5.0 out of 5 stars Simply outstanding!!
Having been an Evanescence fan since the early days I shall attempt to keep this as unbiased as possible!!

Published on 15 Nov 2011 by Shadden29

3.0 out of 5 stars Five years in the making, good but not great...
Evanescence are a bit of an enigma for me. I loved their debut album, I felt they lost their way a little with "The Open Door," and now their self titled third album still leaves me with mixed emotions.
Numerous line up changes haven't helped the band and the mainstream musical market has moved on somewhat since "Bring Me To Life" dominated radio, charts and sales in...
Published on 10 Oct 2011 by Mr. N. J. Henderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply outstanding!!, 15 Nov 2011
This review is from: Evanescence (Audio CD)

Comparing this album to both Fallen and The Open Door, it feels like more of the same yet light years different. For fans like myself the similarity and continuity of the theme is welcome, why change something that works so well? However, the tracks penned on this album take the Evanescence 'essence', if you will, to a completely different level. If i was to be brutally honest there are some tracks on Fallen and TOD that are not so memorable. This album is a rarity in that i can listen to all of it and am still left wanting more by track 16...its simply a cut above and a testament to the bands writing ability. You can feel the emotion in the vocals on every track and the band do a fantastic job of getting the musical aspects spot on also.
I was lucky enough to see Evanescence in concert in Glasgow recently promoting this album. I have to say that hearing these tracks live is another experience altogether...truly memorable and something that will stay with me forever.

Evanescence' style is varied and they can pull off slow, haunting songs as well as belt out the really strong ones with absolute credibility unlike some other rock bands who can only do one particular style i.e. hard. Their versatility is a credit to them!

In summary, a fantastic album in its entirety with well written, well delivered tracks which take Evanescence back to the top where they belong. Buy this album...seriously, you will NOT be disappointed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 12 Jun 2012
I didn't really know what to expect after reading some of the negative comments on here. I'm glad I never paid any attention to them!!

It is everything that I was hoping for..
The unmistakable harmonies from Amy Lee are as good as ever.
There is a good mix of heavy and soft/slow songs.
Every track leaves me wanting more.

I am very happy and think it is a very good release.

Well done guys :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly fast-paced and powerful, 31 Oct 2011
This review is from: Evanescence (Audio CD)
I'm surprised at some of the more negative comments here.

This is a great album. It's very upbeat, while still keeping the melancholic theme that we know from other Evanescence albums.

Also, this sounds like a band, not Amy Lee, a guitarist and a producer like on Open Door. Good, meaty guitars, and well-placed electronic bits. Very nice.

The musicians seem to play with much more freedom and energy than Ben Moody and co, and although I love Fallen, this album just has more energy. I must admit, I cringed at the "hello, hello, remember me" lyric that every band seems to add to a comeback album/first song, but the rest of the song, and the rest of the album stands up excellently.

16 songs too, so you get your money's worth after waiting five years!

I've listened to this album a few times now, and every single time I get to track 16 wondering why the album has ended so soon. That's the sign of a real winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, 18 Mar 2012
Matthew Turner "loyalroyal" (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evanescence (Audio CD)
I got this as a present and I listen to it everyday. I never used to be an Evanescence fan, having only recently got into them over the last year or so, so their previous albums and singles somewhat passed me by. Being an Evanescence newbie I'm not going to get into a debate as to whether this latest album is better or worse than 'Fallen' or 'The Open Door'. Personally I like all of them and should be enjoyed in their own right.

For me, the first four tracks on this album are by far the strongest, with 'My Heart is Broken' being pick of the bunch - the singing by Amy Lee is beautiful and mesmorising, as usual. 'Made of Stone' runs it a close second. The album shows the band's skill at performing and playing different types and pace of music - all with success.

In short, this is a must for Evanescence fans, and for those who want to experience or admire Amy Lee in superb form. This is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent album, 5 Jan 2012
This review is from: Evanescence (Audio CD)
haveing bought all their albums, i was a bit worried what their new material would sound like. what can i say, dont hesitate in buying this album, good blend of rock tracks to ballards etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melodic, beautiful, ethereal... Evanescence at its best!, 17 Oct 2011
Patrick Kelleher (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evanescence (Audio CD)
First off, I've been an Evanescence fan since 2006 when I heard the haunting song "Lithium". I was blown away instantly, and I bought the album. The Open Door quickly became my favourite album, and I never thought I would hear something that I enjoyed more.

Five years on, I have done. Evanescence's latest release is the embodiment of Evanescence, and shows the band at a finally perfect stage. The album opens with the insanely catchy "What You Want", a song that, although flopped in the singles charts, really is ingenious. However, this song, although fantastic, is only a small taster of what's on the album. "Made of Stone", "The Change", "My Heart Is Broken", are all intriguing songs and have that typical Evanescence quality that we all know - Amy Lee's soaring, ethereal vocals dance over the instruments, and they compliment each other more than ever before.

The album also has some of the band's heaviest tracks to date: Never Go Back and The Other Side come to mind. They groove through you as you listen, and you won't be able to stop tapping your feet to the beat! Swimming Home is, for me, the most interesting and intriguing song on the album. This song shows a whole new side to Evanescence; a side that previously lurked beneath the heavy surface. Its smooth electronic beat and Amy's soothing vocals combine to make a beautiful and totally different ballad; a wonderful gem on the album.

The four deluxe tracks are surprisingly some of the best on the album. New Way to Bleed, Disappear and Say You Will, although slightly generic titles, prove to combine Evanescence's signature sound with something different, although I can't quite put my finger on what that is. Secret Door is the real hidden highlight on this effort. It showcases Amy Lee's harp playing skills, which she only recently acquired. But other than that, it shows that haunting side combined with that soothing side we saw in Swimming Home. This last song also combines with Lost in Paradise as being the signature ballads on the album.

Overall, this album is, in my opinion, Evanescence's best to date. The only problem? Many fans, particularly those who miss Ben Moody and the Fallen days seem to dislike it because of the change in sound. I personally think the change has made the band stronger, and I hope this will mark a new beginning for Evanescence.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Evanescence (Audio CD)
I've waited years for this album & had actually given up hope that it would ever happen! Not disappointed, great album :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 10 Dec 2011
This review is from: Evanescence (Audio CD)
There is no doubt that Evanescence does have a lot of new sound to them! At the beginning I was scared of it but I must say I am not disappointed at all! I'm their fan since 2005 and to me they changed in all the good ways finally becoming a wonderful, strong band.

This album is amazingly heavy (defiantly heavier than their two previous albums) with Amy's voice better and stronger than ever! I think that if you are a rock fan it doesn't matter if you have been Evanescence's fan before or if you are new to their music - you will love this album anyway!

Definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Evanescence, 7 Dec 2011
This review is from: Evanescence (Audio CD)
Well she might have an entirely new band, but wow, what a come back. This is storming, I think it is a worthy successor to the first two albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Evanescence again, 5 Dec 2011
This review is from: Evanescence (Audio CD)
I like very much this album , i hope that evanescence continue with this type of sound and are waiting for a new album .

Evanescence
Evanescence by Evanescence (Audio CD - 2011)