on 4 January 2012
We had a Miele vacuum cleaner for 15 years (passed down from a friend to my mother to me), so when I finally had to buy a new one it was quite clear to me which brand to choose. After seeing here on amazon that it the Which Magazine recommends the S2111, I purchased it and put it to use right away. I love it!! First of all, it's suprisingly lightweight, thanks to its wheels very easy to maneuvre- and it cleans, unbelievable! I especially love the additional tools that come with it, helps to clean the odd corner. It has different settings for carpet, wooden or stone floor and even if you want to hoover the curtains.I couldn't be happier about my purchase!
on 26 January 2012
My old workhorse, no-name bag-free cylinder vacuum, had started dying lately, so I'd been looking around for something "basic" in the sales. Chatting to some of my friends about it, BOTH recommended a Miele. Personally, I'd never heard of the make (I'm a bloke after all), but I did some research. To cut it short, I bought the S111 for £114..BEST VACUUM I'VE EVER HAD...and this is the cheapest and lowest power model in the range (1600W). I do the whole house (short pile carpets) on the LOWEST power setting and there is plenty of suck available...one pass and the dirt is gone!!At 1/2 power it'll suck the carpets off the floor. OK, you have to buy bags for it, but I get them cheap from Amazon,and you don't get the tickly throat scenario when emptying the old bag-less cylinder. If you want to clean your house more efficiently and quickly, just buy a Miele.
The accessories stand that fits to the base of the S2111 hose is a bit flimsy, but so what...just don't fit it!..a minor niggle!

I've vacuumed up 3 times this week already....must be a record for a bloke? :)
(I work from home and have a lot of people coming thro, daily)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 August 2012
Great suction on all types of floor, easy to maneouvre. The only bugbear is the very short lead which means you have to disconnect and move for each room.
on 24 August 2011
"After a hectic few weeks of continuously cleaning my carpets after all the bad weather we`d had, my "old faithfull" upright died a sudden death, a friend recommended that i look at the miele range of cylinder cleaners. Within days i purchased the Miele S2111 chilli red bagged cylinder cleaner, the variable suction power control was a very handy "must have" in tackling the every day cleaning. I found it unbelievable easy to use and cleaning the stairs, with the 1.8 m hose that stretched more than adequately for me, was a joy to use, even to useing the different nozzles which were supplied with it. I can only highly praise this "dynamite" of a cleaner, that not only cleans my home spotless and stores away in the minimum of space too."
on 24 August 2011
"A friend bought this vacuum a while back and I borrowed it one time. Wow, for the size it has amazing suction power and actually does what it should do (and other cheaper small cleaners fail to do). I had to buy one straight away!
It is quite expensive and you MUST change the bag when its full - but worth every penny. Highly recommended!"
on 14 November 2012
It was a choice between 3 hoovers and I'm glad I've made the right choice on performance;

1. Miele S2111; Incredible Performance and Quality for Price.
2. VAX Power 7; Bagless big 4L but maintenance hassle with filter issues.
3. Henry ; Realiable but too big and clumsy with enough power??
(Dyson - reviews suggest too much gimmick and overpriced).

Pros;
PRICE - At this price clearly the best performing hoover. Incredible suction.
QUALITY - Miele; German Engineering at its typical best. Upon opening the box,the machine looks at feels high grade. The quality is further reassured from the motors robust sound when in operation. The Bags are also of high quality materials.
PERFORMANCE - Immediately from the switch, you can feel the power from the rotars' suction and exhaust. Very Manueverable, with 3 freely rotating castors. Fits on stairs, and not too heavy. Picks up everything.
MAINTENANCE - Bagged, so therefore clean and hassle free and no mess. No filter clogging (as can be with Bagless). NO LOSS OF SUCTION. The bag is designed as additional filter too, brilliant!

Cons;
1. NO TELESCOPIC TUBE - THIS IS MY MAIN DISAPPOINTMENT. Available from next model up.
2. NO TOOL COMPARTMENT - available on most models
3. EXPENSIVE BAGS.

