Colour: Purple|Change

on 21 March 2012
I love walking outdoors in the local nature parks etc but I have a bit of a balance problem due to an ear disorder and I can be a bit wobbly at times and walk very slowly and I also have asthma. I also need to burn a few more calories so I want to be able to walk a bit faster. A friend treated me to these walking poles and they provide just enough support for me to feel confident about walking again and now he's having a job keeping up with me!!! They're lightweight, easy to adjust for height and the wrist loops allow me to stop and lean on the sticks when I need to get my breath. The fact that you're not really leaning on them as you would with the average walking stick with the L shaped handle means you can have them higher than average and you also get a bit of arm exercise while you're walking. They're a Godsend for those who lack a bit of confidence walking without any aids and I love the purple colour that I chose. I bet if the manufacturers widened the colour variety and produced some bright and cheery colours, they'd sell loads more. I've had a few admiring looks from people. So these poles don't have to be just for serious hikers they're great walking aids for those of us who just want to amble around or go to the shops. And they're affordable too. Many thanks!
11 comment|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 July 2012
The walking poles were purchased for my mother who at the age of 93 still likes to get out for a good walk. She thought the poles were lighweight and because the length can be altered much more comfortable than a walking stick. When using a walking stick the tendencey was to bend, with walking poles she was able to adopt an upright posture. Overall she was very satisfied with her purchase.
C Lovett (son)
on 2 May 2013
My wife and I recently bought two pairs of 'Trekrite' trekking poles. I bought the plain silver ones which are fine but we ordered the Women's version for my wife, even though she wasn't keen on the colour.

When they arrived, she wished we'd ordered two pairs of the silver ones. There is no noticeable difference in the sticks apart from the handles of the Women's version which is much more clunky and too big for her to use comfortably, so I it looks like I shall end up using them and look pretty in purple.

Unless you are particularly keen on the colour, I wouldn't bother with the Women's version - stick to the regular ones, they are much nicer with handles much better suited to smaller hands.
66 comments|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 September 2012
I found this product really comfortable to use and especially liked the "one-turn" spring motion which was great for uneven terrain. The poles arrived very quickly from supplier. Hand grips are comfortable, amount of height variation more than adequate and love the purple colour:)

Please Note:- be careful when you first adjust the height/length of your poles that you do not go past the marked line. I rushed into mine and over extended the poles and then could not get them back in. I had to ring the supplier for help. However, they were more than helpful and I was sorted in a quick time and I now know how to fix them again if ever the need arises.
on 6 June 2012
The poles are very good value, seem to be strong and sturdy, so far. My only criticism is that they are rather long, not suitable for putting in a backpack. on reflection, I should have gone for a more compact model.
on 9 July 2012
Good value. Turn the end of the pole to lock it in place not the black sleeve type part!
One click / turn anti clockwise makes them act like shocks / makes them spring loaded.
on 9 July 2013
I gave one of my poles to a friend we climbed Scafell Pike, I am almost 70, we both agreed they were a tremendous help and will never walk/climb without them , next stop Ben Nevis...
on 1 April 2012
Pair of Trekrite Women's Antishock Hiking / Walking Poles - PurpleI've used my walking poles three times now on all types of ground, including very rough and hilly, and as I had both hips replaced last year they give me the total confidence I need. I'm very satisfied!
on 19 April 2014
My lovely partner bought me these for my birthday in October because I am dyspraxic and I also suffer from balance problems caused by vertigo. They have just come back from a 9 day walk on the West Highland Way where they were used pretty much constantly - I used one, the other was used by my male walking partner who is a rather large chap and who used it pretty heavily for support; and I honestly cannot fault them. They are exceptionally useful for parts of the WHW where a bit of extra leverage and/or balance is required, such as the parts around Inversnaid where there are a lot of streams to cross and scrambly bits - having the pole gave me a lot more confidence as I could use it to gain more support in trickier areas where I may nornally have tripped or lost my balance. I also find them invaluable for steep downhills, as they really help my poor 41 year old knees that have suffered from past athletics injuries and aren't as good as they could be.

They might not be as thin and funky looking as some of the other poles on the market; but they do the job perfectly. Judging by the amount of broken, far more expensive poles I saw cluttering up the trekker cabins on the WHW, this is a case of quality for a really decent price!
on 23 July 2013
I bought these to complete the Three Peaks Challenge. They were great. They were easy to use and worked well. I did not get any blisters from them and the 'antishock' meant that there was a little give which was useful. I was glad I bought them because they made climbing three mountains slightly easier!