on 25 May 2015
A surprisingly well written book for a genre of this nature. He captures the atmosphere of New York very well from my tourist viewpoint, I can feel the sweat of a scorching summer heatwave in the city that never sleeps. The cultural and spiritual understanding of Japanese martial arts is first class, I guarantee you will learn a few things even if you know Japan! Overall excellent Martial Arts fiction, if your a martial artist especially of Japanese styles then try reading something completely different, you will not go wrong with this book!
on 2 May 2014
As a long standing Martial Artist it is perhaps suprising that I haven't delved into the MA fiction before, but I was very happy to discover this author. I would recommend it not only to Martial Artists but also to fans of crime fiction/murder mysteries, as the books are a refreshing cross over between the two genres. It is told almost exclusively from the perspective of an Irish American academic Connor Burke, who is a long standing student of Yamashita - a old school Japanese Sensei - and is also brother to a Homicide detective.
on 31 October 2012
Ok I liked this book, I liked the characters and the interactions especially those moments between Burke and his Sensei. The story flowed and was a good idea. But not enough action for me not enough martial arts! I realise the subtlety of it all but I needed a bit more slam bang action as in those 70's Kung fu thrillers.
Still a very good read by an author who knows his stuff and its place today's world.
on 5 May 2015
Crikey! What a lot of Japanese, culture and martial arts information I acquired!

It ticks along, but I think it may be too specialised a genre for me. I didn't appreciate the elegance and subtleties of the action scenes, nor of the training. Good book if you are starting from a less ignorant base, though.
on 30 August 2014
Wow. Finally a martial arts thriller by someone who knows what they are talking about. This is very much in the tradition of Eric Van Lustbader and Marc Olden but arguably far more accurate martial arts wise and more up to date. Great story. After reading this I read the next 3 immediately.
on 14 November 2014
The first book in the series is the more interesting the others are repetitive. There is less educational value as fiction replaces fact which was no so in the first book.
on 2 October 2014
Maria's arts, and cops not a new theme but well done. Almost rounded characters that have space to grow certainly more readable than Lustbader.
on 11 May 2004
Whether you like police thrillers or martial arts fiction there is a lot to enjoy in this first fiction novel by (non-fiction) martial arts writer John Donohue.