5.0 out of 5 stars As Good As It Is Likely to Get, 30 Nov 2011
Roger Rebec "Roger Rebec" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Follies (Audio CD)
The great thing about this new cast recording of "Follies" is that it is greater than the sum of its parts. All admirers of this score would have liked the original cast of 1971 to have recorded the score in its entirety. Sadly, that did not happen but this is as close as we are likely to get to that perfection. Most of us will probably have a performance from one of the other four "Follies" cast recordings that he or she prefers to the one on this recording but, of all the recordings so far made, this is the one that most encapsulates what "Follies" is about. Enough dialogue is included to set the songs clearly in context, the performers are well into their roles, the orchestra and the conducting are exemplary, the sound quailty is first rate and the booklet is informative. There really is not much more that anyone could want.

The version of the score used in this production is the original from 1971 but Vincent and Vanessa are omitted so we do not get the Bolero d'Amore. I personally prefer "Ah, but Underneath" as Phyllis' folly rather than "The Story of Lucy and Jesse" but the recording reflects the current production and "Lucy and Jessie" is very well performed indeed. We are still going to need the other records in our collections though. Despite the disfiguring cuts, the original cast broad something very special to the table; the London Cast has some songs you won't find anywhere else; the Concert Recording from Carnegie Hall highlights a very special event; and the most recent complete recording has the Bolero d'Amore and a host of songs replaced by others during the gestation period of tis truly remarkable score. However, none of the other recordings gets to the ehart of "Follies" as well as this one. Tommy Krasker and Philip Chaffin have done a superb job producing this album. Thank you, gentlemen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: Follies (Audio CD)
I am a Sondheim fan & was recently in this show. This is a great version with some useful dialogue to keep the story moving. It lives up to the hype!

5.0 out of 5 stars next best thing to being there, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Follies (Audio CD)
I think I have every recording of Follies on vinyl, but his CD recording of the 2011 Broadway revival is my favourite. One of the reasons why I love this recording is because in between the songs are extracts from the books dialogue, so you really get a sense of a story unfolding in front of you rather than just a collection of great songs.Bernadette Peters is ( for me ), the definitive Sally Durant, just the right mix of vulnerability and annoyingness, a lost soul. When she says; " I'm 49 years old, that's all I am. What am I going to do?" it's such a wake up call for a woman who has managed to spend all her life cocooned in a fantasy world of her own making - genuinely tragic and hopeful at the same time. Maybe because I was fast approaching 49 it affected me more than it might affect others !

The really interesting thing about Follies, and maybe the reason why it's never been a great public success, is that these people that we have to spend a couple of hours with, are not very nice people. But the brilliance of the songs reveal why they are like they are. Jan Maxwell is amazing as Phyllis, you end up actually liking her, she allows just enough of the Lucy into her Jessie so to speak. Infact we end up, if not exactly liking all the characters, then at least we care for them.

Hard to imagine anyone singing Im Still Here after Elaine Strich original version ( there's a video on YouTube ), I would imagine any actress would be scared to death of covering that song with Elaine looking over their shoulder, but Elaine Paige doesn't try to steal it from her. Hers is a different performance entirely, it's a fun performance.

This is how a stage recording should be, not just a set of songs, but a taste of the actual show. Treat your self to a copy

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous album, Especially Elaine Paige, 6 Dec 2011
W. Edwards "Wayne Edwards- Author of "Ali... (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Follies (Audio CD)
This new cast album is really fantasic.I had to listen to the whole thing first off it's so good.You can really feel feel the atmosphere of this great production, but most of all, and wait for it!!! ELAINE PAIGE'S version of ''I'm still here'' is truly fantasic.The lady just get's better and better.I't worth it to buy this album just to listen to her alone.Great!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Is it a Follie, 30 Dec 2011
T. Smith "Our Tone" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Follies (Audio CD)
I have seen stage versions of the show, I have a couple of soundtracks and purchased this out of curiousity. The overall ablum is very good, unfortunately the weakest link is Elaine Paige's rendition of "I'm Still Here", not a song best suited for her otherwise remarkable talents. she is no Carlotta, sorry.
Tony

5.0 out of 5 stars Not seen the show, 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: Follies (Audio CD)
The recording was a surprise in that it was a double disc. With an excellent booklet in it. The actual recording is of excellent quality. But somehow I iss the fact that it wasn't a live recording. Which always brings that special atmousphere
especially as in my case I was in a different country to the production.
I have other recording of Follies including the DVD brought from Amazon of the concert recording, which is sadly badly edited, but has great feeling to it.Follies: New Broadway Cast RecordingFollies in Concert [DVD] [1985] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
However it adds to my Sondheim collection very nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 26 Jun 2012
This review is from: Follies (Audio CD)
This is the must have CD for the people who couldnt get to New York to see the show. Amazing line up of incredible voices and Elaine Paige and Bernadette Peters are the Divas to bow down before. Sensational.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding production and recording, 30 Jan 2012
This review is from: Follies (Audio CD)
Was fortunate to see this production pre Broadway in Washington.

Great cast, great direction and great singing. Well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful offer!, 29 Dec 2011
This review is from: Follies (Audio CD)
Having seen this fairly recent revival on Broadway in early Autumn it was terrific to see it on offer on Amazon so soon. The service was swift and efficient and the cd does not disappoint being both challenging and evocative of the production. Thoroughly recommend for all Sondheim enthusiasts.

Follies
Follies by Stephen Sondheim (Audio CD - 2011)