4.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for your buck?
I settled on this tv after deciding I wanted the cheapest CFL 32inch LCD tv from a big trusted manufacturer, with full HD 1080-p and freeview-HD. This toshiba ticked all the boxes and I am not disappointed! Although it seems to have gone up in price since I bought it...?

Published on 6 Oct 2011 by fullthrottle

3.0 out of 5 stars Another good but could be better!
As with other reviewers we spent days and days researching televisions before finally, and with some trepidation, opting for this one as we had previously been Panasonic aficionados. Thanks to Amazon Prime it arrived the next working day, nice especially during the Christmas/New Year holiday week!

On unpacking the first things that struck us were; nice to have...
Published on 9 Jan 2012 by Dr Stan

3.0 out of 5 stars Another good but could be better!, 9 Jan 2012

On unpacking the first things that struck us were; nice to have the stand attached from the factory, and the weight, or lack of it! A whole 9Kg (without stand attached as we were wall mounting it) made it feel very light in comparison with our "main" television, an older model LCD 32" Panasonic but we quickly discovered where the weight saving has been made and more on that shortly. One thing to say is that the quality of construction/finish is first class, with a thin side bezel, slightly thicker upper and lower bezels. Very classy and not at all "budget" looking.

So, then we connected it up in the spare room and (having found the tiny on/off switch at the side of the set!) waited. As per other reviews (and as it quite clearly states in the instruction manual) it does take a while (30-45 seconds or so?) to fire up with a picture and the menu response is slower than other models we've seen but it is acceptable. Auto-tuning and following the on screen prompts makes setting up a doddle. We also like the rather large, slightly retro-looking, remote control with its big chunky buttons, although agree that having volume/channel controls in the horizontal plane is counter-intuitive.

Picture quality; on SD, not bad, not bad at all, but then we were trying to compare it to a Panasonic which cost more than double two years ago! At least the Toshiba comes with Freeview HD built-in and this is where it excels! The picture quality in Freeview HD is very good indeed, especially for what is supposed to be a "budget" model. Connecting up external HD sources (easy thanks to the range of connectors available, rear and side), proves the value of going for a full 1080p screen, superb definition, good blacks, excellent colour and warmth. As per another review, switch off "power-saving" mode within the menu and you'll see a difference immediately, especially if you then tweak the backlight. A good range of adjustments are available within the menus and I'd suggest taking the time to try them out.

So, that weight saving I mentioned earlier, where did it come from? Easy, the speakers, or lack thereof! The sound quality is very poor, very poor indeed! Thankfully we knew in advance that the television was going to be connected to external speakers (courtesy of the "old-fashioned" RCA phono sockets helpfully still fitted to the rear of this set) so we weren't too worried but if the in-built speakers are your only sound source you'll be disappointed, trust me! Even tweaking the settings could not bring up decent bass levels.

One other very minor niggle; why don't the machine screws that fit the base also fit the sockets for wall mounting brackets? Surely that small bit of design thought would be helpful for customers?

Instruction manual finally; Toshiba trumpet the fact they have saved 25,000 trees per annum by making the book small and allowing you to access the advanced instructions online, except the advanced instructions aren't online yet, just a copy of the book that comes with the television, at least not that I can find! Nice one Tosh!

So, good picture quality, very light weight, classy looking, excellent HD performance and ease of set up, but very poor sound quality so be prepared for that and buy some external speakers, then you get a television that starts to challenge far more expensive kit without breaking the bank.

Edit 17/01/2011: Thanks to MrT for adding a link to the online instruction manual but as mentioned above it is actually the same manual that comes with the television and doesn't cover all functions strangely enough. It is handy though; we found it prior to purchasing the television which meant we could check that it did come with required connections we wanted for our surround sound system (which it did). I'd recommend it for anyone thinking of purchasing this television as essential reading as it gives good insight into the features of the television. Oh, and after several weeks of owning the set we now spend more time watching this television than the more expensive Panasonic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for your buck?, 6 Oct 2011

Fantastic service from Amazon -it arrived within a couple of days of ordering with free delivery -amazing!
Easy to set up out of the box, the tv spent about 5 mins scanning the channels and was ready to go. Even the stand was already fixed to the base (although I will wallmount at some point)

The picture from the freeview HD channels is amazing and it does a pretty good job on the normal channels. I have had to fiddle with the settings to get the best picture for me (there is a backlight energy save mode which I turned off -it makes the picture too dark in my opinion -and I set the colour temperature to "cool" -more natural)

The sound is good in my opinion now I have tweaked it -I turned everything to max on the equaliser and the "effect" on.

I have this tv linked to an upscaling dvd player for normal dvds. Some are amazing quality with 1080p upscaling (eg. even dark scenes from 'the blue planet') but some are a little grainy, especially on dark scenes. The results seem to be variable depending on the dvd (do they come in different qualities?) One thing which has helped with this is tweaking the settings on the dvd player -it is now running in enhanced quality to improve the contrast between light/dark. The tv also has a "film mode" which shows the film in 24fps which improves the action scenes.

I don't game so I can't comment on gaming capabilities. It can also accept a usb stick, which I haven't tried.

