VINE VOICEon 26 October 2012
This book is good for the brain and I'd recommend it; it casts a new light on old, often hackneyed phrases and demonstrates why we should never stop thinking and questioning.

I had one big bugbear with it, however, which may not bother other readers but bothered me. The author, as he does in all the other books of his I've read, insists on exclusively using the female personal pronoun. That's EXCLUSIVELY. Now, I know why he does this, and that's because up until very recently it has been the male pronoun exclusively used, and this is his reaction to that. He thinks it right and just; in fact he think it's not even worthy of comment.

In my opinion, it's deeply irritating. After it's happened a few times it completely takes you out of the text. It's absurd, an over-reaction, a silly, militant thing to do. Okay, so he's setting himself up as the polar opposite of AC Grayling, but surely the best policy is to MIX the gender pronouns - that's what the best authors do.

For me it was a blight on an intelligent and interesting book.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse