on 14 December 2004
I was a bit disappointed in these books, because I love the Crown/Court Duel books so much. These are not like them at all. They seem to be for much younger girls, and there's no romance or anything. And it was weird but I did not really like Wren. I knew I was meant to, but she just seemed like too much of a typical, plucky, orphaned heroine - and she was too matter of fact and accepting of stuff. I have only read these books once - and I re-read EVERYTHING - so that tells you that they're not that great. But they are probably okay for younger readers.
on 2 November 1998
I read this book for the first time a couple years ago and I love it! Wren's character is beautifully well rounded: she is eternally sarcastic, loves anything to do with plays and the people who bring them to life on stage. She also loves magic and is eager to learn; in some cases too eager. She stands by her friends, would do anything to protect them. The story is original and well written, as are the other books in the series. It is a tale of one girl's bravery and courage used to save her best friend at all costs.