If I had one gripe, it would be that the menus and electronic program guide are a bit annoying/slow to use. And it takes a while for the tv to show a picture after turning on. So that's two gripes -hence only 4stars. But I can put up with this for a few more notes left in my wallet from the cheaper price!

All in all, after considering all of the tvs/technology available for around this price from major manufacturers, I think this is a fantastic tv. It might take a bit of fiddling with the settings to get the most out of it.
Hope this helps someone!

5.0 out of 5 stars star pupil, 20 Oct 2011
I wanted a 32inch TV with 1080 and HD freeview, with great features, easy to use and also also not being some little known brand. This is the best and most competitively priced you will find. Especially if you watch amazon for a few days and catch it on a cheap day.
It arrived in two days, before even my account was debited! Straight out the box, stand attached, smart looking and a few minutes later - hey presto better viewing than on my 42inch top of the range Panasonic plasma which is only 18 months old and cost 3 times the price! Gutted!
Whilst I agree with "full throttle" the menu is a little slow to react, its better than any other supermarket shelf TV, which will be the same price if not more, the likes of which should be avoided - honestly what make is that you say?!! But at least it keeps the channel you were watching volume on whilst the program menu is displayed so you can still hear what you were watching and decide to go back if you hear something good.
If you don't mind 50Hz refresh, then this is a great TV.
You are one click away, hope this helps you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Night vision!, 12 Nov 2011
Nice picture, fabulously easy to set up. Picks up channels via a local tiny round aerial (like a coat hanger!). Haven't worked out all functions yet but set up and play no problem. Sound is better tahn I thought as is picture, very good price. Haven't worked out yet how to get channel previews and changing channels without using two buttons via the menu, I hope you can! As value for money for a full HD flat screen with freeview HD, I am very happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 star TV. Good job Toshiba!, 3 Dec 2011
I've had this TV for a week now so I think I'm ready to leave a review.

The picture quality in my opinion is amazing and comes very close to the more expensive models. I don't get the HD channels because of my aerial's capacities but even the regular channels are outstanding so I can only imagine.
The sound quality is good but I use a surround sound system so I never really hear the TV.
Appearance wise, it's black, sleek and shiny, just how I like it.
It's quite good for gaming too but you might want to consider the 40 inch instead of the 32 but the 32 (which I got) is very good too.

The cons are
1. it takes literally 60 seconds minimum to come on and you sit there wondering if you indeed pressed the power button
2. the Freeview doesn't have a reminder function. This I believe is unforgivable
3. The USB function is a bit slow and doesn't play video

All in all I think this is a 4 star TV.
I bought one of the ones that had been previously returned by a customer so I got £40 off. That makes it an even more spectacular bargain for me but I would still have paid full price anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 1 Dec 2011
I brought this TV for my bedroom and i can honestly say it's amazing. I have a Samsung full HD 1080p 40inch LED tv downstairs and this TV matches it toe to toe. The picture qaulity is amazing and the sound top notch, I found turning off the power saving mode made a massive difference in terms of colour and contrast so i recommend that's one of the first things you do. Make sure you dont do the same mistake i did when i first hooked it up to a power supply, there's a switch at the back of the TV which you need to switch on before you turn the TV on, if you dont do this it wont turn on. Overall a Wonderfull TV for a fantastic price.

5.0 out of 5 stars So very pleased, 7 Mar 2012
I dread buying a new TV; having to spend £100's and then might not be happy with the purchase.
I am quite fussy when looking at TV, as I was a BBC engineer.
Why did I worry? This TV is excellent, the HD pictures are superb.

All the other reviewers taking about slow menus, 1970's looking remote control are not wrong, but they are minor considerations when comparing cost with quality.
The set up was a piece of cake and I was watching TV withing 3/4 minutes. Load of inputs and you can deselect them in the menu if you are not going to use them and declutter the selection shown.

The on/off switch was a bit hidden; if you look at the back from the right hand side it is sort of hidden, but from the left hand side it's staring you in the face!

There were a few comments about the sound quality, but I have no issues with this at all.

Really pleased with this TV and don't hesitate to get one, especially at this cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars 40 inch tv, 14 Nov 2011
This review is from: Toshiba 40BV801B 40-inch Full-HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview HD (Electronics)
Excellent, very pleased, great value for the price tag, better performance than more expensive products.easy to use remote, easy to install,

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning TV, 17 Feb 2012
Picture quality 5 star, inputs for nearly everything, Freeview HD is easy to use and a great improvement over SD. Bads points NONE

5.0 out of 5 stars simply the best tv, 31 Dec 2011
budgie (Oxford, Oxon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I read all the previous reviews of this product and took the plunge! my TV arrived within 2 days and as has been previously stated the base is already fitted so No major fumbling with screws and yoga practice trying to fit it! I connected to mains and then the tv did the rest loading the channels in a couple of minutes and that was that! the sound was already how I like and for a flat tv is the right mix of bass and treble so haven't adjusted at all!! the picture is superb! knocks some more expensive tv's into touch! I Haven't noticed the so called delay with the remote, yes the tv does take about 30secs to turn from standbye to on! but I've known longer! I'm using a Humax freeview hd recorder with this product via hdmi and they seem a match made in heaven! I would recommend this to anyone who wants a fantastic tv and I paid less than £250 brilliant brilliant value!