OVERALL 4.5*
5** Performance and Quality; feels like one priced at £200-£250.
4* Accessories have annoying issues.

In my opinion Miele make the best hoovers, hands down, but here they have held back on the accessories; if they had a telescopic tube then this model would have been the easily best buy in this price range. The competition all offer telescopic tube at this price range (£100-£150), shame Miele don't. However, still giving 5* due to sheer quality and performance.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 February 2013
Please bear in mind this is my opinion of the product though - your opinion may well be different.

Assembly - Quite simple.

Out of the box you get the main body of the Miele vacuum, connection hose, floor head, two fixed height suction pipes and a clip on tool storer that can be locked behind the main hose connection to the body of the vacuum. The handle, the hose, the suction tubes and the floor head all lock on/click into place via press release buttons. It is very much the same kind of process that all Miele and SEBO vacuums have. However, upon opening up the box as soon as it arrived from Amazon UK, I was disappointed to find that the suction tubes you get with this machine are not the telescopic height adjustable tubes you'll find with the more expensive, smaller bagged S6 cylinder vacuums or outgoing smaller bagged S4000 range. Although of fixed height position, at least the tubes have the same press release locks which are easy to take off should you require to get into awkward areas to clean and the Miele S2111 uses metal tubes and a 1.5 metre hose to get around.

General Performance

As with my previous Miele vacuum though, the S2111 is beautifully light to move across floors and carpets. It has a 1600 watt eco efficient and friendly motor and there is tons of suction available not just from the larger GN dust bags that require less changing compared to the FJM sizes I've had previously. On carpets, the new light floor head is a boon to have and it is very easy to change to hard floor with edge cleaning. If stubborn dirt doesn't get sucked up the first time, I only have to twist the easy to release suction dial up a notch and the dirt gets picked up in an instant! Although noise is usually quieter with Miele vacuums, the S2111 isn't as quiet as my previous 1800 watt Miele, so one can tell that there has been a sacrifice here in a lack of sound insulation. However, I can still hear the phone ring or door bell ring when the Miele is being used.

Although the tubes are of a fixed height, they came with a plastic hook on storer that allows the tubes to be unlocked and one stored on top of the other for storage. To be honest I don't like the idea very much as they have fallen off on my feet when storing the vacuum away. I just prefer to park up the Miele normally when it is being stored away - having the central park slot at the back of the machine is far more space efficient than the side park slots that previous and other Miele vacuums have, and I have already noticed the extra space because of it!

One of the better aspects of the MIele S2111 is just how cheap it is to maintain. It uses the larger dust bag that the more premium S5 and S8 cylinder vacuums use, so the 4.5 litre dust bags here are much larger than I'm used to and they're not as eager to fill up as quickly. They still cost the same price as the smaller ones I used to buy and they're still as easy to fit or take out. There's a mechanical dust bag indicator on top of the main lid that shows when the bag needs emptying. It isn't a light like SEBO's K1 has, but it is accurate enough if you leave this machine in the first two settings and don't necessarily put it into the highest setting all the time.

Downsides

The downsides are easier to spot - build quality is good for such a budget starter vacuum from Miele but it could be a lot better with telescopic height adjustable tubes fitted and a much longer hose, not to mention a much longer length of power cord. After checking the size, I find that it is a shorter length hose than what Miele usually provide with their higher priced vacuums and the fixed height tubes are great if you're 6ft and over, but for average height buyers, the tubes can appear to be too long and tall which creates a large amount of space between the user and the vacuum when generally vacuuming around a home.

Also, I have had some trouble removing the Super Air Clean filter grid inside the vacuum. This can take a few minutes because of the way the grid has been fitted, particularly if you want to avoid the smell of dust coming back into the room after three bags have been used and want to upgrade to the charcoal loaded Active Air Clean for smokers or pet owners. The HEPA filter is the next grade up and with both of these filters you have to remove the grid inside the Miele in order for them to fit and of course typically Miele, they cost a bit more money to buy singularly though tend to last a year to two years dependent on your home and cleaning needs.

