other rubbish that means nothing. Example talks about his life, tells us stories & successfully manages to make it all flow without using any lyric that doesn't fit (well, maybe "Stick around, yeah like Elastoplast" is the exception that proves the rule...) With Playing In The Shadows Example switches from rap to singing every few lines and this is something I love. He has a very strong London accent and this gives character to his songs, making them instantly recognisable. `Anything' is a beautifully crafted song, it presents his ultimate vulnerability with lyics like "Will I ever find another girl as beautiful and kind?". The melody is very catchy and set to an acoustic guitar accompaniment which is so contrasting to his usual heavy drum beats and distortion. `Midnight Run' is another fantastic hit from Playing In The Shadows as its synths and warped bass are topped with a hook so strong you can't help being pulled in. Example is charm personified and it shines right through this latest album. Not usually one for rap, Example is my guilty pleasure.
on 31 July 2012
I purchased this album on the basis of the reviews that you guys had written and I have to admit that I was surprised by its content. Playing in the Shadows is an album that you may not be tempted to buy but my advice to you today is be tempted as you will not be disappointed!...... Like it , Love it.
on 9 May 2012
My family is from the UK but I'm Irish breed, born in USA so traveling over to UK most of my life alot of what music comes out of europe I love. I'd recently dabbled into the Dubstep scene but soooo many of the artists it was just bleeps and heavy bass. then I stumbled onto NERO and liked a lot of their tracks but not enough to buy the album...then Youtube showed me Example, Midnight Run. I gave it a go and have not looked back since. I LOOOOVE Example. He does what most artists I like (ie Prodigy, Linkin Park, Bloc Party) he blends different styles into one intoxicating drink of music. Everything from trance (sounds like Ferry Corsten style synths) to Dubstep or breakbeat or 2step, to house to even downtempo tracks like "Microphone" which would easily play on radio here in the USA. I cannot wait to hear what else Example has coming- especially with upcoming albums that could be available in the USA.
Keep up the good work Lad. Cheers
on 28 February 2012
I Love this album it is brilliant and by far Examples best! I totally recomend you buy this.

There is a mixture of rap, pop, dance, trance, house and even R and B.

It is brilliant for listening to wherever you are, especially on a long road trip, becuase there is lots of brilliant catchy songs you can repeatedly listen to, to ensure there is no bordem!!!!

It is well worth the money and should cost more, because it is that amazing!!!

I am a huge fan of Example but I can ensure not so big fans will fall in love with this album too!!!

So to conclude GET this album by "Mr eg" it is magnificant!!!!
on 11 October 2011
I liked Example before, and bought this album on the strength of "Changed The Way You Kiss Me". What a fantastic surprise of an album - there's not a duff track on it. My new fave tracks currently are "Midnight Run" and "Natural Disaster". Each track seems to have its own story to tell, and I'm a sucker for sad breakup stories.... Just love this album, and it's going to be playing in my car for a long time yet.
on 10 June 2013
I normally don't give music like this the time of day but I couldn't resist example! I fell in love with kickstarts when I was hearing it on the radio but then when I heard the famous "changed the way you kissed me" I was hooked!
The albums pretty eclectic. some songs feature soft rap, which I have to say sound amazing with his British accent. The other ones are normal singing and most have the great dance rhythm behind. My favourite and its probabally as the style is just so different to everything on the album is the last song "Lying to yourself" I love the simplicity of his voice and the piano.
The lyrics are pretty romantic in a lot of his songs and others are about clubbing and whatnot.
I want to try more of his music out too I definatley want my own copy of his song kickstarts.
Hope this helps ya. :)
on 6 October 2011
I was really excited about this album after I discovered Example a few months ago. I'm from the U.S. so buying from Amazon was just about the only way for me to obtain this album. I absolutely loved everything on "Won't Go Quietly" and I was expecting more or less the same thing on "Playing in the Shadows". But that's not entirely what you get. I wasn't sure if I liked it when I listened to it for the first time, it's definitely different from his last album. I'm still not sure if I'm happy with it or not. "Midnight Run", "We Never Had A Day", "Natural Disaster", "Stay Awake", and "Changed The Way You Kissed Me", are my favorites. The other songs are still growing on me. It's still a really good album, it's just good in a different way.
on 14 February 2013
I am still playing this some 10 months after purchase and don't have a favourite song as they are all so good...So different...What is he Dance? Pop? Rock? Indie? Hip Hop? Such an accomplished varied performer!! Bravo!!
on 3 October 2011
What an amazing album. There is not one song on here that I didnt love, something which ive never known on any album. Its hard to pick my favourites, but I have to say Changed The Way You Kiss Me, Midnight Run, Stay Awake and Skies Dont Lie are absolutely PHENOMENAL! Wow! Ive always been an Example fan but he has really gone one step further with this album. After buying myself a copy, I brought one for my dad and my sister for their birthdays, and they both have loved this album as much as I did. BUY IT!!
on 16 December 2011
I do like Example, especially after seeing him perform live (immense)...but I have to say I'm not a fan of the unreleased tracks on this album. I'd suggest downloading Stay Awake, Changed The Way You Kiss Me and Midnight Run and leaving the rest of the album alone.