Format: Kindle Edition|Change

A book provides a brief overview of HTML5

When I saw the cover in the classic O'Reilly style with the traditional line drawing that accompanies this series of books, I was expecting something with a bit of depth and technical content. But unfortunately this wasn't the case as there was very little. This is really more like an extended magazine article by Brian McLaughlin, who is also a staff writer for the publisher. I finished it over a lunch break.

Then again this is a free download so perhaps I was expecting too much from this book.

The author outlines the new 'audio' and 'video' tags that he suggests encourages sharing of content, along with 'canvas' - a new HTML5 feature which enables you to draw within the page. These can be controlled programatically with Javascript.

McLaughlin's main thesis is that HTML5 is more geared toward a semantic web than the current HTML4. He also heavily promotes the idea that content can be grabbed from other web sites and that the authors of said web sites should be happy about that. This is something that as a generator of original web content myself I find difficult to agree with.

Overall, it was an useful read about HTML 5 over a lunch break but I didn't really feel like I had learned a huge amount. I would imagine that it is probably geared towards people who have heard of HTML5 and want to know what it is all about but without any of the technical detail that often comes with books such as this.
on 1 November 2011
I guess it's harsh to give a bad review to a free "book"... but this isn't a book at all.

It reads more like a (very) brief overview of what HTML 5 is, with absolutely no guts at all. The same kind of HTML 5 overviews can be found on numerous websites.

Readable, for 5 minutes, but ultimately a pointless download.
on 12 August 2014
Ok, so you shouldn't really look a gift horse in the mouth and all that, but honestly, this book was a complete and utter waste of time. More than anything else, it doesn't actually even bother to ask the question it set out to answer. Rather, it's just seems like the author was in a rush to put down on paper what his thoughts and more than anything else, strong opinions are on the subject of HTML5, without really delving into HTML5 and providing any level of reader some decent background information on the technologies involved. It is also quite badly written, without any sense of flow or direction.

I read it in around 20 minutes, but honestly I wish I'd spent that time doing anything else.

If you want a decent introduction to HTML5, then I would recommend searching the web or buying a book such as HTML5 for Masterminds revised 2nd Edition, it's going for a great price at the moment and seems to contain a lot of decent content.
on 2 April 2014
I am a software engineer and was expecting this text to be more engineering oriented. It turns out to be more about the philosophy of the web than anything else.

It is not even fun to read. Save yourself a couple of minutes and stay clear of this little article. There are much more useful articles on the Web.
on 4 September 2015
This product has some value but is incredibly low depth. It argues for the semantic web and says HTML5 is a good vehicle for that. Oops! I just gave away the whole story. To have any credible worth, this text should be updated to include some of the how (just a few simple examples) which would enable it to carry its message to the reader beyond just being a fluff piece on the current standard.
Useful introduction that emphasises the important differences between HTMJ5 and earlier versions.
Primarily that its an attempt to assemble a standard web page from its parts wherever they're held and how HTML5 fits in with the semantic web.
Personally I rate the semantic web as a bit of a non starter, for a variety of reasons.
However for free definitely worth a look.
on 6 December 2013
I found it a bit basic. I had expected more detail but it is a free Kindle download after all
on 13 April 2013
I already had a basic idea of what HTML 5 was before I read this book - now I feel as though that has been confused. The writer seems to focus too much on how HTML 5 works with JavaScript, even though I'm sure that's very good to know, I just want the basics on HTML 5 itself.

Good thing it was free; there are better books out there I'm sure!
on 6 February 2013
This is good if you don't like too much Jargon or being thrown in at the deep end.
Discusses differences between HTML5 and HTML4 without confusing
Does not get too caught up in scripting or showing off authors knowledge

Only negative is that the book wasn't big enough
on 20 February 2013
Anyone looking to learn HTML5 should really look elsewhere. McLaughlin explains the reasoning and philosophy behind the latest incarnation of the web page writing language. Interesting, but far from essential reading.