The cord length is also 5.5 metres in length which is less than the S6 has and as such although the Miele is compact, the cord length could be a lot longer here. It can however be rewound by pressing the auto cord rewind pedal at the back of the machine and I have to keep my foot on the pedal as it lacks the 'Comfort" feature of the S6 where one tap rewinds it all back in. The Miele S2 is a bit slow with the operation here, having to continually pull the cord back out and then press the rewind pedal again. Not a problem I have found with higher priced vacuums from Miele previously where all the cord gets rewound back in straight away without hesitation or requiring to pull the excess cord out and push the pedal process again!

To conclude, the Miele S2111 is a budget starter Miele vacuum cleaner and certainly feels it with good and bad points about it. However, it is worlds away from the budget, poorly thought out bagless cylinder vacs you can buy that have to constantly cleaned out and provide too much noise. Though not as well made as the more expensive Miele S6000 or S5000 range, the Miele S2111 is a fair buy for those who want to try cleaning their home with a better thought out vacuum especially if space is at a premium. The better vac above this machine however is the Sebo K1 Airbelt - you get a lot more with the basic spec that the Miele S2, its main rival lacks despite a smaller dust bag on board and the costs with SEBO are far lower than Miele will ever be just by including 4 of the GN bags as standard compared to nearly double the amount sold by SEBO for similar cost prices.

Compact, beautifully lightweight with a large dust bag capacity and oodles of power with economic friendly power is how best I would describe the Miele S2111. It deserves five stars alone being a Miele, but the build quality and sacrifices with a high cost price count against it. Miele have made better vacuums than the S2 at a better price. Talking of which, when I bought this model from Amazon UK not so long ago, it cost me £142 (the price has now dropped on here) when I could have bought the Miele S4212 - however that model is much better made, far more robust but uses a smaller bag. Thus, the compromise for the bigger bag sadly also means a reduction in plastic quality and in the S2's case, a shorter hose length and a shorter cord. Thanks for reading. (c)NR2 2013.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 25 June 2012
We have an older Miele cylinder at home and when my elderly father's hoover packer up, it was time for a replacement. needed something light with great power, and this little Miele comes up trumps. It's like a Miele lite- just three attachments that fit on the handle (initially thought it would be rather useless, but is actually fine and is more reliable at keeping the tools in place than i would've imagined. The bag never seems to fill up- have used it a lot on this house and still the red indicator only ever shows when on maximum suction setting (rarely if ever needed).

Also pretty quiet for a hoover (yes, yes i know that's a brand name but it's habit!). Power cable and hose are both fairly short compared to the bigger Miele machines, but this is what makes it so very portable, up and down the stairs. I actually prefer this for everyday (not literally) hoovering to the bigger one.
on 13 January 2012
This an exellent value buy. Vacuums very well, very light to move around, very quiet and using just under three quarters of the power on carpets and just over half power on wooden floors, picks up cat hair very well indeed and picks up right to the edge. The bags are very easy to change and the filters very accsessible. My only criticism is be that the lead is is just over 5 metres in lenghth(very short)in comparison to my old Henry which was well over 9 metres long. That said it beats the Henry hands down on just about everthing else. Well worth the money, from Miel, a quality brand.

UPDATE 14/3/13
Be very carful with the dust bag it has a colour indicator showing when the bag is full. The indicator was showing that the bag was about 90 per cent full and the bag split so shut the vacuum down not working. £45 to be put right at service centre. I was told this is a common problem with these vacuums more than ever. Was advised to check and change the filter regularly as this is also a common problem with dust getting into the motor which is very susceptible to shutting it self down. Never had this carry on with my old Henry.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 June 2012
Very light and easy to use. Extremely efficient cleaning power and adapts well to different surfaces. Tools are useful but the tool holder attached to the handle is poor and catches on things.w